Author Topic: What happen if the battery was pluged reverse way ?  (Read 410 times)

Offline MotoGP

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: zx-10r 2004
  • City / Town: Québec
Well it's not me who do that, but a buddy plugged the battery reverse way, c-a-d positive in place of the negative and negative in place of positive. Now and for sure the bike never want to start when the battery are correctly plugged. It's on a cbf 1000 2008.

So the fuse are O.K but did it exist a main fuse or something hidden somewhere ? Or did the CPU could be fried or the switch be smashed or something else. Lots of search for electrical problems there...

Any advice or similar experience ?

Thanks.

Online Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: What happen if the battery was pluged reverse way ?
Reply #1 on: 11 May, 2021, 04:28:02 PM
 :405:

Some folk shouldn't be allowed spanners.

Check the battery using a multimeter. Select the 20 vDC range and connect the black probe to the negative terminal and the red probe to positive terminal. Does the reading show +12.4v or more?? When checking the fuses did you check them with the continuity function on a multimeter?? The main 30A fuse is hidden in plain view on the starter solenoid behind the battery, test it using the multimeter continuity function.
Last Edit: 11 May, 2021, 04:29:42 PM by Art

Offline MotoGP

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: zx-10r 2004
  • City / Town: Québec
Reply #2 on: 11 May, 2021, 04:35:28 PM
Thanks on forums, but don't know I will do a search).

Should be this fuse. The one hidden on the battery rack. Did the service manual are somewhere on the site (usually its's free but I will do a search on the site and see) need to have the pics of the thing and the electric plan.

Online Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #3 on: 11 May, 2021, 04:57:12 PM
If you're allowed spanners and you haven't already you can download the Honda Workshop and Owners Manuals here.

I uploaded some colour wiring diagrams here if that helps

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Reply #4 on: 11 May, 2021, 11:37:49 PM
I'm unsure what this means
c-a-d positive in place of the negative

And as for fuses, well which ones do you know about and have checked (with a meter) ? 
List them, and someone will says if that's all.
The main fuse is in the starter solenoid - that's a good place to start.

Fried/damaged ECU - possible,  but you'll not know until the power has been checked.
Other people (other bikes maybe) have claimed when all fuses corrected everything survives (but I'd expect protection diode damage).

Anything with a bulb circuit (filament) is unlikely to have popped.  Do the postion lamps come on with the ignition ?
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.