Author Topic: Brake Deceleration Indicators  (Read 1127 times)

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
Brake Deceleration Indicators
on: 25 December, 2020, 01:46:53 PM
Hi All.Merry Christmas. Has  anybody successfully used one of these please? If so, would appreciate detail.Thanks.Ed.

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Barnsley
Re: Brake Deceleration Indicators
Reply #1 on: 28 December, 2020, 04:04:31 PM
Brake lights?... yeah... i often touch the rear brake to get them lit even when I don't need to - simply to show the cars behind I'm slowing down .. it may look like I'm braking for no reason but it beats a car up the rear

My car has those flashing indicators when jumping on the brakes very hard but in my eyes its far too late to have anyone respond but you never know
Last Edit: 28 December, 2020, 04:07:24 PM by ivor hugh jarse
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: 28 December, 2020, 05:36:01 PM
Hi Ivor. Yes, I am always dabbing my brake lights on especially when someone is up my, "Hugh Arse!" I have ordered the one that does that for you without you even thinking about it. Relies on  a deceleration sensor which operates your brake light if you reduce speed for any reason  e.g. engine braking, throttle closure ,dozing off! etc. About 56 Sovs from America in a week or so but seems like a bargain to me. Best Regards. Ed. :031:

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
Reply #3 on: 28 December, 2020, 05:44:18 PM
*Originally Posted by iNCORRIGIBLE [+]
Hi All.Merry Christmas. Has  anybody successfully used one of these please? If so, would appreciate detail.Thanks.Ed.
Just a warning. When stationery and your brake light isn't a 'steady light' they will fail the MOT (*I know!). If however they only flash when you are moving then they will pass.

* I thought of having a switch to bypass the electronics for the MOT, but they stopped working so I didn't bother. I certainly reconvert my headlights to HID after using 'candles' for the MOT as I consider this is a safety issue and DVSA has got it wrong. They based the banning of HID conversions on a sixties paper about cheap first generation Chinese HID conversions. In my opinion, if they can meet the normal MOT required beam pattern, then I see no reason for banning them. Strangely, LED conversions last time I checked, are not a fail item so long as their beam pattern is OK. End of rant.
Last Edit: 28 December, 2020, 05:49:12 PM by Rev Ken
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: 28 December, 2020, 08:07:47 PM
Hi, Rev Ken . Thanks for that. My understanding of the device I have ordered is that it will only illuminate the brake lights upon a deceleration condition & will cease this illumination  once deceleration has ceased. I don't think it is designed to flash the brake lights on & off  & is not, of course, dependent on the manual operation of the front or rear brake light switches as so many of the earlier versions are.  Will advise findings. Ed.

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
Reply #5 on: 29 December, 2020, 12:20:32 AM
*Originally Posted by iNCORRIGIBLE [+]
Hi, Rev Ken . Thanks for that. My understanding of the device I have ordered is that it will only illuminate the brake lights upon a deceleration condition & will cease this illumination  once deceleration has ceased. I don't think it is designed to flash the brake lights on & off  & is not, of course, dependent on the manual operation of the front or rear brake light switches as so many of the earlier versions are.  Will advise findings. Ed.
I look forward to your findings, especially if it can be fitted to a CANBUS system!
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: 02 January, 2021, 06:43:29 PM
Hi,Ken .Am awaiting delivery of the Smart Turn Brake Module but have secured a scanned copy of the installation diagram which implies compatibility with BMW's. CANBUS also referred to separately for KTM's. Will try to load. If not, I can email to you. Ed.

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Barnsley
Reply #7 on: 02 January, 2021, 08:14:26 PM
with regard to headlights in the UK we can have yellow .. I'm the only bike for miles around that has a yellow headlight and it does catch the eye because its different... only cost a bulb too  :123:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS