Author Topic: Handlebar / bike wobbling  (Read 2065 times)

Offline Rockybustard

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000
  • City / Town: Birkirkara
Handlebar / bike wobbling
on: 22 June, 2021, 06:34:38 PM
Sorry to say but Iím looking for some help and this site is so user unfriendly I cannot find anywhere to write my query!!

I will write here hoping someone will guide me through!!

I have a 2008 Honda CBF1000 with only 16,000 miles on the clock. I am not used to let go off the handlebar whilst driving but I did it last week and the bike wobbled violently. I donít think itís normal, but for the boys who have one is surely easy to answer!!

Many thanks

James

Online jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Re: Handlebar / bike wobbling
Reply #1 on: 22 June, 2021, 10:17:55 PM
Here's an unfriendly reply for you then.

It is more usual to introduce yourself first, rather than wade in saying we're unfriendly and I want an answer to my problem.
We know you've only joined because you have a problem (a lot do) but if you are nice we might be too.
In truth we are not unfriendly but opening posts like that aren't going to help.

I'll leave you with; the 'search' function here is reasonable and free too. 
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #2 on: 23 June, 2021, 06:19:47 AM
I think he meant he found the forum to be user unfriendly not the forum users. However, how anyone can miss the 'New Members Section' and Big Bear's 'New Members Read Me' thread or the 'Suspension, Forks, Steering and Chassis Set Up' Section beggars belief, I'll put it down to frustration and maybe English is not the posters first language so I'll offer a clue...

If I was a gambling man I'd wager you have a large top box!

Offline Hagar

• CBF Legend
  • City / Town: Aberdeen
Reply #3 on: 25 June, 2021, 04:30:33 PM
This has been asked sooo many times over the years with suggestions ranging from too big a top box, tyres both front and rear needing replaced/ under/ over inflated, front suspension, wind shield in the wrong place etc etc. The bottom line is, why would you want to take both hands off the bars?

Oh  :405:

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #4 on: 25 June, 2021, 05:22:31 PM
Taking both hands off the handlebars is something some folk do. I used to do it regularly on my Bonne' to stretch my back, less frequently now having got the MS60 for my efforts.

Its normal to get some handlebar oscillation when both hands, or even one hand, are removed from the bars because in doing so you shift your body weight back which places more weight on the rear wheel and less weight on the front wheel. Handle bar oscillation can be experienced to a greater or lesser degree from mo'cycle to mo'cycle and not just Honda's or CBF's either. The most common contributing factors are large top boxes, overloaded top boxes, overloaded panniers, carrying pillions especially if they have a tendency to lean back. Anything that shifts weight off of the front wheel and onto the rear wheel or, adds weight to the rear wheel without the appropriate suspension set up has the potential to cause handlebar oscillation. Of course there are other contributing factors or issues that could cause handlebar oscillation including worn or poorly fitted tyres, worn or poorly adjusted suspension, worn steering head bearings, worn wheel bearings, warped brake discs etc.

The bottom line is there are far too many factors that could cause handlebar oscillation to generalise why it is happening on any particular mo'cycle although, assuming the rolling chassis and suspension are serviceability there is one universal cure - fit a steering damper!

Offline edger

• CBF Master
Reply #5 on: 25 June, 2021, 07:54:27 PM
I fitted a Avon Storm Ultra I had in the back of the workshop after the rear Mitas SPORT FORCE passed its best --- She wobbled like a good un
Now with the rear now replaced normal service has been restored and the only bar movement is when she skips off the cats eyes in full attack mode   :001:

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
Reply #6 on: 25 June, 2021, 09:10:38 PM
The CBF 'wobble' is minor whereas the police got 'tank slappers' on some of their bikes that killed some of them. I can't remember but I think they were BMWs with all the police gear loaded on them. And of course they were travelling slightly faster than you or I, or should I say I hope so!

As has been said there are so many factors but some of it is in the design to ensure the bike is easy to turn into corners. Too stable and the bike feels heavy and leaden too 'unstable' and it feels 'nervous'. As you know your CBF has a rear carrier that has some movement from side to side so that any 'fluttering' of a top box is damped.

With regard to taking your hands off the handlebars I found it was only as low speeds that I got a wobble, easily corrected by a light touch on the bars.

Don't worry - just enjoy! It is a great allrounder.
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline paul.chucky

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000
  • City / Town: leeds
Reply #7 on: 26 June, 2021, 10:10:02 AM
*Originally Posted by Art [+]
Taking both hands off the handlebars is something some folk do. I used to do it regularly on my Bonne' to stretch my back, less frequently now having got the MS60 for my efforts.

Its normal to get some handlebar oscillation when both hands, or even one hand, are removed from the bars because in doing so you shift your body weight back which places more weight on the rear wheel and less weight on the front wheel. Handle bar oscillation can be experienced to a greater or lesser degree from mo'cycle to mo'cycle and not just Honda's or CBF's either. The most common contributing factors are large top boxes, overloaded top boxes, overloaded panniers, carrying pillions especially if they have a tendency to lean back. Anything that shifts weight off of the front wheel and onto the rear wheel or, adds weight to the rear wheel without the appropriate suspension set up has the potential to cause handlebar oscillation. Of course there are other contributing factors or issues that could cause handlebar oscillation including worn or poorly fitted tyres, worn or poorly adjusted suspension, worn steering head bearings, worn wheel bearings, warped brake discs etc.

The bottom line is there are far too many factors that could cause handlebar oscillation to generalise why it is happening on any particular mo'cycle although, assuming the rolling chassis and suspension are serviceability there is one universal cure - fit a steering damper!

So Art why don`t my handlebars wobble when i wheelie  :084: :084: :150: :150: :150:
waters wet s**t stinks

Offline Rick

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000gt
  • City / Town: Matlock
Reply #8 on: 26 June, 2021, 10:52:23 AM
The bike Rev Ken refers to I believe was not a BMW but the early police spec Honda ST1300 Pan European's. 

Offline davidjg

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-C GT
  • City / Town: London
Reply #9 on: 27 June, 2021, 08:27:09 AM
The BMW police bike was also definitely affected and made the motorcycle press, they believe the problem was caused by the bikes going over a series of close bumps etc in the road.