Author Topic: Changing the water  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Changing the water
Reply #10 on: 20 June, 2021, 07:00:36 PM

:232: You're leaving it to idle for far too long, the thermostat is opening and you're wondering why the filler neck is over flowing! The advice given here is to 'leave it idling for 3 minutes', the advice given on fireblader.dk is as per the Honda workshop manual which is to 'let it idle for 2-3 minutes. ' Either follow the instructions or do it your way but don't do it your way and then come on here with your self inflicted problems.

To know if the thermostat is working correctly you remove it, inspect it and test it. Its all in the Workshop Manual Section 7 Cooling System pages 8 & 9 or maybe you should stick to making apple pie as it seems as if you shouldn't be allowed spanners.

Offline Teeron

• CBF Newbie
  • Bike: Mk1
Reply #11 on: 20 June, 2021, 07:47:53 PM
My bad I did it so many times that at some point fan was kicking after 3 minutes. Yes, 3 minutes i leave it to idle ,three...
And i have found that the thermostat is stuck and not reacting to hot water .  My question no 1 was is it normal that coolant is overflowing after 20 sec, and I will never know. Thanks a lot for help :152:

Was making pie first time in my life...

Last Edit: 20 June, 2021, 08:21:17 PM by Teeron

Offline knapdog

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Barry, Vale of G
Reply #12 on: 27 July, 2021, 07:27:39 PM
I'm a bit fed up with mine as well.
I changed the coolant last year but have never really been happy with the fact the fan comes on seemingly whenever I stop for around 20 or 30 secs with hot air wafting around me.
I was due to go to Spain in June but I don't know how I would have coped with the fan issue starting up in such a hot climate.
Took panels off this morning and coolant is full under the radiator cap and level in expansion tank never dips below max.
There could be trouble ahead. Went and had a look at the RT's in BMW Motarrad Cardiff. Have already previously owned two but swore I'd never entertain another BMW after reliability issues and cost of owning one outside warranty period. Never a good sign for what you have when you start considering what else is out there.
However, it would take a lot for me to change the biffer.
This is my second mk2 but didn't have the fan kicking in anywhere near so often on the 1st.
Last Edit: 27 July, 2021, 07:31:36 PM by knapdog
Stay between the hedges!

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
Reply #13 on: 28 July, 2021, 12:27:58 AM
There's more to the correct operation of the cooling system than topping it up with the correct amount of fluid. Have you checked the coolant specific gravity, thermostat operation, ECT sensor resistance, Radiator/System blockages and last but not least the water pump and impeller? All the specifications are in the Workshop Manual, if you haven't already you can download the Honda Workshop and Owners Manuals here.

Offline knapdog

• CBF Master
Reply #14 on: 28 July, 2021, 01:21:15 PM
*Originally Posted by Art [+]
There's more to the correct operation of the cooling system than topping it up with the correct amount of fluid. Have you checked the coolant specific gravity, thermostat operation, ECT sensor resistance, Radiator/System blockages and last but not least the water pump and impeller? All the specifications are in the Workshop Manual, if you haven't already you can download the Honda Workshop and Owners Manuals here.

Well thank you.
I am aware of how to flush out and replenish the coolant system as I downloaded the Honda Workshop manual last year to complete the task. I must have done 3 or 4 full flushes and followed guidelines on how to remove air locks. I also removed the radiator and checked it though as you would expect from a 5000 mile '17 plate, it was in excellent condition.
My bike has only done around 800 miles since the new coolant. I also flushed the system on my previous mk2 in 2014 without a problem.
The coolant used is as Honda recommended and I doubt if I would need to test the specific gravity.
I have removed the thermostat and tested it and that's fine although I've dropped the thermostat casing retaining bolt down into the engine and doubt whether I shall ever find it again. It's unlikely I have a replacement anywhere.
That leaves the ECT sensor resistance and water pump. I appreciate that they may be a problem but the bike is as new. I just can't see them being a problem.
I'll put the bike back together and give it another try but so far I haven't found any fault and lost a retaining bolt.
Sod's Law.
Stay between the hedges!

Offline knapdog

• CBF Master
Reply #15 on: 28 July, 2021, 03:10:08 PM
^^^ Eventually found a similar bolt for housing, above.   :152:
Stay between the hedges!

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
Reply #16 on: 28 July, 2021, 06:36:44 PM
There's a pattern building up here.

That lost bolt can't have gone far and you should really make the effort to find it.

Clearly with the fan coming on whenever you stop for around 20 or 30 seconds there is a fault. The engine is overheating and that is not going to fix itself, if ignored at best it will lead to premature engine wear, at worse a seized engine. If you took it into a workshop the things I mention above are the very things they would work through to identify the fault regardless of age, history or mileage. Why should that diagnostic process be any different for the home mechanic?

Offline knapdog

• CBF Master
Reply #17 on: 28 July, 2021, 06:53:56 PM
*Originally Posted by Art [+]
There's a pattern building up here.

That lost bolt can't have gone far and you should really make the effort to find it.

Clearly with the fan coming on whenever you stop for around 20 or 30 seconds there is a fault. The engine is overheating and that is not going to fix itself, if ignored at best it will lead to premature engine wear, at worse a seized engine. If you took it into a workshop the things I mention above are the very things they would work through to identify the fault regardless of age, history or mileage. Why should that diagnostic process be any different for the home mechanic?

Thanks, Art.
Regarding the bolt, I hunted it until my knuckles were raw and expecting a knock on the garage door from Mr Plod due to my choice language.  I can't do anymore so it stays there or it falls out
I shall find a way of testing the other issues though need to give the bike a test run after my "fettling" first.
No doubt, I shall report back.
Stay between the hedges!

Offline knapdog

• CBF Master
Reply #18 on: 04 August, 2021, 04:42:18 PM
Bike appears to be sorted.
All I did was test the thermostat, squeeze a few hoses then top up.
Put the bike back together and have done a bit of mileage on it. Went for a hundred mile trip around the Brecon Beacons today and the fan only kicked in once when I was waiting for over a minute at some temporary traffic lights.
Stay between the hedges!

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
Reply #19 on: 04 August, 2021, 09:30:24 PM
Happy days

diverse-leafy