Author Topic: Handlebar / bike wobbling  (Read 3781 times)

Offline paul.chucky

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000
  • City / Town: leeds
Re: Handlebar / bike wobbling
Reply #30 on: 06 July, 2021, 08:27:52 PM
Clearly there is something causing the issue  eventually i will get to the bottom of the cause.
A lot of owners seem to have  the  problem  wether mild or severe.
The bikes are very good all round (somewhat the mondeo of bikes)  and i want to keep it longtime
waters wet s**t stinks

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Reply #31 on: 07 July, 2021, 12:49:26 PM
Paul.  Has anyone else experienced this on your bike ?
I'm wondering a) what they'd find,
and b) have you had it since new (any chance of previous crash history) ?
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline paul.chucky

• CBF Member
Reply #32 on: 10 July, 2021, 10:58:02 AM
jm2  everyone who has ridden the bike tell me it does exactly what i say it does and all concerned are still scratching their heads  :027: :027: :027:
waters wet s**t stinks

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Reply #33 on: 10 July, 2021, 05:30:59 PM
Something physically there then.
I'd be looking at alignments - wheels/forks/frame.  Odd though if it is so particular i.e. only when easing off from xx mph, no hands etc. and so repeatable.

You didn't mention any crash/drop history.

Has it been lowered (or raised!) in any way ?

- I know you didn't come to this post for "more input" but, well, I'm interested.
I did recently 'check' mine. I'm not one for riding around twiddling my thumbs together but do believe the bikes should be inherrently stable.  Whilst I didn't move very far away from the grips it did nothing unexpected from a run in 6th down to 40mph or so on a straight road; no shakes and no need to regrip. Mine's a mkII though, well run-in tyres, one up, calm day.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline paul.chucky

• CBF Member
Reply #34 on: 10 July, 2021, 07:02:25 PM
It is somewhat of a mystery i`m getting to the stage where i`m starting to think of silly things that could be an issue  i might even try putting nitrogen in the tyres instead of air
waters wet s**t stinks

Offline Dodek

• CBF Newbie
  • Bike: CBF1000 MK2
Reply #35 on: 02 January, 2022, 04:16:27 PM
Did anyone install a steereng damper ?  I have one from my past CBR and i want to use it

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
Reply #36 on: 03 January, 2022, 05:06:26 PM
*Originally Posted by paul.chucky [+]
It is somewhat of a mystery i`m getting to the stage where i`m starting to think of silly things that could be an issue  i might even try putting nitrogen in the tyres instead of air
I think you'd find it a waste of time! It won't have any affect on steering - how could it? (Let's face it ordinary air is mainly nitrogen!)
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
Reply #37 on: 03 January, 2022, 05:15:21 PM
Many riders have experienced this wobble at certain speeds if they take their hands off the handlebars, I for one. After getting the head bearings replaced it was slightly better, but decided that it didn't matter to me as I don't often let the bars go! (Only the lightest of touches was required to keep them 'stable'. There is a learned document somewhere that explains the design conflicts between stability and agility. But of course riders come in many 'designs' so sometimes in an effort to give us 'quick' steering while keeping the bike stable can have some repercussions, such as what you are getting. Naturally that assumes there is nothing fundamentally wrong mechanically- which I doubt. :169:
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline Dodek

• CBF Newbie
  • Bike: CBF1000 MK2
Reply #38 on: 04 January, 2022, 10:31:21 PM

If you put your weight in the direction of the fuel tank, the weight distribution changes and the front wheel is heavier and the steering wheel does not flutter, even on a worn front tire.

I think that in MK2 the problem is the greater distribution of the weight on the rear wheel - the front is too light and it flaps, this phenomenon is exacerbated by the lifting of the windshield-fairing up

Online Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #39 on: 05 January, 2022, 09:39:15 AM
Exactly that weight distribution and keep to the motorcycle, pannier and top box loading limits.