Author Topic: How to get water out of the fuel tank  (Read 465 times)

Offline MohKraats

• CBF Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000F
  • City / Town: Almere
How to get water out of the fuel tank
on: 10 May, 2021, 08:42:14 AM
Hello dear Biffers,

Is there anybody who knows a convenient way to get water out of the fuel tank ??
Especially when only small quantities of water.

Any water in the tank usually collects at the lowest point in the tank.
Back when there were the tank used to have a tap, that tap would be at the lowest point.
Carburetors would have a screw at the bottom of the fuel reservoir to let out any water that might collect there.

However, now with a modern tank, even when using the pump, you won't get the last drop out of there.
Let alone that in such case, one would have to empty out all the fuel first.
I tried putting a hose down in there, but that is not so easy due to all the obstructions in the tank entrance.

If any ideas, tips or experience, please ........

Greez,
Moh
Last Edit: 10 May, 2021, 08:43:16 AM by MohKraats

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: How to get water out of the fuel tank
Reply #1 on: 10 May, 2021, 12:47:32 PM
Wynn's Dry Fuel

I've never used this product myself, just been aware of it. Thoughts on how to use, the instructions state 'One bottle treats up to 60 liters' and to 'Add entire contents of one bottle of 325 ml to the fuel tank' . However since the CBF1000 fuel tank capacity is only 19L why wouldn't you only use 100 ml?

If I was using it I'd add 100 ml next time I filled the fuel tank and maybe repeat that dose twice more at some point in the future but not at successive fill ups.

Wynn's Dry Fuel available at you're local Euro Car Parts for 8.39. Order it online, click and collect in a store near you. Don't forget to apply the spring sale code SPRING60 at checkout and you may get a discount on that, in store over the counter prices are more expensive.

Offline MohKraats

• CBF Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: 10 May, 2021, 01:30:32 PM
Hello Art,

Thanks for the tip.
That's an interesting idea for the long run.
Such additive might not work instantly, and I expect it to absorb only little quantities of water.
But good for maintenance, and to use on E10 vehicles.

As first aid solution, I will have a go again with a small hand pump like this:
https://www.hbm-machines.com/producten/hbm-professionele-hevelpomp

When pumping out from the bottom of the tank, pump into a big glass (like my wives vase (only when she ain't at home :114:))
The it will quickly be visible at the bottom of the glass if there is any water in the fuel.

Greez,
Moh

Offline MohKraats

• CBF Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: 10 May, 2021, 01:31:15 PM
*Originally Posted by MohKraats [+]
Hello Art,

Thanks for the tip.
That's an interesting idea for the long run.
Such additive might not work instantly, and I expect it to absorb only little quantities of water.
But good for maintenance, and to use on E10 vehicles.

As first aid solution, I will have a go again with a small hand pump like this (as suggested by some colleagues):
https://www.hbm-machines.com/producten/hbm-professionele-hevelpomp

When pumping out from the bottom of the tank, pump into a big glass (like my wives vase (only when she ain't at home :114:))
The it will quickly be visible at the bottom of the glass if there is any water in the fuel.

Greez,
Moh

Offline MohKraats

• CBF Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: 10 May, 2021, 08:04:08 PM
I got myself such a hand pump.
Such pump is intended to pump fuel for such small portable heaters, like the ones from sibro kamin.
This is the one I got:
https://www.praxis.nl/badkamer-keuken-wonen/verwarming/verwarmingaccessoires/qlima-manuele-hevelpomp/1907825

With some force, I could get the pump tube in the tank, and it was just about long enough to reach the bottom.
And, well, pumping went great.
No problemat all.
Last Edit: 10 May, 2021, 08:05:33 PM by MohKraats

Offline Steve_h

• CBF Newbie
  • Bike: CBF100 mk 2
  • City / Town: Teesdale
Reply #5 on: 14 May, 2021, 11:19:04 AM
The old trick was to put some methylated spirit in the tank (not a lot, perhaps 1:50 ratio). Meths is miscible with both water and petrol so it 'soaks up' the water which then get burned off with the fuel.

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Reply #6 on: 15 May, 2021, 03:37:58 PM
Wow, that sounds all very chemical alchemist.
Interesting, more so if it is a practical solution (sorry) to excess water (with E10 coming up etc.).

Now you've got me wondering - do I have any/some/much water sitting in my tank.
And how will by biffer run on meths (because, I do have a lot of meths in the garage - some has even cleared!).
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.