Author Topic: Extractor Tools  (Read 605 times)

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
Extractor Tools
on: 01 February, 2021, 07:56:55 PM
Hi ALL. Have been extracting  a set of rusted in studs/bolts on some exhaust manifold to downpipe joints today. Tried loads of the standard approaches without success. My neighbour then offered  his set of extractors from a firm called, THINKWORK. They are a much improved version of the old idea of hammering on a near-fitting socket to a damaged/ seized bolt/stud to apply a more powerful & gripping  loosening torque to the  frozen in fastener. All eight fasteners are now removed. Search THINKWORK for more. Ed.

Online Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Extractor Tools
Reply #1 on: 01 February, 2021, 11:49:56 PM
Happy Days

Reverse spiral sockets are the latest go to tool for rounded off nuts and bolts. If any of your vehicle have been previously serviced by a monkey boy they are a must have in your tool box. Google 'rounded bolt extractor' for a selection, avoid the ones sold as consumables which may only last for a couple of nuts/bolts.

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
Reply #2 on: 02 February, 2021, 10:42:45 AM
Hi Art. These THINKWORK ones seem like the business for repeated use. They are billed as being, "high hardness chromemolybdenum steel,3/8 inch square drive & were unmarked from their last engagement! 13 sizes from 3/4(19mm) down to 1/4.Neighbour advises that he paid around 24 for them.Ed.

Online Art

• CBF Legend
Reply #3 on: 02 February, 2021, 01:24:21 PM
The post is appreciated, it is always good to hear of tools being tried and tested and that they do what it says on the box. I have an unbranded beat up set I picked up at a boot sale for 1, the spirals are worn and I suspect they've not been put to too much use, when I needed them on my swing arm strip down they did what they do but I suspect they now have a limited life expectancy.

The Thinkwork Impact Bolt Extractor Set is still available on Amazon for 24.99 and looks to be a good buy. I was just trying to point out similar tools at similar prices were available off the shelf from other outlets including Screwfix, Tool Station and to avoid tools described as 'consumable'. Another tool I'd definitely avoid is the 'Laser Survivor Socket' currently being supplied by Halfrauds and other outlets.

The trick in using reverse spiral sockets is to make sure the spiral socket is fitted snug and square over the nut/bolt head, there's no need to hammer them on, then while holding the socket square on the nut/bolt apply gradually increasing pressure to allow the spirals to cut in and grip the nut/bolt which should then spin off. It is worth bearing in mind the nut/bolt was rounded for a reason so give the threads a goodly spray and soaking with GT85 or your penetrating fluid of choice and maybe a little heat treatment in case you are dealing with any previously applied threadlock. 

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
Reply #4 on: 02 February, 2021, 09:37:54 PM
Just make sure you don't over torque them because if they sheer you are in BIG trouble! :172:
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Online Art

• CBF Legend
Reply #5 on: 03 February, 2021, 11:10:33 AM
Let's keep it positive, besides all eight fasteners are now removed.

Offline Philby21

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000-8
  • City / Town: Flint
Reply #6 on: 05 February, 2021, 09:57:16 PM
Something else added to my shopping list!

One of those things that's liable to sit on a shelf gathering dust, then suddenly I'll need it and it'll be worth it's weight in gold.

Used something very similar years ago to remove locking wheel nuts from a car that didn't come with the socket adapter!

Phil