Author Topic: Toolkit.  (Read 588 times)

Offline Poshbird06

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Codnor/ Derby
Toolkit.
on: 02 December, 2020, 01:33:47 PM
Hi fellow owners and riders.   :169:

Ive not long had my CBF100 MK1 (2008) and I am looking for the underseat tool kit.  I cannot seem to find one anywhere.  Can you advise what I should put in there as a basic kit for when I need it.

Many thanks 

Poshbird

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Toolkit.
Reply #1 on: 02 December, 2020, 03:09:19 PM
 :405:

What you have or put in an under seat tool kit very much depends on you. No point in carrying tools you don't know how to use or tools for jobs you don't know how to do. If you're mechanical know how is limited you'll be better off with a breakdown service membership card. Used CBF 1000 standard tool kits come up on ebay from time to time but are usually well over priced for what's in them, if you can pick a complete tool kit up for less than £20 including postage that's about the right price. The standard tool kit contains

5 mm x 150 mm flat blade screwdriver
No2 x 150 mm JIS (Phillips) screwdriver
22 mm & 27 mm ring spanner, pin spanner and handle set
16 mm (5/8") spark plug tool
5 mm Allen key
10 mm x 12 mm ring spanner
8 mm x 10 mm & 14 mm x 17 mm open ended spanners

I've upgraded the rubbish PVC tool bag for a stout canvas bag (cash bag courtesy of Barclays Bank) and added

8 mm & 10mm  sockets, 80 mm extension and tee bar (all 1/4" square drive)
6 mm Allen key
100 mm side cutters
tyre pressure gauge
tubeless tyre puncture repair kit
spare H7 headlamp bulb
LED head torch
mechanics gloves
oily rag

It all fits neatly under the seat. I also carry a can of Holts tyreweld, a bicycle pump & Schrader valve connector and last but not least 125 ml of general purpose machine oil in my top box. Mainly because I do several long distance rides of 1,000+ miles throughout the year.
Last Edit: 02 December, 2020, 03:10:25 PM by Art

Offline Bluefox

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Cbf1000
  • City / Town: Leicestershire
Reply #2 on: 02 December, 2020, 04:01:19 PM
On a trip I pretty much carry basic tools and sockets in top box. I ride all year and very rarely carry a pillion, fitted pretty much permanently is a pillion saddle bag which contains a tin of tyreweld a first aid kit a bottle of water and an energy bar.

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
Reply #3 on: 02 December, 2020, 09:33:14 PM
 :401:

I wouldn't particularly recommend any of the original Honda tools, as they are fairly crap quality in my opinion. The 'wobbly' spark plug spanner is the star of the show, and is easily the most actually useful tool out of the whole Honda kit. This one tool, that will most likely cost over £20 new, is worth every penny when it comes to getting those spark plugs in & out. The rest of the Honda tool kit is pretty poor really, and you can easy knock up your own tool bag, which will be a far superior one than the original Honda tool kit - unless you buy your tools at Poundland. :008:

If you find a Honda tool kit on ebay, if it doesn't have the wobbly plug spanner included I wouldn't bother, unless it's absolutely cheap as chips, or you're just obsessed and absolutely have to have one!

Part number for the plug spanner is 89216MAT000. This spanner fits numerous bikes which you'll see on that link below. If you can be chewed search on ebay for someone selling the plug spanner on its own, or do a search for the under seat tool kit for any of those bikes listed here...

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/honda-parts/89216mat000

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #4 on: 03 December, 2020, 01:15:53 AM
+1 The Honda tool kit tools are not the best quality but for EDC they just about pass muster. I got caught out on a 3,000 miler long weekend and successfully adjusted the drive chain using nothing more than is in the Honda under seat tool kit.

Good things come in three's aside from the plug spanner the other two stars in the tool kit are the pin spanner for adjusting the rear shock and the short extension bar in combination with the pin spanner for propping up the fuel tank, add your own oily rag if you're paranoid about paint chips.

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000 SC58 MK1
  • City / Town: Manchester
Reply #5 on: 06 December, 2020, 12:29:28 AM
If you donít want to carry a big tool kit around a long 5mm ball hex/Allen key will remove the side panels, fairings and the seat, along with a offset 8mm and 10mm combination spanner. The spanner will remove the battery leads and lower front cowl and also tighten up anything essential that might come loose, like the brake and clutch levers, etc. Iím quite sure the mirrors are 10mm hex/Allen, but you should adjust and check the mirrors before you set off anyway.   :152:
Last Edit: 06 December, 2020, 12:48:56 AM by Crispy
Soichiro Honda, I salute you.

Offline FireBladerDk

• Article Editor
  • CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A 2007
Reply #6 on: 08 December, 2020, 07:57:01 PM
As already mentioned the spark plug tool which fits correctly to the CBF1000 is important to have, if you want to do maintenance yourself. Theese pictures are from DIY http://www.fireblader.dk/i_files/mc011.htm

Another nice thing from the toolkit is the spanner, which can be used for holding the liftet tank in position.
Se the pictures in this DIY on Tank Lifting: http://www.fireblader.dk/i_files/mc013.htm

:041: ... Fred
Last Edit: 08 December, 2020, 08:10:53 PM by FireBladerDk

diverse-leafy