Author Topic: crank, start, cut out, crank, no start  (Read 618 times)

Online Art

• CBF Legend
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
crank, start, cut out, crank, no start
on: 25 February, 2021, 01:47:46 PM
No assistance required on this one, just posting in case its of any help or interest to others in the same boat.

Like many now the motorcycle has been sitting in the garage unattended for 4 months, I think the last time I rode it was down to the MOT testing station last November. Anyway I wheeled it out this morning for some essential errands and it cranks, fires up, immediately cuts out and then it's just cranking but no start. I gave it good chance to fire up too having gone through the flooded engine start up procedure about four or five times and cranking it for 5 bursts of 5-10 seconds in between. It tried with the odd cylinder pop but failed to start. Then, as expected, the battery began to struggle. All in that was the equivalent of around 5 minutes of cranking from an unattended 8+ year old battery! When this battery fails it will be a like for like replacement - Varta TTZ10S-BS

The remedy - I gave the engine and starter motor a rest while I charged the battery on a 4Ah charger for 10 minutes, that was enough for it to fire up as normal.

The diagnosis - Who really knows? If I was a gambling man I'd wager condensation in the fuel lines and cylinders after 4 months standing by in a cold and damp garage. With hindsight it may have been an idea to throw a blanket over it which I've now done in anticipation of the forecast of another cold spell, and not knowing when the COVID-19 Laws will next allow me to wheel it out.

Happy Days and another 12 miles on the clock.
Last Edit: 25 February, 2021, 01:50:07 PM by Art

Offline WileyCoyote

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A GT
  • City / Town: Cheshire
Re: crank, start, cut out, crank, no start
Reply #1 on: 25 February, 2021, 05:29:54 PM
Hi Art,
Yep, get that scenario around once a year but not necessarily after a lay-up.  As "Murphy" or "Sod" would predict it's usually at the start of a holiday jaunt so leads to much embarrassment, especially if done in front of waiting, sniggering, non-Honda riders.  I always assume it must be me ham-fistedly flooding it somehow, though heaven knows I should have had enough practise by now.

I wondered if a fuel system cleaner might be any use, now and again, to reduce gellified gunk, condensation, etc.  Something such as "LIqui Moly 4T Bike Fuel Additive ?  Don't really like the idea of tipping anything the tank, apart from fuel, though.

Battery now five and half years old so hoping it will cover a few more episodes yet. = Yuaza YTZ 10S,

Cheers,
Paul

Online Art

• CBF Legend
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #2 on: 26 February, 2021, 10:47:10 AM
I wouldn't bother with fuel additives or fuel system cleaners. I would check the air filter and air filter housing for signs of condensation or moisture. I would also check, drain and clean the crankcase breather tube, its the short closed end clear plastic tube on the front left hand side of the air filter box. If at any time you suspect there will be difficulties in firing up you could always go straight to the flooded engine start  procedure...

1. Leave the engine stop switch set to RUN.
2. Open throttle fully.
3. Press the start button for 5 seconds.
4. Follow the normal starting procedure.
5. If the engine starts with unstable idle, open the throttle slightly. If the engine does not start, wait for 10 seconds, then follow steps 1-4 again.

The idea here is the same as clearing excess fuel from a flooded engine except you're clearing any condensation.

Offline WileyCoyote

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A GT
  • City / Town: Cheshire
Reply #3 on: 26 February, 2021, 01:37:52 PM
Thanks Art,
Don't fancy the additives either.  Fuel is bad enough, these days, what  with increasing Ethanol proportions etc.,  wouldn't like to guess what solvents/nasties are in the "miracle" additives and what they might do to seals, pipework, etc.
Concur with the filter+housing and breather points. (usually nick a cotton bud or two from the wife)
So, will keep on with the "flooded" technique and a bit of battery charge where necessary. Just try and remember to make sure it's running before any travelling companions turn up.
 :028:

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
Reply #4 on: 26 February, 2021, 08:19:11 PM
Hi Art, can concur immediately on the importance of emptying/cleaning of the crankcase breather tube but more importantly , it is an obvious indicator of the unbalancing of the critical air /water content & fuel balance required by the engine to operate, particularly upon starting. An engine "condensate sodden" with the wrong, exact proportions required  is highly unlikely to respond. Conveniently for most of us, the battery is usually arrived at as the villain!  :008: Ed.

diverse-leafy