Author Topic: Stator failed  (Read 7875 times)

Offline bobilovsky123

• CBF Pro
Re: Stator failed
Reply #60 on: 21 August, 2021, 04:25:53 PM
Yes the one i fitted in May...!!!!

Online jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Reply #61 on: 21 August, 2021, 04:32:25 PM
Do let us know what you find on this please and how you find any warranty.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline bobilovsky123

• CBF Pro
Reply #62 on: 21 August, 2021, 04:36:17 PM
I reported to the RAC that I had broken down at 1pm on Wednesday, I walked into my house at 5.20 am thursday morning. I was only 100 miles away from home.  The RAC are crap. :005:

Offline bobilovsky123

• CBF Pro
Reply #63 on: 21 August, 2021, 04:37:44 PM
I will kep you informed pal.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #64 on: 22 August, 2021, 09:01:29 AM
That has to be faulty materials, get on to the supplier.

For the future and others reading this, the most common failed stator symptom is a flat battery and a flat battery caused by a failed stator should not leave you stranded. Three examples...

When my stator failed in June 2017 and the battery didn't have sufficient level of charge for the starter motor to crank the engine. I switched off the headlamp, glad that I had fitted an on/off switch when I converted the dip beam to HID. Pushed the motorcycle down the road and managed to bump started it at the first attempt, it probably helped being on an incline at the time. Without the headlamp drawing whatever power it does that gave me sufficient battery to get me the 72 miles home.

Stators are not an exclusive CBF1000 thing either. When a riding buddies Triumph Daytona stator failed we managed to get it home by swapping batteries. The Daytona discharged them and my Bonneville charged them. Another riding buddy had a stator fail on his Suzuki Bandit, we got that battery boost charged at a tyre workshop to get home.

Sometimes you just need to think outside the box. Improvise, adapt and overcome!

Offline bobilovsky123

• CBF Pro
Reply #65 on: 26 August, 2021, 01:17:59 PM
Thanks for all your inputs. I have a belly pan on this bike ....could this be a cause of the problem , by not letting enough air getting in to dissipate the heat :157:

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
Reply #66 on: 26 August, 2021, 02:38:28 PM
*Originally Posted by bobilovsky123 [+]
I have a belly pan on this bike ....could this be a cause of the problem , by not letting enough air getting in to dissipate the heat :157:

No, the engine is not air cooled. Its cooled by coolant and oil with heat escaping through the radiator and oil cooler. If the engine is overheating the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor should set off a red dashboard warning light via the Engine Control Unit (ECU).
Last Edit: 26 August, 2021, 02:51:57 PM by Art

Offline Rick

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000gt
  • City / Town: Matlock
Reply #67 on: 26 August, 2021, 05:32:31 PM
Great advice Art to get a bike with a failing stator home. I suppose instead of having a switch you could just disconnect dip beam bulb and use hand signals instead of indicators. They could have done with your help bringing Apollo 13 back !

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
Reply #68 on: 26 August, 2021, 05:43:10 PM
LOL

Yes, disconnecting the dip beam bulb if you don't have a switch will help and hand signals over indicators too. For those that didn't have to demonstrate such skills during their Category A Test you can download a how to hand signal pdf here
Last Edit: 26 August, 2021, 06:30:30 PM by Art

Offline Rick

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000gt
  • City / Town: Matlock
Reply #69 on: 29 August, 2021, 03:56:23 PM
Maybe the forum should have a 'Breakdown - get you home tips' section, with idea's such as above and suggestions as to any small bits of emergency kit to carry etc. Its not a good experience having to wait hours for a recovery truck, when with ideas such as Art suggests you could have made it home on your own in a fraction of the time.
Incidently when a stator fails does it generally fail completely i.e no current produced at all or does only one of the sections fail allowing remaining sections to still generate a reduced current ?