Author Topic: Starter switch failure results in no head lights!  (Read 260 times)

Offline dnax

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: London
Starter switch failure results in no head lights!
on: 12 April, 2021, 06:39:27 PM
Just thought I would share this for those not in a position to change the switch.

I had the situation where the starter switch fails so that the headlight circuit will not re-connect after the bike is started resulting in no dipped beam.  Initially a light flick of the starter switch would re-engage the headlight but as a fix, this didn't last long and eventually no amount of flicking helped and spraying with cleaner didn't work either.  The issue was covered extensively by Fireblader DK who provided an excellent guide to replacing the right handle bar switch.

I have just had my fork seals replaced by the excellent Raceways in Surrey Quays, London and the owner was kind enough to show me a reliable and straightforward temporary fix that doesn't require removing the switch.

Separate the two switch halves enough to force a ball of Blu Tack, plasticine or something similar behind the sealed contact unit.  The idea is to put forward pressure on the rear of the sealed unit toward the starter button.  The pics I'm including show a wadded up piece of paper being used but Blu Tack better apparently.

This worked perfectly to cure the problem.  I have now had a new switch unit fitted but this was a very good temporary fix that I suspect would have continued to work for some time.

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Re: Starter switch failure results in no head lights!
Reply #1 on: 12 April, 2021, 10:40:01 PM
If the contact pressure has gone, for any reason, the switch warants replacement.
You don't want your headlight to be 'missing' when you can't see it.
Switches can be fickle things, once off-colour they rarely come right for too long.

*excepting perhaps a spring that you've replaced/reseated.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.