Author Topic: Tyre choice for all round use on cbf 1000  (Read 752 times)

Offline Maddmarv

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 07 cbf1000 abs
  • City / Town: Colne
Tyre choice for all round use on cbf 1000
on: 13 June, 2021, 02:28:30 PM
Hi all need some advice use bought my 07 cbf 100 in feb and its been great use for motorway commute  36 miles  a day and as weekend bike.
The bike is very good but my rear tyre is already done !!! Dunlop sport maxx i have done a few thousand miles but its gone square.i have had tyres to 42 psi as recommended but cant afford to keep replacing tyres every 4 month or so. 

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
Re: Tyre choice for all round use on cbf 1000
Reply #1 on: 13 June, 2021, 11:18:01 PM
I've personally no experience with your mentioned Dunlop tyre, however, the Avon Storm 3D X-M, or Bridgestone Battlax BT 023 should easily get you over 5000 miles, even anywhere up to 10,000 isn't unheard of from either of those tyres. Though you'll definitely be getting some squaring off by the time you reach 10k  :008:

You don't say if the Dunlop tyre that's already on your bike was new, or not, when you got the bike.
How many miles did it already have on it?  :027:

Online Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #2 on: 14 June, 2021, 09:06:07 AM
For my two penneth I have the Bridgestone BT-023's on mine because that's what it came with and I got good mileage, good wet and dry performance and they compare very favourable on cost at Tyre Leader. I'm on the 4th pair now and get around 10,000 miles from them although I do get the odd rear end twitch from about 8,000 miles due to squaring off but they remained legal and I can handle that. Of course tyre mileage is very much related to riding style, for weekend ragging or when carrying extra load such as a pillion and/or luggage expect less.

Of interest this weekend I rode the RBLR1000 including the 500 mile ride to from the start in Leeds fully laden with the weekends camping kit, that came to 1,500 miles. Like the sensible chap I am I checked the tyres and measured the tread depth before setting off. Just for you, OK and maybe my own curiosity, I've now measured the tread depth post-ride. With 40 psi in the rear and 35 psi in the front I found what appears to be a tad less than 1 mm of wear off each tyre. Not too much of a scientific experiment, all measurements were taken by way of a quick glance using simple plunger type gauges. 

Offline Maddmarv

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: 14 June, 2021, 06:01:58 PM
Thanks for your feed back I've done about 4000 miles on the sport maxx.The riding has been solo however i do carry items in my panniers a fair bit.
I have had the CBF since feb this year and tyres were new and came with bike.
TBF i didn't realise i had clocked 4000 already and at times the bike has been pushed on weekend rides.

Offline Johndc

• CBF Newbie
  • Bike: CBF 1000 A
  • City / Town: Middlesbrough
Reply #4 on: 17 June, 2021, 10:50:46 AM
Another thumbs up for the Battlax BT-023's.

I replaced an older set of Bridgestone's (not certain what type) and put a new set on for a trip up to Scotland and they were great both in the dry and wet.

Offline dbrewerton

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A8
  • City / Town: Calgary, AB
Reply #5 on: 19 June, 2021, 02:55:02 AM
Personally I prefer the Michelin Pilot Road 4. Haven't tried the PR 5 yet, but I hear good things. On my second front now with it.

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
Reply #6 on: 21 June, 2021, 03:07:58 PM
*Originally Posted by dbrewerton [+]
Personally I prefer the Michelin Pilot Road 4. Haven't tried the PR 5 yet, but I hear good things. On my second front now with it.

I've had PR3, then PR4s, and now R5s, they are all outstanding in the wet so have no problems in the dry, but wear differently. Pr3s tend to 'scallop' the fronts; the PR4s worked well until they got near the limit when they tended to 'tramline'. R5s are more expensive but yet another step up. Am now on my second set (but not on my CBF1000 a my son has 'bought' it if you get my meaning!)

So you can guess I'm a 'Michelin Man' although I'm keepoing most of my weight off......
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline Steve_h

• CBF Newbie
  • Bike: CBF100 mk 2
  • City / Town: Teesdale
Reply #7 on: 21 June, 2021, 05:25:43 PM
36 miles a day commute is pushing 3k miles over 4 months, plus your weekend rides and you are easily at 5k miles which is about right for most rear tyres.
An alternative option is to go for an older, cheaper tyre and replace when necessary, I've just stuck a Metzeler Z6 boot on the back for about 80.

Offline Maddmarv

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: 21 June, 2021, 05:44:00 PM
Thanks for all the comments and feedback guys ive gone for the the bt23s they come Wednesday.The sportmaxx tyres that were on the bike were just cheap and supplied with the bike when i bought it.
I also must admit the old girl does well ride is smooth a bit of oversteer but once your used to it very flickable.Thanks again chaps.👍