Author Topic: Top box mounting plate  (Read 267 times)

Johndc and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Davy

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000 A6
Top box mounting plate
on: 03 May, 2021, 07:09:42 PM
Hi, I have a CBF1000A6 (2006). It has a Honda top box rack, but no mounting plate.
Does anyone known what Givi momokey base plate will fit a standard Honda top box rack?
Thanks

Offline Scootyman

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
  • City / Town: Dunfermline
Re: Top box mounting plate
Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 12:06:34 PM
I used a Givi E251 universal mono key plate when I fitted a Givi Trekker 52 to my 2006 CBF. It bolted straight onto the Honda top box rack without issue.
Hope that helps.

Offline Scootyman

• CBF Member
Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 12:10:49 PM
By the way..... I took the Givi Trekker box off after a while as I felt it changed the handling of the bike. The front end went very light when loaded and the handlebars oscillated left and right when you let go of the bars. That box was too big and heavy for a Biffer in my opinion.

Offline Davy

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000 A6
Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 05:00:41 PM
Thanks for your reply. That's all great, good to know info.  :046:

Offline Philby21

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000-8
  • City / Town: Flint
Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 08:35:49 PM
The genuine Honda mounting plate is a "floating" type, it moves slightly side to side, this eliminates the issues Scootyman refers to.  A friend with a CBF had exactly that issue, picked up a second hand Honda plate and box, issue never occurred again.

That was with a more streamlined top box than the Trekker too but still one of the larger (52l?) ones - something smaller and more rounded might be less of an issue.

Offline Scootyman

• CBF Member
Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 09:39:04 PM
That is really good information to know, thank you for sharing that. I hadnít realised there was such a thing as a floating top box plate but it answers many questions Iíve had about fitting top boxes to both scooters and bikes. I had the very same issue with a Honda FES125 S-Wing. The front end seemed to go light and the handlebars definitely oscillated much worse than the CBF with a big box.
If I tour again this year, Iím going to scrap the top box and make up a bigger plywood rack to fit on top of the original Honda rack. I can strap bedding etc to that which is so much more practical than a box. That way I can keep the weight down too.
Great info, thanks again