Author Topic: Goodbye to Biffer  (Read 751 times)

Offline davidjg

• CBF Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-C GT
  • City / Town: London
Goodbye to Biffer
on: 15 April, 2021, 03:13:48 PM
Have just sold my MK2. Went out on it on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday to catch up on lack of riding due to covid and for some reason just did not enjoy myself as much as I used to. This is by far the longest I have had any bike (6 years), and I realised I just needed a change. Told a friend last night that I would be selling it, he telephoned his nephew straight away, and this morning the nephew came around  and bought it.
Now no bike and a ferry booked to Spain in June, so will have to really seriously look around for something else - probably a 2nd hand BMW F800 GT (had the previous model F800ST and really enjoyed it - more so than the Biffer + no chain).  It is a pity that the era of the real life all around sports tourers (like the Biffer) for shorter legged riders has finished, or so it seems to me.

Offline Philby21

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000-8
  • City / Town: Flint
Re: Goodbye to Biffer
Reply #1 on: 15 April, 2021, 08:52:17 PM
They really don't think about those of us with shorter legs when designing some of these machines.  I love the Africa Twin but not sure I could live with it even though they do a lower seat conversion.

As for touring, personally I think it's possible to tour on anything.  I've done multiple tours on a CBR600 and Fireblade, usually two up, even did the RBLR1000 on the 'blade.  That said, it was a few years ago and I'm not 100% sure I could do it now - which is why I bought a Biffer!  :001:

Phil

Offline knapdog

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Barry, Vale of G
Reply #2 on: 16 April, 2021, 08:29:25 PM
*Originally Posted by davidjg [+]
Have just sold my MK2. Went out on it on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday to catch up on lack of riding due to covid and for some reason just did not enjoy myself as much as I used to. This is by far the longest I have had any bike (6 years), and I realised I just needed a change. Told a friend last night that I would be selling it, he telephoned his nephew straight away, and this morning the nephew came around  and bought it.
Now no bike and a ferry booked to Spain in June, so will have to really seriously look around for something else - probably a 2nd hand BMW F800 GT (had the previous model F800ST and really enjoyed it - more so than the Biffer + no chain).  It is a pity that the era of the real life all around sports tourers (like the Biffer) for shorter legged riders has finished, or so it seems to me.

Very sorry to hear you've sold the biffer.
The biffer is superior to all the big bikes I've had though the cb1300 comes a close second.
I would never buy another BMW having been totally put off by my experiences with the two RT's. Never again.
I've test ridden the F800GT and knew within 400 yards that it was a disappointment. It felt cheap, not well put together, rattly, flimsy switchgear and nowhere near the quality, comfort and performance of the biffer, but that's me and wouldn't argue if others feel differently.
Good luck with whatever you eventually choose.
I hope you have good luck regarding the Spain trip. My fingers are crossed as well.
Stay between the hedges!

Offline MohKraats

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000F
  • City / Town: Almere
Reply #3 on: 19 April, 2021, 01:16:03 PM
Out of experience: Just keep far away from BMW.

But anyway,
Good advice: rent a bike !!!
Good way to get e feel for a bike, and you can take it out for a whole day.
Just a spin around the block, usually doesn't really give a good impression about a bike.

Ah, and regarding short legged people, ever though about a tourer ?
Like the Gold Wing, or the naked version of such ?
Or even the CTX1300 .....

I have been driving an old GL1100 for a couple of months,
and I must say: it is much more a driving experience then a CBF.
It is that most of those have such a load of gimmicks build on, its more a rolling living room then a bike,
however, the way that rolls into a corner, is just a treat.
If I can sell my CBF for nice money, its gone....
And I will be out for a more naked GL (Falkeyre ??)

Offline knapdog

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Barry, Vale of G
Reply #4 on: 19 April, 2021, 02:12:11 PM
*Originally Posted by MohKraats [+]
Out of experience: Just keep far away from BMW.

But anyway,
Good advice: rent a bike !!!
Good way to get e feel for a bike, and you can take it out for a whole day.
Just a spin around the block, usually doesn't really give a good impression about a bike.

Ah, and regarding short legged people, ever though about a tourer ?
Like the Gold Wing, or the naked version of such ?
Or even the CTX1300 .....

I have been driving an old GL1100 for a couple of months,
and I must say: it is much more a driving experience then a CBF.
It is that most of those have such a load of gimmicks build on, its more a rolling living room then a bike,
however, the way that rolls into a corner, is just a treat.
If I can sell my CBF for nice money, its gone....
And I will be out for a more naked GL (Falkeyre ??)

All good advice but I've always found that Goldwing seats are too wide for me meaning that my legs are uncomfortably splayed out.
I also found the same with the 700 Deauville although the footpegs were in the way as well. (Awful bike).
Stay between the hedges!

Offline MohKraats

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000F
  • City / Town: Almere
Reply #5 on: 19 April, 2021, 03:36:10 PM
Did you ever try a NM4 ??
Talking about low saddle.

Looks totally weird, but you have to have tried it.
Its a completely different world again.

diverse-leafy