Author Topic: Relaxation of MOT lighting conversions  (Read 794 times)

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
Relaxation of MOT lighting conversions
on: 20 March, 2021, 05:48:09 PM
I am not sure if this has been raised before, but DVSA has just released a special notice saying bikes fitted with LED?HID conversions from 22nd March will NOT fail the MOT IF they meet all other Lighting requirements, (such as beam pattern). :046: I must admit I didn't expect them to admit they got it wrong but am delighted they have seen 'the light' (sorry - can't help it...) and applied what most of us think is 'Commonsense! :020:
Last Edit: 20 March, 2021, 05:48:42 PM by Rev Ken
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Relaxation of MOT lighting conversions
Reply #1 on: 21 March, 2021, 06:08:01 AM
Happy Days

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Barnsley
Reply #2 on: 21 March, 2021, 09:04:57 PM
I'm just in the process of fitting a curved daylight Led light hidden from general view at the rear of my top fairing and was intending to wire it into the front brake warning light for power... if ever the main beam fails in daytime I have a secondary light from a different fuse

I was going to fit a plug or switch for this new ruling but now it seems I can skip that
Last Edit: 21 March, 2021, 09:06:14 PM by ivor hugh jarse
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS

Offline Philby21

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000-8
  • City / Town: Flint
Reply #3 on: 23 March, 2021, 07:13:20 PM
Hi Rev, do you have a link?

Just taken a look at the DVSA website and can't find anything that states this? Nor on their Farcebook page.

Section 4.1.4 of the MOT Inspection Manual: cars and passenger vehicles still states "Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp for light source and lamp not compatible."

This was last updated on the 22nd of March 2021 and does not make any exception for motorcycles.

I completely agree with everyone else on here, it doesn't make much sense, if you've fitted good quality LEDs that are giving a compliant beam pattern and are properly adjusted then I don't see what the issue is.  The fact that this also means that we can see and be seen much better should also count in their favour.  It's almost as if someone said "this is a sensible upgrade and helps make bikers safer so we'll make it illegal" - completely counterintuitive.

I'll be keeping mine in and will take a set of halogens with me next time, if my tester says anything I'll swap them out there and then (I won't comment on what I'll do when I get back home  :016:)

Cheers,

Phil

Offline Philby21

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000-8
  • City / Town: Flint
Reply #4 on: 23 March, 2021, 07:26:24 PM
Managed to dig through the history and found the notice here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/special-notice-01-21-headlamp-conversions

Relevant text for anyone interested:

"Class 1 and 2 motorcycles must not be failed for the defect ‘Light source and lamp not compatible’.

Headlamps must comply with all other requirements of the test and headlamp aim.

The motorcycle inspection manual will be updated shortly, and the ability to select the defect within the MOT testing service will be removed."

I still stand by my comments re the previous change to make them illegal, made no sense whatsoever.

Cheers,

Phil

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

diverse-leafy