Author Topic: Bike not starting  (Read 752 times)

Offline steviesi

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF 1000
  • City / Town: Glasgow
Bike not starting
on: 05 March, 2021, 12:23:53 PM
Hi, advice please if possible. Bike was running fine up to the new year and then parked up for 8 weeks, now it wont start. Battery has been charged up, bike turns over fine, HISS system and FI light go out as normal when the key is turned. Bike fires occasionally but doesn't start. I've changed the plugs, bike started for half a second and then cut out again. I've tried fresh fuel. Because it started and then cut out I'm thinking it might be a fuel issue? I've disconnected the banjo bolt at the bottom of the tank and tested the pump ( switched on the ignition and caught the fuel coming out). The fuel spurts out as expected for 2 seconds and then stops when the FI light goes off. Is this right or should the pump keep pumping fuel until the system was pressurized? When the bike fails to start its not as if the exhaust cans smell flooded.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Bike not starting
Reply #1 on: 05 March, 2021, 03:51:10 PM
Here you go have a read here

Offline Scootyman

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
  • City / Town: Dunfermline
Reply #2 on: 19 March, 2021, 10:22:31 PM
I am actually experiencing the same problem with my 2006 CBF1000. Itís also strange that I just went to the petrol station and put three litres of V Power unleaded into a can and added it to the tank to top it up. Upon starting I got plumes of smoke, stuttering and now a total non starter. Iíve completed the flooded engine procedure no end of times as well as charging the battery and using a 30amp battery connected to increase starting time to no avail. Whilst my garage can be a little damp, Iím thinking itís a job involving a fuel tank drain, plugs out/spark test and a bore scope down each cylinder to see whatís happening in there. Iím hoping itís condensation in the fuel lines stopping ignition so thatíll be an airline down each cylinder if it is I guess. We will see what happens but Iíll probably record the process and upload to my YouTube channel when I do. Might make an interesting watch for some.
Probably going to chuck it in soon for something different maybe. Considering Iíve done just 20 miles in the past year on the bike and itís been a constant pain in my backside over the past two years with problems, my finger is hovering over the button as I hanker after a little simplicity and reliability.  Shame because itís only done 14,000 miles from new and itís very clean.
We will see

Offline Scootyman

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
  • City / Town: Dunfermline
Reply #3 on: 25 March, 2021, 07:53:19 PM
Ok, so a quick update in case anyone is interested in this thread. Tonight I stripped the panels off the bike and removed the plugs. I didnít mess around trying to wing it and took the thermostat and all the piping in the way off first as i felt it would make the job easier.
To cut the story short, the plugs were fouled and damp with what I think was a mixture of petrol and condensation. I then put a bore scope down into each cylinder and it was much of the same. It looked too damp in there with the same mixture. So after a blast with an airline down each cylinder, a plug clean up and a spark check on each, I reassembled and it started on the button. Success at last. I had to hold the throttle on a little at first until the plumes of white cleared and then it runs lovely again.
Iím needing a new battery and a few other maintenance jobs and then itís maybe off for an MOT and an ogle at the Enfields when this rain goes over in a day or two.
Thanks to Ant for his additional post. I had a feeling this was going to be the case with mine also.
Keep safe all

diverse-leafy