Author Topic: Fuel gauge not moving  (Read 954 times)

Offline Classic

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000 AT
  • City / Town: London
Fuel gauge not moving
on: 18 March, 2021, 07:59:20 PM
Hi all, I managed to drop my 2010 Mk1 today after the stand folded on me. I know, I know. I got off lightly. Bent clutch lever, still usable and a graze on the fairing side panel. Only issue was the fuel gauge is stuck at the original level at the time it dropped. I filled up again and the level went to full, but hasn't moved since. I'm guessing the sensor in the tank has jammed? I'd appreciate any ideas of a quick fix. I know the gauge isn't totally accurate, but I've got used to it's idiosyncrasies and it's better than nothing. Getting old now and remembering what the mileage was at the last fill up is really hard  :001:

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
Re: Fuel gauge not moving
Reply #1 on: 18 March, 2021, 08:42:54 PM
Hi Classic. How far do you think you have ridden since the drop? Assuming needle does not return to zero with ignition off. :027: Ed.

Offline Classic

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: 18 March, 2021, 09:49:21 PM
Since I dropped it, around 150 miles. About 65 miles since filling up. I'm pretty sure the needle doesn't drop with the ignition off, but I'll need to check that again in the morning. Cheers  :028:
Last Edit: 18 March, 2021, 09:54:36 PM by Classic

Offline Classic

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: 19 March, 2021, 08:55:01 AM
Hi Incorrigible, checked the gauge this morning and it is on empty when switched off. I guess that was to check the needle hadn't stuck. So it looks as though the sensor is where the problem lies. Do you think I should be patient and see if it fixes itself with time?  :164:

Offline davidjg

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-C GT
Reply #4 on: 19 March, 2021, 12:25:38 PM
Hi. Don't know whether this will work, but may be a fairly cheap fix. Several years ago i had a BMW bike which developed an intermittent  hesitant/sticky fuel gauge - sometimes it would stick completely for a few days then free itself for a limited time. Took it to a BMW garage, and all they did was pour a small bottle of  petrol additive/lubricant/cleaner into the petrol tank and tell me to ride the bike for a 100 or so  miles to see whether it worked. It did and I never had the problem again on that bike. They also told me to avoid supermarket petrol except in emergencies.

Offline Classic

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: 19 March, 2021, 05:16:28 PM
Hi davidjg, thanks, that sounds like an easy one to try. I'll give it a go and see what happens. Cheers  :028:

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Master
Reply #6 on: 19 March, 2021, 06:51:13 PM
*Originally Posted by Classic [+]
Hi Incorrigible, checked the gauge this morning and it is on empty when switched off. I guess that was to check the needle hadn't stuck. So it looks as though the sensor is where the problem lies. Do you think I should be patient and see if it fixes itself with time?  :164:

Hi Classic. Sounds like the gauge end is working properly.The patience approach is sound & you can always follow up with the fuel additive plan if needed.Please let us all know of the outcome Ed. :015:

Offline Classic

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: 19 March, 2021, 06:58:25 PM
No problem. I'll update this thread once I have more to tell. Thanks  :152:

Offline Classic

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #8 on: 27 March, 2021, 12:50:30 PM
Update as promised. I've done about another 70 miles and the needle appears to be on the move again. Patience seems to have been the answer, but I bought some fuel additive as suggested and I'm sure this will help too. Thanks for the advice. Incidentally I got a replacement clutch lever off Ebay from goldfrenbrakepadsdirect (which is AW Motorcycle Parts) for 13.31 including postage. I only mention it because the quality and fit were so good and it's identical to the original.  :152:

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Master
Reply #9 on: 27 March, 2021, 06:42:48 PM
Hi Classic, Well done & good news Thanks for the update.Ed. :028:

diverse-leafy