Author Topic: Gear Indicator for 2007 CBF MODEL ‘A’  (Read 732 times)

Offline Riverman

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF 1000 A 2007
  • City / Town: Wirral
Gear Indicator for 2007 CBF MODEL ‘A’
on: 12 June, 2021, 12:03:53 PM
Apologies: I know that this subject has been covered extensively…but I NEED to fit a Gear Indicator as I’m really struggling with knowing/remembering which gear I am in. (Apologies again: this is my first motorcycle and only used it a few times)

I have read through some of the excellent posts and clicked on the links to the gear indicators for sale on eBay and Amazon but I’m going around in circles.
Initially all seems good but when I look at the models that they are for they are either generic 2007-2015 or listed as for the FA model or have a warning saying for Electronic Fuel Injection models only NOT carburettor FI models. When defining my model (Apparently 2007 A - NON-ABS) it comes up as ‘nothing found’? Don’t know if mine is EFI or CFI?)

Obviously don’t want to buy the wrong one.

Can I please ask for help?
Has anyone got a link to a Gear Indicator definitely suitable for my bike please?
Or will the ‘cheap Chinese’ one on eBay at about £31 or the IDEA one on Amazon at about £34 do the job?
Once again thank you very much for consideration of my question to members and knowledgeable advice given.
Thank you very much.
Regards
Riverman

Online jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Re: Gear Indicator for 2007 CBF MODEL ‘A’
Reply #1 on: 12 June, 2021, 11:06:04 PM
Polite note. If this is your first motorcycle and you've only used it a few times, what you need is practice.  Get used to it, note some speeds vs rpm, listen to and feel the engine.  Its no good a display distracting you to say, for example, '4'.  That could be perfectly correct or quite inappropriate (depends ...).
The neutral light flashes up if going into first from second (always a big warning beacon if you didn't really want first!).

If you really want one, search the forum for the ins and outs.  Some chinese ones are adequate, some a bit slow to respond.  BTW, they'll all pause/delay whilst changing gear as they need the speed/revs to match their table.

You want a CBF1000 or CBF1000A.  Someone might be along to say the F is exactly the same (I suspect it the same device but I don't know).

Then search the forum for posts that tell you how to find the diagnostics port on an A.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
Reply #2 on: 14 June, 2021, 12:01:06 AM
I've had a few tonight  :030:, so excuse me if I'm misinterpreting, but aren't all the Biffers PGM-FI? Have you got the DLC connector under the seat?  :084:

If so, check this thread here for advice, I also put some pics up how to wire it:

https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php/topic,21918.msg254081.html#msg254081

There's plenty of them available on ebay, such as:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/28018195174?iid=382439416327

Back to the :031:

Online Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #3 on: 14 June, 2021, 08:10:32 AM
Regarding the model what you have there is a Honda SC58. They were manufactured between 2006 and 2012, parts supplies refer to them as the 2006-2009 model so as not to confuse them with the later SC64 model manufactured from 2010-2013. The later 2010-2012 SC58 models only came with ABS. Your 2007 model without ABS is further classified as a CBF1000-7 (there is no A which refers to ABS). On here they colloquially refer to it as a MKI but that's of no use outside of this forum or when ordering parts. Properly described as Honda intended your motorcycle model is a 'SC58 CBF1000-7'.

All CBF1000's are PGM-FI controlled models which stands for Programmable Fuel Injection, they do not have carburetors. The PGM-FI module is part of the Electronic Control Module (ECM) and can be accessed via the Diagnostics Link Connector (DLC). The DLC socket is a red 4 pin socket found hidden in plain view under the riders seat in a clear plastic sheath just in front of the main fuse box. There's a picture of one in this thread here the picture shows it behind the ABS module which your model doesn't have but shows you where to find it all the same.

There are two types of gear indicator one is an electronic hook up and connects to the PGM-FI System by simply plugging it into the DLC socket. They are plug and play and described as model specific but so long as they are described suitable for a CBF1000, or any other Honda motorcycle with the PGM-FI Fuel System, they will be suitable. The other type, which you don't want, is more of a mechanically device which is attached to the gear lever or gear linkage, they can be a bit of a fiddle to set up and if your ever select a false neutral they need re-setting.

If you're on a limited budget this one should be OK Note this is not a recommendation and I do not have one, just what I found with a quick fleabay search and if it is as described by the seller it should be fine. I was once tempted to order one myself but once you get more used to the motorcycle you'll recognise from the sound of the engine when you need to change up or down, you will also become more familiar with which gear you're in according to RPM vs speed. The most useful for me being in 6th gear 3,000 RPM = 50 MPH and stops me looking for a 7th gear.

edit: I should have read the whole thread sound advice too from JM2 and Shed
Last Edit: 14 June, 2021, 08:13:52 AM by Art

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2021, 09:23:44 AM
*Originally Posted by Art [+]
If you're on a limited budget this one should be OK

I'd be wary of that listing, as it is actually showing two different connectors in their pictures. You might get the correct one, you might not. Or do they send you both?  :084:  :027:  :008:
The correct connector, is the opaque white one, but the listing photos are also showing another connector, the orange ended one with a rubber surround. The orange one wouldn't fit the Biffer DLC connector.
Additionally, with the correct connector, there is no faffing about splicing into any wiring as shown in their dubious Chinglish fitting instructions either.

As I posted here, https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php/topic,21918.msg254081.html#msg254081 you simply put the wires into the connector block as shown in the photos & plug it onto the DLC connector. Job done.
The gear indicator with the connector type here, https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/28018195174?iid=382439416327 is the correct one.

Incidentally, as a side note, in many listing photos the gear indicators often seem to have 'Gear' or 'Honda' written/printed on them, but the few I've seen when they turned up didn't actually have anything written on them at all, just a plain LCD unit.
Last Edit: 14 June, 2021, 09:59:38 AM by Shed

Online Art

• CBF Legend
Reply #5 on: 14 June, 2021, 01:34:16 PM
Fair comment but isn't the orange bit just a blank covering for the connector?

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
Reply #6 on: 14 June, 2021, 02:19:38 PM
*Originally Posted by Art [+]
Fair comment but isn't the orange bit just a blank covering for the connector?

No. The rubber on the orange one is to create a watertight seal and is an integral part of the connector.
On that listing there are two different connectors with the catch mechanism and pin holes/locator hole orientation being different, to suit the numerous bike models they've listed.
One would assume they'd send you the correct connector though. Or would they?!  :084:

The OP's query relates to the MK1, which is the link I gave for the opaque white connector, which I know for a fact is correct and works.  :028:

Online Art

• CBF Legend
Reply #7 on: 14 June, 2021, 04:31:11 PM
Firm but fair, it may come with both plugs then again it may not.

Best follow Shed's post, I should have read the entire thread  :138:

Online jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Reply #8 on: 14 June, 2021, 10:39:19 PM
Didn't someone on here order one and it came with NO plug.   :005:
(Saves getting the wrong one!)
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Longside

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF 1000 2009
  • City / Town: Accrington
Reply #9 on: 16 June, 2021, 10:31:36 PM
Hi Riverman, I fitted one of the cheaper Chinese ones similar to the link shown in an above reply.
It has been on for 12 months now and working perfectly. I was looking for one with the connector/plug already fitted to make things easier for me, but it was better to get a loose connector to fit after the wires had been passed down the side of the tank, where a plug would not go, saving removing the tank etc. I pushed a single wire down the side of the tank looking between the forks, as read from a previous members post, then pulled the rest of the wires through taped to my single wire. Make sure you tape/ protect the lead end of the drawer wire so as not to scratch anything, as it may take a few attempts.
Post number 2 in gear indicator search.