Author Topic: New member suffolk  (Read 452 times)

Offline Toureymikeybikey

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Cbf1000 2013
  • City / Town: Suffolk
New member suffolk
on: 03 April, 2021, 03:53:16 PM
Hi all been floating around here for a while getting loads of info thanks,i bought a 2013 mk2 in October but havent had many opportunities to use so far. Bike has done 14000 miles and i have put givi luggage on as wife and i tour quite a lot - eldest son lives in Barcelona so hope to get there on the bike when allowed. Ive noticed that the front end seems to counter steer away from me in corners, the tyres seem ok so going to change the fork oil and check the springs on Monday.Did ask the local dealer to check the frame etc and they said it was ok. I had a ktm1290 before this and it was all automatic so this is interesting! Enjoying the bike so far - looking forward to summer.

Online Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: New member suffolk
Reply #1 on: 03 April, 2021, 06:08:19 PM
 :405:

An excellent choice for a Sports Tourer that ticks many boxes in its class. A big plus for me is the ease in which it can be serviced and maintained at home, by the home mechanic without the need of any special tools or diagnostic equipment. If you haven't already you can download the Honda Workshop and Owners Manuals here.

Changing the fork oil is a breeze, I put 15W Valvoline Synpower fork oil in mine. A 1 litre container straight off the shelf in Halfrauds is more than enough, I poured the left overs into my squirty oil can and use it to lubricate the drive chain, waste not, want not. Make sure the fork legs are both flush with the top yolk before clamping and give the front wheel a good bounce to set the axle before torquing the left axle bolt.

I've been known to dip in and out of Suffolk on my way to and from Walkers, Fishers of Hunstanton, Brancaster Crab Hut and for me, Ness Point Lowestoft is the start of an IBA 4 corners ;-)

Offline Toureymikeybikey

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: 03 April, 2021, 06:53:12 PM
Thanks very much for the info Art, i noted a previous post of yours on the fork oil and got some today(its reduced to £6 from £10 atm!) thanks for the tip with the forks and the honda manual .
I had a gsx 1100 back in the day and it did everything really well, stay in top between 30 and 110, this reminds me of that so well pleased. The ktm was just too tall for me 2 up with luggage, every traffic light was a trauma thinking if there is a pot hole i will be leant over 10 degrees and drop her. The low seat made my mind up.
Cromer, norwich, felixstowe, thetford kings lynn is a good circle from any start point. Mix of all roads and a decent run.

Offline Toureymikeybikey

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: 06 April, 2021, 06:52:05 PM
As an update i changed the fork oil yesterday and had 310 in one fork and 330 in the other one.i believe it should be 417... Also no sign of the  ´spring seat’ on either side - which the manual indicates sits between the fork cap and spring collar?i take it this part is not optional. If its that far out i will have to see if there is a leak or does the missing part show human error? Hoping the handling is more motorbike and less shopping trolley now. Though as usual im doubting myself and wondering if it really is 417!

Online Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #4 on: 07 April, 2021, 06:01:11 AM
The SC64 manual is very clear, loads of colour photos too.

Offline Yozzer

• CBF Newbie
  • Bike: CBF1000 ABS 2006
  • City / Town: York
Reply #5 on: 08 April, 2021, 12:19:20 PM
Whaaaaa   shopping trolley?    supposed to be very good handling. Not picking mine up until Sat and youve got me worried now.
Maybe your tyres have decent tread but are old or squared off as in previous owner never leaning it over far.( I had that exact problem with a Versys 650 ,really good tread but old and square. I fitted new tyres and it was like a different bike- excellent
Please let me know if you get to the bottom of your handling issue and if so how it handles now
Regards

Offline Toureymikeybikey

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: 08 April, 2021, 01:46:42 PM
Sorry to worry you yozzer- im sure its fine all ive read about them indicates a fine bike - mine had super soft suspension when i got it and the lack of oil and the missing parts seem to indicate that could be a major factor in the handling issues. Thought i would start with the forks as i didnt want to ´fork’ out for tyres and find its the fork oil. But if its still a bit wobbly then i will go down that route. Parts arriving tomorrow so will tackle at the weekend and let you know. Its a honda theyve sold loads so im not concerned long term, and the shop said the frame etc is all ok.

diverse-leafy