Author Topic: CBF1000 first impressions  (Read 1549 times)

Offline Steviemcg

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Glasgow
CBF1000 first impressions
on: 15 February, 2021, 09:11:57 PM
I took my (new to me ) '06 CBF out for a first ride this evening. Just 20mins to get some fuel and a try out. My only other riding experience has been on a CBF600N. My First impressions are based on a likely comparison between the two.
Here goes:- I now have torque. At all times. In any gear. Torque. It's rather pleasant.
It fits me. I'm 5'8" and it just feels right.
The rear brake (linked) is very weak. I might need to check its functioning properly.
I felt the steering very light. Especially on low speed turns. It had a tendency to 'self steer' into the turn.
It had a slightly irritating buzzing sound. Possibly clutch related. Is this normal or a sign of fatigue?

But most of all, it made me smile. Pleasant to ride, comfortable, powerful etc... With my CBF600N it got to the point I chose to ride my Vespa on occasion over the 600. I'm not so sure the 1000 will be left behind as much.

Looking forward to being an active member of this forum...

Offline Tommo2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000GT 2016
  • City / Town: Stevenage
Re: CBF1000 first impressions
Reply #1 on: 16 February, 2021, 11:18:25 AM
 :405:

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
Reply #2 on: 16 February, 2021, 11:53:53 AM
That 'buzzing' might be from the fairings, it was on my bike, but it wasn't easy to trace. I doubt it is the clutch.
Enjoy!
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Barnsley
Reply #3 on: 17 February, 2021, 01:53:19 PM
The rear brake comment was a puzzle because the rear brake with never slow you until you are crawling whatever bike

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Reply #4 on: 17 February, 2021, 03:29:35 PM
*Originally Posted by ivor hugh jarse [+]
The rear brake comment was a puzzle because the rear brake with never slow you until you are crawling whatever bike
It does if your rear brake is in good order - obvs not a patch on good fronts but does slow you down.
- added to which, with the c-abs it cheats and uses some of that too.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
Reply #5 on: 17 February, 2021, 03:42:30 PM
I certainly wouldn't want to have to rely on it to stop from any speed! :164: But it is OK to add to 'normal braking, and when travelling slowly, say when manoeuvring or at the last few feet when coming to a stop. There are many bikes that have 'better' rear brakes, but it is worth checking it is working as it should.   :158: 

Offline Steviemcg

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: 17 February, 2021, 04:31:53 PM
I initially noticed the brake wasn't holding very well whilst stationery on a hill. That prompted me to test further at low speeds. I'd never expect it to slow me significantly from speed.
I rode it to my work premises this morning. It'll stay here and get a full check over before any further riding.
It turns out the bike has only done 500 miles in the last 6yrs. The tyres are 7yr old front, 8yr old rear but look like new. BT021. I think I'll just change them to be sure.

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
Reply #7 on: 18 February, 2021, 02:17:22 PM
*Originally Posted by Steviemcg [+]
I initially noticed the brake wasn't holding very well whilst stationery on a hill. That prompted me to test further at low speeds. I'd never expect it to slow me significantly from speed.
I rode it to my work premises this morning. It'll stay here and get a full check over before any further riding.
It turns out the bike has only done 500 miles in the last 6yrs. The tyres are 7yr old front, 8yr old rear but look like new. BT021. I think I'll just change them to be sure.
Oh boy I wouldn't ride it more than an inch more than necessary to a garage to fit new (Michelin R5s!) with tyres that old! (Max five years usually recommended for car and bike tyres.)

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
Reply #8 on: 18 February, 2021, 03:35:41 PM
BT021's are not good. Go with BT031's if you want to stay with Bridgestones - they are superb.
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Offline Steviemcg

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: 18 February, 2021, 03:47:27 PM
Thanks for the replies on tyres. I had assumed this would be the response. I'm very very strict with my tyres. Both my car and my wives has 2 sets, summer and winter. These Bridgestones will definitely be changed to Michelin Road 5's. My 600 had a set of 4's and I was very pleased.

diverse-leafy