Author Topic: Switched feed for relay?  (Read 766 times)

Offline Marcswales

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000A-7
  • City / Town: Bridgend
Switched feed for relay?
on: 01 May, 2021, 07:08:15 PM
Afternoon peeps!

I want to wire up the sat nav, voltmeter and possibly re connect the Oxford grips which are currently ( did you spot what I did there?)  disconnected.
I've connected a fuse box to run everything from, situated under the pillion seat with a 5 tab 30A relay, with the supply and earth directly to the battery ( Via a fuse) but I'm now wondering where to take the relay switching feed from?

I see on the wiring diagram there is this, which would seem to be ideal, where would I find it, or is there a better choice ?

Thanks for the help.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Switched feed for relay?
Reply #1 on: 02 May, 2021, 02:32:00 AM
The options connector is a 6 pin yellow connector with a yellow blanking plate taped up and buried behind the main relay block/wiring loom which is found behind the rear right cowl. Most take a switched live feed for a relay off the side lights black/brown cable of the starter circuit which is easiest accessed behind the rear right cowl or from any of the lamp holders.

You may find the colour wiring diagrams I posted useful. The options connector wiring is shown in the 3rd diagram of the indicator, hazard, turn stop circuit and the side light wiring in the 4th diagram of the Starter circuit.

Offline Marcswales

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: 02 May, 2021, 09:50:42 AM
Thanks for that, I'll have a look today.

Online jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Reply #3 on: 02 May, 2021, 12:40:56 PM
White/Black if you want to use that option plug - neater, but indeed not as easy access.
You'll need the correct Sumitomo connector (6-position, male as in pins not sockets) and seals (I used yellow, 0.75 - 1.25mm˛ cable,  mine is mainly only used for phone charging etc.).
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Marcswales

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: 02 May, 2021, 03:41:02 PM
I tapped into the number plate light circuit.

Thanks for the help. Now the voltmeter is installed it's showing 13.6 V at tickover and I have a suspicion that my multimeter is not reading correctly.

Online jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Reply #5 on: 02 May, 2021, 04:26:38 PM
*Originally Posted by Marcswales [+]
I tapped into the number plate light circuit.
Heathern !

Thanks for the help. Now the voltmeter is installed it's showing 13.6 V at tickover and I have a suspicion that my multimeter is not reading correctly.
Not necessarily; on a run (just stopped) I once measured mine at 13.8v idling (known good meter).
You might just have an A1 battery that is fully charged.
Recheck it (the meter) after the battery has had a good rest (overnight +) and see if 12.5-12.8v (ign off).
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Marcswales

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: 02 May, 2021, 04:57:01 PM
I've had a number of spurious readings from it recently, showing resistance where I know it's an open circuit for instance or 11.8  on a known, good charged battery, when the new voltmeter was showing 13.6 the multimeter was only showing 12.3... I think it's borked...  ok for testing power on  or open circuit, but not a lot else.

diverse-leafy