Author Topic: Stator failed  (Read 7974 times)

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Stator failed
Reply #10 on: 31 March, 2021, 12:59:21 PM
The three burnt out coils is probably the most common of all, regardless of manufacturer or model, stator failures and would suggest the stator is shorting to ground and therefore would need replacing. The 23,500 miles suggests its probably the original factory fitted unit.

When fitting the replacement stator before connecting it to the regulator/rectifier check the voltage output of the three coils, expect an equal voltage of around 40 vAC across each pairing of the three yellow stator output cables with the engine running at 5,000 RPM. Once its all back together and ready to roll check the charging system output voltage, expect 13.2 vDC across the battery terminals at 1,200 RPM and 14.2vDC at 5,000 RPM.

Offline high_side

• CBF Newbie
  • Bike: 2009 CBF 1000
Reply #11 on: 18 April, 2021, 10:56:56 AM
  My wife's 2009 just experienced its second stator failure yesterday.  The original Honda unit made it 44000km.  The RK Stator I replaced it with made all of 14000km.  Although both stators looked to be identical, the RK unit never would put out the same as the Honda unit.  As it turns out, a friend has the exact same bike with the factory replacement stator and load testing them back to back, the factory unit could carry the heated grips and jacket, where the RK stator could not.  So the RK stator has been less than impressive since the get-go.

So now my dilemma is do I shell out for the genuine Honda part or try something else???

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
Reply #12 on: 18 April, 2021, 01:19:00 PM
For my two penneth and then some I wouldn't dream of forking out the premium Honda ask for a stator simple because its been re-branded by Honda, unlike Kellogg's if it says Honda on the spare parts box its probably been out sourced from elsewhere. If your looking for a recommendation I've had no issues with ElectroSport stators.

Have you fully checked the charging system to check for other causes for a low output?

Offline high_side

• CBF Newbie
Reply #13 on: 18 April, 2021, 04:19:55 PM
  I am going to test the stator and rectifier this morning.  How many km have you managed to get out of an ElectroSport stator?

Offline high_side

• CBF Newbie
Reply #14 on: 19 April, 2021, 12:07:47 AM
  I took it out today and the stator is once again fried. Looks like I am again in the market.  Perhaps I need to carry a spare?

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
Reply #15 on: 19 April, 2021, 10:35:20 AM
My recommendation is based on ElectroSport stators fitted to a half a dozen motorcycles over the years.

My CBF factory fitted stator failed at 31,180 miles (50K Km), I replaced that with an ElectroSport stator that has now done 10,500 miles (17k Km). When replacing the stator I fully tested the charging system including the battery, wiring loom, stator and regulator/rectifier so as to have a reference point for the future. I've also tested the stator output and charging system output at the 4,000 mile interim service intervals since then and both outputs are exactly the same today as when the ElectroSport stator was fitted, 40vAC for the stator and 14.2vDC for the charging system both at 5,000 RPM.

Offline Scootyman

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
  • City / Town: Dunfermline
Reply #16 on: 20 April, 2021, 03:52:32 PM
Shouldn’t the advice for this be along the lines of Honda identified a problem and there is a fix involving a modified flywheel, which after fitting that you can choose whichever stator you like? It seems futile to me only replacing the stator and not the other part that completely remedies the problem.

Each to his own I guess but I get the feeling without replacing the flywheel, you’ll be back to a knackered stator in no time.
Last Edit: 20 April, 2021, 03:53:36 PM by Scootyman

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
Reply #17 on: 20 April, 2021, 06:23:15 PM
It is true that Honda replaced the flywheel and stator as a kit and under warranty and extended that warranty to 7 years. Any problem that Honda identified with the original factory fitted parts is a closely guarded secret and nobody as yet has been able to shed any light on any difference between the original factory fitted flywheel, the warranty replacement flywheel and/or the flywheel currently being supplied by Honda today or even confirm if in fact there is any difference. What we do know is...

The Honda parts fiche for the flywheel reads 'The spare flywheel comp. part number 31110-MFA-D01 is a genuine Honda part which means it is exactly the same as the one mounted at the factory when the vehicle was new'.

The Honda parts fiche for the stator reads 'The spare stator comp. part number 31120-MFA-D02 is a genuine Honda part which means it is exactly the same as the one mounted at the factory when the vehicle was new'. However, the Honda parts fiche also lists an earlier strike through part number of 31120-MFA-D01 for the stator. Therefore, rightly or wrongly, my conclusion is that its the stator that is different and not the flywheel and why Honda replaced the flywheel may forever remain a mystery.

For my hard earned the numbers speak for themselves £100 for an ElectroSport stator vs £1,000 for a Honda flywheel and stator, its a no brainer  :016:

Offline Scootyman

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
  • City / Town: Dunfermline
Reply #18 on: 20 April, 2021, 10:38:06 PM
Yes that is a strange one that there doesnít seem to be any difference in the flywheel within the kit thatís supposed to remedy the problem. Luckily, I didnít pay £1000+ for my complete kit that happens to still be sitting in a box in my garage waiting to be fitted. I wouldnít mind betting itíll be something to do with the magnetic field created being less on the new one, hence the reports of less voltage output on the modified part (did I read that somewhere?).
Certainly one subject on the CBF that will be discussed long into the future Iím guessing. Iíll have to have that Flywheel off soon and take a look.

Offline high_side

• CBF Newbie
Reply #19 on: 20 April, 2021, 11:00:54 PM
  I believe that I had mentioned that I load tested a friends CBF that had the replacement stator / flywheel combo from Honda, and followed that with the same load test on my then almost new RK Stator.  The Honda unit actually put out more.  Seemingly a lot more.  So the theory about it putting out less to reduce the heat doesn't seem consistent with what I observed.

diverse-leafy