Author Stator failed  (Read 37382 times)

• Offline Art   england

• CBF Legend  ‐    2242

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
    • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
    • City / Town: Shoreditch
    Re: Stator failed
    Reply #80 on: 03 August, 2023, 10:19:39 am
    03 August, 2023, 10:19:39 am
    Don't give up the day job  :016:

The current flowing through the stator produces the heat, it is this heat that overtime causes the insulation on the copper windings to break down and fail which results in a failed stator. Adding a breather to the stator casing will have no real effect on the heat produced within the copper windings. It is what it is, and what it is is a bad design brought about by the necessity for a compact, lightweight motorcycle charging system. By way of example compare a motorcycle stator to the larger and far heavier designs of a car alternator where the alternator's stator is typically mounted in an open air stream to keep the copper windings cooler.

• Offline Buggzy   au

• CBF Member  ‐    40

Offline Buggzy

• CBF Member
    • Bike: Honda CBF 1000
    • City / Town: Mandurah
    Reply #81 on: 04 August, 2023, 12:50:39 am
    04 August, 2023, 12:50:39 am
    *Originally Posted by Art [+]
    Don't give up the day job  :016:

The current flowing through the stator produces the heat, it is this heat that overtime causes the insulation on the copper windings to break down and fail which results in a failed stator. Adding a breather to the stator casing will have no real effect on the heat produced within the copper windings. It is what it is, and what it is is a bad design brought about by the necessity for a compact, lightweight motorcycle charging system. By way of example compare a motorcycle stator to the larger and far heavier designs of a car alternator where the alternator's stator is typically mounted in an open air stream to keep the copper windings cooler.

Thanks Art.
    I agree, was just a thought lol.
    I did my apprenticeship at Perth Rewind so know all about windings.I was more thinking of a way of releasing heat but anyway, happy to continue riding and changing the stator at some stage  :031:

• Offline jm2   england

• CBF Master  ‐    871

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
    • Eurofree zone
    • Bike: SC84
    • City / Town: Newark on Trent
    Reply #82 on: 06 August, 2023, 06:16:09 pm
    06 August, 2023, 06:16:09 pm
    Just catching up.  Thank you I needed a good laugh !

Breather holes aside, the issue (with the heat) is that the system is a total loss type.  It can generate more by way of voltage than is required and the excess has to go somewhere.  The R/R shorts out what is not needed so the coils run even hotter.
    Other bikes fry their connectors, or R/Rs.

(Car) alternators are quite different and partially shut the system back.  Shorting out 65/85A would create far too much heat even in open air.

• Offline Buggzy   au

• CBF Member  ‐    40

Offline Buggzy

• CBF Member
    • Bike: Honda CBF 1000
    • City / Town: Mandurah
    Reply #83 on: 07 August, 2023, 01:22:15 am
    07 August, 2023, 01:22:15 am
    Haha we all need a laugh often.
    Ok I wasn't sure but thanks for the info. jm2. Makes sense now  :028: