Author Topic: No engine oil & filter change in 2021  (Read 1144 times)

Online Art

• CBF Legend
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
No engine oil & filter change in 2021
on: 24 February, 2021, 03:20:58 PM
The 12 months came first ant according to the Honda book another oil & filter change is due. Well sod that, its only done 2,040 miles, it can wait until March 2022 or 8,000 miles whichever comes first and if that's March 2022 I'll only be changing the engine oil, not replacing the oil filter.

I know the engine oil is good for 8,000 miles or 12 months but it's also good for 2 years on the shelf and with just 2,040 miles on the clock the oil may as well have been on the shelf. Which is where I have 4L of Motul 5100 10W-40 4T semi synthetic engine oil and a HiFlo HF204 oil filter in readiness.

Offline WileyCoyote

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A GT
  • City / Town: Cheshire
Re: No engine oil & filter change in 2021
Reply #1 on: 25 February, 2021, 10:41:31 AM
 :028:   Dead on 

Offline davidjg

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-C GT
  • City / Town: London
Reply #2 on: 25 February, 2021, 10:47:12 AM
In exactly the same boat as you. Also did my oil change etc last March and have only done 1,600 miles since. Have decided not to change oil etc until either March next year if present low mileage continues  or much later this year if I  have actually done some proper mileage by then (e.g.  manage to get down to Spain/Portugal).

Offline dbrewerton

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A8
  • City / Town: Calgary, AB
Reply #3 on: 16 May, 2021, 09:23:01 PM
Since we in the Great White North have to put our bikes down for about 6 months of the year, I prefer to do an oil and filter change at the end of the riding season so that it's sitting in fresh, clean oil for the winter. Ready to go in the spring (and this year that's been a bit of guesswork). I use a Full Synthetic (Amsoil) Metric 10W/30 and usually the HiFlo Filtro HF204 filter. I know it would theoretically be good to go a lot longer (4000km last season) but I'd rather err on the side of caution. This season is a crap shoot with all the lockdowns still going on so riding will be pretty local or just within the province. Last season was just as bad in some ways.

Offline Piper

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: NW Kent
Reply #4 on: 18 May, 2021, 02:03:33 PM
Agreed. I've only done about 1000 miles last year, it was due a change back in early March but will hold on until at least the end of the summer if not next year. Oil is looking a little dark in colour but I think that tends to happen in the first few hundred miles anyway.

Online Art

• CBF Legend
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #5 on: 18 May, 2021, 10:20:49 PM
Its always been my preference to change the engine at 8,000 miles which mostly occurs sooner than the 'or 12 months'. The reason I've delayed the last engine oil change and started this thread was because of the unusually low 2,000 annual miles.

I find it mildly annoying when I hear about folk unnecessarily changing engine oil because it has darkened especially those that go on to justify it by falsely claiming its beneficial to the engine. Depending on your choice of engine oil it will contain up to 30% or more of additives and it is some of those additives that are designed to absorb  contaminates that cause the oil to darken. Incidentally those additives are also the reason for the 'or 12 months whichever comes first' recommendation because they breakdown and overtime can cause sludge. If you have some fresh but old engine oil sitting in the garage you can see the additives breaking down by way of dark streaks forming in the bottom of the container.

Offline dbrewerton

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A8
  • City / Town: Calgary, AB
Reply #6 on: 23 May, 2021, 10:18:03 PM
Another factor is what oil you use. If you use regular (dino or mineral) oil I'd say go with a more regular change schedule because it breaks down even if it's not being used. If it's a good synthetic it'll go longer for sure. I do mine even with synthetic since I consider it relatively inexpensive preventative maintenance that (I hope) will keep the engine running smoothly for longer. YMMV

diverse-leafy