Author Topic: Want to Paint Bike  (Read 584 times)

Offline Mattux15

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2009 CBF1000
Want to Paint Bike
on: 07 February, 2021, 04:43:07 AM
Hey all, I am thinking of taking the paintable parts off my 2009 mk1 and changing the colour entirely. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this and what sort of prep work is involved with painting the plastic parts. Metal I understand, I worry about the longevity of the paint on the plastic.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Angelzarke

• CBF Newbie
  • City / Town: Lancashire
Re: Want to Paint Bike
Reply #1 on: 07 February, 2021, 01:53:17 PM
Lots of old bikes around with painted fairings so I wouldn’t worry about longevity. However the top coat is probably a fair bit thinner on newer bikes, due to the bean counters.

I worked in a body shop in my earlier life with cars but would say similar rules apply to bikes. Preparation is the donkey work but still the key to a good result.

More recently I,ve prepped plastic fairings and coloured panniers to save money at motorcycle refinishers.  You need to be a gentler with plastics, usually much curvier and any profiles and corners can soon disappear. I wouldn’t use any powered sanders, just by hand 600/800 grade wet n
dry for most stuff, anything rougher can show scratches, unless you use a build primer. 

You can achieve good results with rattle cans, just lots of patience required and so much easier in the summer months.

Have a go, it ain’t rocket science and can be very satisfying. If you can find some cheap used panels, practice on those first.

Practice makes perfect 🤩

Cheers

Offline Mattux15

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2009 CBF1000
Reply #2 on: 09 February, 2021, 12:20:33 AM
Thanks for the info! Luckily I'm all set up for spraying as I am a cabinetmaker. Moving on to motorcycles may not be too far of a stretch.

Offline Angelzarke

• CBF Newbie
  • City / Town: Lancashire
Reply #3 on: 10 February, 2021, 11:51:44 AM
Cabinet maker?  You already have the skills!

I deliberately avoided talking about paint as this is a topic all of it’s own.

Check out custom spray mods on YouTube, this Aussie guy is brilliant. His vid myths and misconceptions is a great place to start.

Cheers

diverse-leafy