Author Topic: Reliability & Comfort  (Read 1110 times)

Offline slideplayer

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Z900rs gsx1100
  • City / Town: Derval
Reliability & Comfort
on: 23 January, 2021, 12:58:14 PM
Hi there, now i'm getting on a bit, looking for a bike which is comfortable, and reliable. Perhaps the CBF 1000 fits the bill. How do they compare to FJR 1300, or Trophy, weight, reliability, comfort etc. Your views and advice most welcome. Many thanks.

Offline knapdog

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Barry, Vale of G
Re: Reliability & Comfort
Reply #1 on: 23 January, 2021, 03:51:31 PM
I am on my second mk2 biffer.
In between I've had two R1200 RT's (never again) and a CB1300. The CB1300 was a lovely bike, very comfortable and with tons of torque. I did 3000 miles around Spain on it in 2019 but was involved in an accident when I came home ( not injured) and it was a write-off. I considered another one but thought I'd go back to a biffer.
I have not been disappointed.
I have another Spain/Portugal trip booked for the summer, Covid permitting, and I can't wait.
The biffer will be brilliant with the hard side panniers and top box. I find the cbf1000 mk2 very comfortable indeed. It has all the power I'll ever need. It's smooth and handles very well. Importantly, I am flat footed on it as well ( 5,9" and 30" inside leg).
It also extremely reliable. Great bike.
Stay between the hedges!

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
Reply #2 on: 23 January, 2021, 05:33:59 PM
I had a MK1 Biffer for 7 years and toured extensively with it. It has one weakness, the rotor, but Mk2 (black engine) don't have this problem. Otherwise a remarkably reliable bike, and had a three position seat to cater for different leg lengths. Others will tell you more.

I rode an 'Blood Bike' FJR 1300 fairly regularly and found it heavier. Strangely I didn't think it pulled as well as teh Biffer from low revs, but naturally once into its stride it could outperform the Biffer. It didn't feel as 'nimble'.

Comfort is a personal issue, as are windscreens! However I did use an Airhawk cover when covering over 300 miles day after day! (I am old and have no 'padding'). I'm also vertically challenged and could flat foot it with seat on lowest position. I couldn't do that on the FJR.
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
Reply #3 on: 25 January, 2021, 07:53:49 PM
I've had 4 FJR's and 3 CBF's (1 MK1 and 2 MK2's). I did all my long distance touring on the FJR and found it brilliant. But once my wife had got a CBF and I rode it, I realised it could actually do everything the FJR could do but was much lighter.

My only issue when I first got it was the screen - but a raked back MRA screen seems to do the job quite nicely. I've done tours of Scotland and been overseas on the CBF and it's been fine for long distances.

Alan

Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Offline raYzerman

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A9 VFR800
  • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
Reply #4 on: 26 January, 2021, 12:31:42 AM
Echoing some of the comments, I've had two FJR's and wanted a CBF so I could lose 150 lbs., lol.  My Mk1 does all the FJR does with slightly less power, but it is much easier to flick around than the FJR.  The CBF is the smoothest power delivery ever, quite linear.  One bike I would try, but they didn't import it here, is the VFR800X Crosstourer.  That might be interesting.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #5 on: 26 January, 2021, 07:41:05 AM
+1 @Rev Ken - Comfort is a personal issue.

I've never had a FJR or Trophy but I can say I have no complaints with my CBF 1000A-6 and its stock seat and screen. Sure I've thought about handing the seat over to Viking Motorcycle Seats for remodeling, I've also considered aftermarket screens and raising the handlebar height but at the end of the day I haven't been able to justify the expense on what seems to me to be for little or no measurable benefit. I've found my stock set up comfortable enough on RBLR 1000's and IBA LDR's, that's 18 hour days in the saddle to those unfamiliar with the RBLR & IBA and includes a 2,500 mile sortie around the UK in less than 60 hours!

Happy Days

Offline knapdog

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Barry, Vale of G
Reply #6 on: 27 January, 2021, 09:19:21 AM
*Originally Posted by raYzerman [+]
One bike I would try, but they didn't import it here, is the VFR800X Crosstourer.  That might be interesting.

Have sat on one in a dealers but found it too tall. I was really hoping that it would fit me but I have to be flat footed on a bike.
Stay between the hedges!

Offline Sabes

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000FAC
  • City / Town: Havant
Reply #7 on: 27 January, 2021, 06:05:48 PM
*Originally Posted by slideplayer [+]
Hi there, now i'm getting on a bit, looking for a bike which is comfortable, and reliable. Perhaps the CBF 1000 fits the bill. How do they compare to FJR 1300, or Trophy, weight, reliability, comfort etc. Your views and advice most welcome. Many thanks.

I have a Trophy and a MkII biffer right now. The most notable differences in my opinion is weight and weather protection. The Trophy is an excellent bike and will do everything but fully loaded with the Mrs on the back its quite a weight. I've toured on both (though it was a MK I Biffer) and from a comfort perspective there isn't much in them in my opinion. Both are super reliable. Biffer has a chain where as the trophy is shaft so you have that to deal with on the biffer. Heated seats on the Trophy but not on the Biffer. Biffer is narrower than the Trophy so if you are vertically challenged probably easier to reach the floor!!!!

comes down to the ole thing of what do you want to do with it. Both are very capable two up tourers though the Trophy and alike have added advantages of arguably better weather protection.

hope that helps

Mark

Offline slideplayer

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Z900rs gsx1100
  • City / Town: Derval
Reply #8 on: 29 January, 2021, 04:24:30 PM
Thanks for your thoughts so far, seems that the cb is more suited to me as an everyday comfortable street bike, just the problem of the screen , which some people have overcome, so probably isn't a deal breaker. Two problems left to overcome, 1 a test ride, 2 how much to import a bike into France from England NOW. Many thanks for your help .