Author Topic: Bike will not start  (Read 478 times)

Offline Tree Man

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: cbf 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Neath
Bike will not start
on: 04 January, 2021, 06:06:10 PM
Removed and painted the centre and side stand. After I re-fitted them I tried to start the bike but it will not start. The engine is turning over but it will not fire. First thought, I have disturbed the switch on the side stand. When the side stand is down and in gear the engine will not turn over, this is as it should be. Any ideas?

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Bike will not start
Reply #1 on: 05 January, 2021, 01:58:21 AM
Engine starting conditions

In neutral with the side stand up or down it should crank and start.
In gear (side stand up or down) it should be no crank, no start.
In gear (side stand up or down) and with the clutch lever pulled in it should crank and start.

Will the engine crank and start with the clutch lever pulled in? The clutch lever switch overrides the side stand and neutral gear switches!

Pre engine start check that the - neutral indicator is ON, engine stop switch is set to RUN, low oil pressure indicator is ON, PGM-FI malfunction indicator lamp is OFF, high coolant temperature indicator is OFF, ABS indicator is ON. Then if the engine fails to start after repeated attempts, it may be flooded with fuel or condensation. Try the flooded engine start procedure...

Engine stop switch set to RUN.
Open the throttle fully (this disables the PGM-FI fueling system).
Press the start button for 5 seconds (this clears any excess fuel or condensation from the cylinders).
Close the throttle and press the start button to start engine.
If the engine starts with an erratic tick over, open the throttle a little (this clears any remaining fuel/condensation from the cylinders).
If the engine does not start, wait 10 seconds and try the flooded engine start procedure again.

Offline Tree Man

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: 05 January, 2021, 02:57:38 PM
Thanks Art for the information. Tried all of what you advised and it still won't start. It is trying to fire and had a back fire in the exhaust so probably there is spark and fuel. I have had the bike for three years and never had a starting problem. When I tried to start it after painting the stands the battery was not fully charged I had not used it for about a month,  I usually keep it charged with an optimiser once a week as it is shared with a car and I forgot to swap it round. I read in an old post that someone had a similar problem and it took him a week to get it started.

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Reply #3 on: 05 January, 2021, 03:34:36 PM
Coincidence - standard (winter, not used for a bit) my bike won't start problem?

Follow the flooded engine start-up (WOT to clear) and be prepared to charge up your battery between attempts/jump start it (if you must).
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #4 on: 05 January, 2021, 04:35:06 PM
+1 Its essential to have a fully charged battery so that the starter motor cranks the engine at a decent enough rate to blow any fuel or condensation out of the cylinders. If that fails try the flooded engine start procedure once more only this time when you attempt to start the engine do so with a little throttle.

Offline Tree Man

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: 09 January, 2021, 04:59:51 PM
Bike started today after leaving it for 4 days. With the battery fully charged I tried starting with the normal starting procedure, ignition on, in neutral, no throttle, did not start. Tried full throttle to clear any flooding. Tried to start this time with a little throttle, did not start. Put battery back on charge and left it for about an hour. Tried the same as above and it fired up when I was using a little throttle. I kept the throttle open for it to run at about 3000 rpm for a minute or so then it idled fine. I let it warm up until the fan came on, turned it off and it started instantly like normal. Tried about 4 hours later and it started straight away. Hopefully from now on I will not have any more starting problems and I will make sure the battery is fully charged before every time I try and start it.

Thanks all for your help.