Author Topic: Changing the water  (Read 1144 times)

Online Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Changing the water
Reply #10 on: 20 June, 2021, 07:00:36 PM

:232: You're leaving it to idle for far too long, the thermostat is opening and you're wondering why the filler neck is over flowing! The advice given here is to 'leave it idling for 3 minutes', the advice given on fireblader.dk is as per the Honda workshop manual which is to 'let it idle for 2-3 minutes. ' Either follow the instructions or do it your way but don't do it your way and then come on here with your self inflicted problems.

To know if the thermostat is working correctly you remove it, inspect it and test it. Its all in the Workshop Manual Section 7 Cooling System pages 8 & 9 or maybe you should stick to making apple pie as it seems as if you shouldn't be allowed spanners.

Offline Teeron

• CBF Newbie
  • Bike: Mk1
Reply #11 on: 20 June, 2021, 07:47:53 PM
My bad I did it so many times that at some point fan was kicking after 3 minutes. Yes, 3 minutes i leave it to idle ,three...
And i have found that the thermostat is stuck and not reacting to hot water .  My question no 1 was is it normal that coolant is overflowing after 20 sec, and I will never know. Thanks a lot for help :152:

Was making pie first time in my life...

Last Edit: 20 June, 2021, 08:21:17 PM by Teeron

Offline knapdog

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Barry, Vale of G
Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 07:27:39 PM
I'm a bit fed up with mine as well.
I changed the coolant last year but have never really been happy with the fact the fan comes on seemingly whenever I stop for around 20 or 30 secs with hot air wafting around me.
I was due to go to Spain in June but I don't know how I would have coped with the fan issue starting up in such a hot climate.
Took panels off this morning and coolant is full under the radiator cap and level in expansion tank never dips below max.
There could be trouble ahead. Went and had a look at the RT's in BMW Motarrad Cardiff. Have already previously owned two but swore I'd never entertain another BMW after reliability issues and cost of owning one outside warranty period. Never a good sign for what you have when you start considering what else is out there.
However, it would take a lot for me to change the biffer.
This is my second mk2 but didn't have the fan kicking in anywhere near so often on the 1st.
Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:31:36 PM by knapdog
Stay between the hedges!

Online Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #13 on: Today at 12:27:58 AM
There's more to the correct operation of the cooling system than topping it up with the correct amount of fluid. Have you checked the coolant specific gravity, thermostat operation, ECT sensor resistance, Radiator/System blockages and last but not least the water pump and impeller? All the specifications are in the Workshop Manual, if you haven't already you can download the Honda Workshop and Owners Manuals here.