Author Topic: Stator failed  (Read 4589 times)

Offline broady

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Immingham
Stator failed
on: 29 March, 2021, 04:14:35 PM
Well it had to happen the dreaded stator failed at the weekend, so my question is buy new or get rewound by Westcountry windings?

Offline Raphe

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000
  • City / Town: Scottish Borders
Re: Stator failed
Reply #1 on: 29 March, 2021, 06:18:51 PM
Hi broadly,
   After 2 failures within a year an a half I opted for an electrex stator and new reg/rec . I think it cost in the region of £300+. Never looked back.

Offline broady

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: 29 March, 2021, 06:30:53 PM
Cheers Raphe

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Barnsley
Reply #3 on: 29 March, 2021, 07:26:13 PM
*Originally Posted by Raphe [+]
Hi broadly,
   After 2 failures within a year an a half I opted for an electrex stator and new reg/rec . I think it cost in the region of £300+. Never looked back.

I did the same... my new stator was killed by the dodgy reg/rec so I bit the bullet and did stator, reg/rec and the battery in one swoop for around £300 - they all talk to each other now and I'm riding worry free again
Last Edit: 29 March, 2021, 07:26:50 PM by ivor hugh jarse
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS

Offline Scootyman

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
  • City / Town: Dunfermline
Reply #4 on: 29 March, 2021, 07:49:55 PM
I purchased the Honda upgraded stator and flywheel kit from an online retailer in Germany for around Ä450 I think it was. Maybe one day Iíll get around to fitting it. I think itís showing as over Ä1000 now but from time to time it goes on sale again.

Offline broady

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: 29 March, 2021, 09:01:36 PM
Thanks for all the replies looks like am online shopping tomorrow.

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Reply #6 on: 29 March, 2021, 11:25:11 PM
Which stator?  Makes little difference.

Folk have had subsequent failures with different ones and it all seems rather random anyway (a few, not many).  The only key thing (on a mkI) would be the modified flywheel from the Honda warranty replacements and I doubt you could even get one now (££ anyway if you're buying).  Any new/rewound/good second hand stator should fix it.

It would be interesting to see a photo of the old one when out and cleaned of oil.  Likely the tell tale signs on one or more coils.

If you feel like sharing, for the records here, could you give an idea of year of bike, mileage, if the first failure on that bike and anything you can think might be relevant to the failure (usually used for long journeys, usually leave the oil in for 8k sort of thing) and what you went for in the end (replacement wise).
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Online Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #7 on: 30 March, 2021, 10:58:28 AM
For my two penneth if its not broke don't fix it. Before throwing hard earned around willy nilly have the charging system tested by someone who knows how to test charging systems not by someone who knows how to replace parts. Assuming you, or someone with the know how, has tested the charging system I'd only replace the parts that have been proven to have failed. There are four parts to the charging system which can cause the charging system to fail and several tests for each of those parts which in order of testing are:

Battery voltages; charge; connections.
Wiring voltage drop; connections; cables; fuses and chassis ground.
Stator ground; coil resistance x3; coil output voltage x3.
Regulator/Rectifier output voltage; diode bias x6.

If the stator has been proven faulty replace the stator, if nothing else has been proven faulty replace nothing else. After replacing any parts re-test the charging system and make notes of the test results as reference point for future testing.

As above you'll find little difference between one stator and another other than the cost.

Offline Scootyman

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
  • City / Town: Dunfermline
Reply #8 on: 30 March, 2021, 03:07:52 PM
*Originally Posted by jm2 [+]
  The only key thing (on a mkI) would be the modified flywheel from the Honda warranty replacements and I doubt you could even get one now (££ anyway if you're buying).  Any new/rewound/good second hand stator should fix it.

Thatís exactly what I managed to find in Germany. It was a kit complete with Modified flywheel and new stator. I bought it because I intended on keeping the bike long term and whilst Iíve had a bit of a wobble recently with it, Iím still thinking of keeping it a while longer.

I would have to agree with Ant that if itís not broke etc, but I had intended on using the CBF mainly for touring just north of me in the Highlands. With it being remote the idea of being stranded for half a day didnít appeal so I bought the kit to try and eliminate that scenario. Mine had been changed by the previous owner as it has the tell tale signs of black sealant around the casing. I called the dealer who originally supplied the bike but they had no record of warranty work done. So I searched online and found a company called KFM Motorraeder who had the kit I mentioned earlier. I got it on offer as it sometimes returns full price. When I remove the current stator and flywheel I will have a look for any any physical difference or if the serial number is different as it should be. If it turns out that my current flywheel is an upgraded one then I will donate it to someone on here who might like it.

Offline broady

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: 30 March, 2021, 06:48:10 PM
Many thanks for all the replies and to answer a few questions, I tried to post a picture but it said it was to big but 3 of the coils have gone black.Mileage the bike has done 23500 miles and is an 07 model,regarding type of travel well I don't tour on it as I bought it just for me and the wife to go out on so really only 150 mile stints at best. I have ordered of Ebay a new stator and will check the electrics when fitted. Thanks again for the input but I won't reply to anymore messages.

diverse-leafy