Author Topic: Will summer trip go ahead?  (Read 1330 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline knapdog

  • CBF Master
  • ****
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 530
  • City / Town: Barry, Vale of G
  • Country: wales
Will summer trip go ahead?
on: 02 February, 2021, 07:32:10 PM
My Spain/Portugal trip was booked with Brittany Ferries last October and must be paid in full at the beginning of April. That date will be crucial as I'll be faced with the decision of paying BF in full with three months still to go before I sail or cancel and just lose my deposit.
All the hotels for my 18 days are booked though no money has been taken and I can cancel without being charged up to 24hrs of the date booked.
I have spent many hours planning each day's route for my satnav with a total of around 3500 miles for the trip and I can hardly wait.
By the time of the trip in June I should have had both my Covid vaccinations but for the first time I'm beginning to wonder whether this trip is coming off due to travelling restrictions etc.
Does anyone else feel in the same predicament?
Stay between the hedges!

#1

Offline Admin

  • Administrator
  • CBF Master
  • *****
  • Posts: 432
  • Country: england
Re: Will summer trip go ahead?
Reply #1 on: 02 February, 2021, 10:04:55 PM
When you going ?   :038:

#2

Offline knapdog

  • CBF Master
  • ****
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 530
  • City / Town: Barry, Vale of G
  • Country: wales
Re: Will summer trip go ahead?
Reply #2 on: 02 February, 2021, 10:30:17 PM
*Originally Posted by Admin [+]
When you going ?   :038:

End of June.
Stay between the hedges!

#3

Offline davidjg

  • CBF Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 99
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-C GT
  • City / Town: London
  • Country: england
Re: Will summer trip go ahead?
Reply #3 on: 03 February, 2021, 12:53:12 AM
In almost the same situation. Transferred my paid up booking for a ferry last year to early June this year, because of the covid situation. Have decided that if the ferry is cancelled again I wlll take a gamble and transfer booking to a a later date, or if latter bookings full will claim back my money.
By the way, have been looking up the post brexit requirements. I have a pre brexit EU number plate with e blue panel with EU flag and GB on it, have found out that all I need to do to make it post brexit EU compliant is to stick a Union Jack over the EU flag (or a complete sticker with Union Jack and GB on it- lots of them on Amazon). This applies to all EU countries EXCEPT Spain, where you will need a separate GB sticker on the back of the bike irrespective of what is on your number plate.
If you aim to visit Andorra, you will now require the appropriate International Driving Permit for that country.

#4

Offline knapdog

  • CBF Master
  • ****
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 530
  • City / Town: Barry, Vale of G
  • Country: wales
Re: Will summer trip go ahead?
Reply #4 on: 20 March, 2021, 08:08:52 AM
My full payment is due on April 1st (it would be) and I'm 60/40 about the trip going ahead at the moment.
I can, of course, defer the holiday, without monetary loss, or cancel the trip within 6 weeks of sailing and just lose my deposit.
All my hotels are booked and I've got free cancellation on them up to 24hrs before each booking so that's a relief.
The bike is ready to go and I've got everything I need for the trip. I just wish I knew what was happening.
Stay between the hedges!

#5

Offline davidjg

  • CBF Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 99
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-C GT
  • City / Town: London
  • Country: england
Re: Will summer trip go ahead?
Reply #5 on: 20 March, 2021, 02:08:04 PM
With the news today about the 3rd wave in Europe, I have now given up hope of my 7th June sailing to Santander (was going to drive back through France after 4/5 weeks in Spain). As this will  be the 3rd time my ferry passage is  likely to be cancelled (my sailing was deferred/cancelled twice last year ), I have no idea whether I will get another credit note or deferral to a later date. My ferry is all paid for (since about Nov 2019 + I had to pay additional money for the new ferry charges for their brand new boat after the 2nd deferral/cancellation last year). If the worse happens I am resigned to losing all my  ferry money - the loss is far less than the risk of getting covid  or not being able to book hotels by the internet  etc. in Spain or France as I go (due to a lockdowns etc) or even possibly having to self isolate in an hotel in England upon my return.
Best for luck with whatever you decide to do.

#6

Offline davidjg

  • CBF Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 99
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-C GT
  • City / Town: London
  • Country: england
Re: Will summer trip go ahead?
Reply #6 on: 20 March, 2021, 02:25:02 PM
Sorry, forgot to mention, even if your ferry is not cancelled, what will be the position be about possible vaccination certificates/passports if Spain and other EU counties decide that you cannot enter them without one. Will you have the first and second jab before you travel and have sufficient time to get such a cert/passport (whatever the procedure and time factor that may be involved). Nobody is a fortune reader on what could happen.

#7

Offline knapdog

  • CBF Master
  • ****
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 530
  • City / Town: Barry, Vale of G
  • Country: wales
Re: Will summer trip go ahead?
Reply #7 on: 20 March, 2021, 02:28:57 PM
*Originally Posted by davidjg [+]
Will you have the first and second jab before you travel and have sufficient time to get such a cert/passport (whatever the procedure and time factor that may be involved). Nobody is a fortune reader on what could happen.

I'll have my second jab shortly. I was also given a vaccination record card to show when they were given, including which type.
Stay between the hedges!

#8

Offline davidjg

  • CBF Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 99
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-C GT
  • City / Town: London
  • Country: england
Re: Will summer trip go ahead?
Reply #8 on: 20 March, 2021, 04:46:49 PM
Would not put any weight weight whatsoever on your vaccination card and whether it could be accepted as a vaccination cert/passport. If it is like the English one (credit card size with blue background) it will only have your name and batch numbers on. It does not have any clue to you actually are i.e National insurance number, NHS number, passport number, address, photo etc etc etc. I could knock up a false one within 10 minutes for travel purposes!! Anybody you accepted the English vaccination card as  absolute proof of vaccination would have to be  a complete mug.

#9

Offline knapdog

  • CBF Master
  • ****
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 530
  • City / Town: Barry, Vale of G
  • Country: wales
Re: Will summer trip go ahead?
Reply #9 on: 20 March, 2021, 04:53:31 PM
^^^ Very true.
Stay between the hedges!

 


diverse-leafy