Author Topic: Stator failed  (Read 7441 times)

Online Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Stator failed
Reply #20 on: 21 April, 2021, 07:35:15 AM
@scootyman Looking forward to your comparison of the flywheels. Could you measure them internally and externally, don't forget to measure the stator too and compare the windings.

@high-side Unclear what you just said, did you measure the AC output voltage and did you note the numbers? The ElectroSport stator in mine outputs 40vAC at 5,000 RPM. Honda don't specify that output measurement but other material I've read suggests it should be higher.
Last Edit: 21 April, 2021, 07:35:58 AM by Art

Offline Scootyman

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
  • City / Town: Dunfermline
Reply #21 on: 21 April, 2021, 08:55:27 AM
*Originally Posted by Art [+]
@scootyman Looking forward to your comparison of the flywheels. Could you measure them internally and externally, don't forget to measure the stator too and compare the windings.

Yep, will do. Iím back to work next week so Iíll get settled and then have a go. Might even be able to muster up some pictures if there are any differences which can be seen.

Offline vinciebhoy

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A-8
  • City / Town: Paisley
Reply #22 on: 21 April, 2021, 01:17:26 PM
I agree with Art on this, I remember reading on here many moons ago (I think it was a post by Bifferman) that there was no change in the Flywheel and that it was the stator that Honda modified. That is why I only changed the Stator which I got from ElectroSport.
On my previous bikes through the years when removing the stator cover there was always more oil loss than when I replaced my stator on the cbf1000, so maybe there's not enough oil flow to cool it.  :006:

Offline high_side

• CBF Newbie
  • Bike: 2009 CBF 1000
Reply #23 on: 21 April, 2021, 03:15:56 PM
@ Art: I measured the voltage with just the bike running, then with heated grips on, and then added the heated jacket.  The Honda upgraded stator could carry all of this handily, keeping above 13.6 volts.  The RK Stator fell below 12 volts when we added both the grips and jacket.  It might not be the most scientific method, but it seemed pretty obvious the Honda stator put out more.

Offline high_side

• CBF Newbie
Reply #24 on: 21 April, 2021, 03:21:53 PM
*Originally Posted by vinciebhoy [+]
I agree with Art on this, I remember reading on here many moons ago (I think it was a post by Bifferman) that there was no change in the Flywheel and that it was the stator that Honda modified. That is why I only changed the Stator which I got from ElectroSport.
On my previous bikes through the years when removing the stator cover there was always more oil loss than when I replaced my stator on the cbf1000, so maybe there's not enough oil flow to cool it.  :006:
  I noted this as well.  And the coils themselves look not just to be burnt, but seem to have burnt  oil all over them.  Quite difficult than my first stator failure when only 3 poles were black.  Makes me wonder if some of the oil passageways are blocked.

Online jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Reply #25 on: 21 April, 2021, 05:12:17 PM
*Originally Posted by Art [+]
I expect you to see a larger gap between the inside magnets and the stator pole faces.  May have used thinner magnets ?
This was, allegedly, to reduce the efficency (not their claim!) and hence the overall electrical load on the coils.  But, of course, a better gaps would also mean better oil flow (everywhere).

@high-side Unclear what you just said, did you measure the AC output voltage and did you note the numbers? The ElectroSport stator in mine outputs 40vAC at 5,000 RPM. Honda don't specify that output measurement but other material I've read suggests it should be higher.
I think it was Robbo - suggested 70v AC (up to).  But is this on-load (connected) or off-load (less meaningful) ??
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Online Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #26 on: 22 April, 2021, 02:52:07 AM
My 40vAC is open circuit voltage, connection to disconnected stator output connector.

Offline high_side

• CBF Newbie
Reply #27 on: 25 April, 2021, 10:18:04 PM
*Originally Posted by vinciebhoy [+]
  I noted this as well.  And the coils themselves look not just to be burnt, but seem to have burnt  oil all over them.  Quite difficult than my first stator failure when only 3 poles were black.  Makes me wonder if some of the oil passageways are blocked.

Offline high_side

• CBF Newbie
Reply #28 on: 25 April, 2021, 10:26:26 PM
  Update, despite the great feedback regarding aftermarket alternatives I sprung for the Honda stator for two reasons:
1. Piece of mind.  I've been burned by an aftermarket (RK Stator), and know the replacement Honda items that my friends have, have performed better.
2. It's come time to sell, and when I sell something it's usually in better condition than when I bought it.  I don't want anyone coming back on me for it, so they get the expensive Honda piece.

This CBF has been a great bike for my wife to tour on over the years, but it has compromised our rides one too many times.  Although I do feel we should be set for at least 40000 more km without a stator failure, the bikes getting on in age and we have a cross Canada trip planned that we do not want any problems with.  Never has there been a bike with a low seat with such great power, comfort, luggage capacity and handling for someone short of inseam.  Until now.  I hope.  We put money down on a new Triumph Tiger GT Low yesterday, which has similar power and surprisingly an even lower seat.  The reviews are great so we are optimistic that it will be awesome.

Great forum everyone.  Thank you so much for your help and guidance. 

Cheers!0

Offline paul.chucky

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000
  • City / Town: leeds
Reply #29 on: 04 May, 2021, 09:46:31 AM
Is it worth wile buying a cheap stator from ebay as a back up to carry just in case (or should just fit a decent stator ? )  as i`m hoping to go back up to scotland later in year TIA
waters wet s**t stinks

diverse-leafy