Author Topic: Missing, surging.  (Read 714 times)

Offline Raphe

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Cbf1000
  • City / Town: Scottish Borders
Missing, surging.
on: 24 April, 2021, 09:39:02 PM
Help!
 Got my buffer booked in for next Friday at my local garage. Symptoms are, surging and dropping in power. Most noticeable when I hold a steady speed, for example a 30 mph. I feel like a nodding dog itís that bad. There is also a delay or lag when accelerating. I had the plugs changed 3 years ago to NGK iridiums.  The stator, reg/rec was replaced 2 years ago and is charging at 14.odd at 2000 rpm. Battery is holding fine also.
  Are there any known problems with fuel or electric issues I may have overlooked?
 Any advice appreciated. I just know the first thing the garage will do is replace the plugs. Maybe there might be a failed plug. Is that common with ngk iridiums?

Cheers in advance guys

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Missing, surging.
Reply #1 on: 25 April, 2021, 09:22:23 AM
I'm assuming here you have a SC58?

A failed or failing spark plug is unlikely to cause surging, besides NGK give a service life of 50,000 miles (80,000 Km) for their CR8EHIX-9 (iridium centre electrode, nickel ground electrode) spark plugs. Assuming you have genuine NGK plugs, there have been reports of fake NGK's being sold in market places such as fleabay. Surging faults have nothing to do with the Charging System (stator, regulator/rectifier, battery) either.

Surging is most likely to be an intermittent failure of the Programmable Fuel Injection System which means you may not get an indication from the PGM FI Malfunction Indicator Lamp but there should be a stored Diagnostic Trouble Code to point you in the right direction, have you checked for any stored DTCs?

You don't need any special workshop tools or diagnostic equipment either I wrote an artical on how to read DTC's here

The problem could be a simple vacuum leak, sensor (MAP, TP, IAT, ECT), solenoid valve (IAC, IDC) or fuel pump.

Recommended reading Section 6 FUEL SYSTEM (PGM FI) of the Honda Workshop Manual
Last Edit: 25 April, 2021, 09:45:08 AM by Art

Offline Raphe

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: Scottish Borders
Reply #2 on: 06 May, 2021, 06:46:18 PM
Hi Art,
  Biffed fixed. 4 OE NGK plugs fitted. Binned the iridiums. Gutted in a way, i should have put my old plugs back in and tested it that way. Would have saved myself £130.

Offline Rick

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000gt
  • City / Town: Matlock
Reply #3 on: 06 May, 2021, 08:48:47 PM
Were the iridium plugs fakes ? Plenty on the forum have reported using them without problems. Some years ago I used NGK iridium plugs as an upgrade in a car engine ( buying from a reputable supplier), but it failed to run smoothly and I had to go back to the original plugs when it ran perfectly again.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
Reply #4 on: 07 May, 2021, 03:47:27 AM
£130 for 4 off NGK CR8EH-9  :087:

If the NGK iridium plugs failed 3 years after fitting, assuming the mileage was less than the NGK stated service life of 50,000 miles, I'd be asking questions to NGK customer services. According to NGK their CR8EHIX-9's are a compatible alternative to the factory fitted CR8EH-9's offering an extended service life of 50,000 miles vs 30,000 miles. Then again, NGK will most probably refer you to Honda's recommended service schedule for the SC57E engine which as we know is to inspect the spark plugs at 8,000 miles or 12 months and to replace them at 16,000 miles or 24 months whichever comes first. After 3 years...

Offline Rick

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000gt
  • City / Town: Matlock
Reply #5 on: 07 May, 2021, 08:17:33 AM
In view of Raphe's experience I will stick to the original fitment plugs, CR8EH-9's in my SC58, my bike is now nearing 21k miles and I have not touched the factory fitted originals. It runs and starts well but I suppose I should at least pull one out and have a look at the condition and gap setting. Like Art states, the plugs should be good for 30k miles. Too much of chucking away good parts sometimes, often just an excuse to charge more sooner!

Offline Seagull

• CBF Newbie
Reply #6 on: 13 May, 2021, 10:12:28 PM
Hi all,

Iím a newbie to this site. My Ď57 plate CBF starts fine and runs fine for about 30-45 mins, then starts to jerk on acceleration and is reluctant to start after this. Would really appreciate any thoughts on what this might be?

Thank you in advance.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
Reply #7 on: 14 May, 2021, 12:32:08 AM
 :405:

You really should have started your own thread Seagull. Intermittent running and difficulty to restart the engine once it has warmed up and reached a normal operating temperature may be an ignition system fault. My initial prime suspects would be: ignition coils, ignition coil wiring & connections; HT leads and caps; spark plugs. Further testing is required to prove any fault since the fault could also be due to many other things.

How long has this fault been present?
Any work done immediately prior to the fault developing?
Is there any known itemised service history with this motorcycle?

diverse-leafy