Author Topic: Heated grips  (Read 939 times)

Offline Bogal298

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Plymouth
Heated grips
on: 26 November, 2020, 07:42:59 AM
It's getting chillier and this will be my first winter with my biffa on the road, last winter it was in the garage whilst I repaired it after an unexpected gravity test.

Just wondered if any of you had any recommendations for heated grips with ideally a small controller and possibly a master switch that can be stowed away.

Either way, good morning, hope you all have a lovely day 🙂

Offline FLIZ

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
Re: Heated grips
Reply #1 on: 26 November, 2020, 08:52:25 AM
Oxford heated grips, wired in through ignition fed live and a relay. Used them for years and never had any issues.
                                     :028:

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #2 on: 26 November, 2020, 10:52:54 AM
+1 ignition switched power supply, my  preferred way is via a dedicated relay triggered accessory loom extension which can then also be used to power the likes of SatNav, phone charger, 12v socket, DRL's, heated vest etc.

The bottom line here is regardless what the manufacturer may claim about battery saving electrickery power heated grips off an always live feed and sooner or later you'll experience a no start no crank situation due to a flat battery.

Offline Classic

• CBF Newbie
  • Bike: CBF1000 AT
  • City / Town: London
Reply #3 on: 27 November, 2020, 07:53:46 PM
Having just done over an hours motorway trip this morning and getting deep frozen digits I was going to ask about heated grips too.

Art, can you clarify what you mean't please? I understood from your post that no matter what, my battery will go flat if I use heated grips?  Is that right? :152:

Offline FLIZ

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
Reply #4 on: 27 November, 2020, 08:43:34 PM
Some manufacturers claim that the grips can be wired directly to the battery terminals, and if you forget to turn them off, that they will sense the battery voltage getting low and will automatically turn themselves off to save the battery from going flat. That may well be the case, but I personally wouldn’t trust to that scenario.

I always wire mine through an ignition switch fed live and relay.
When you turn off the ignition the grips turn off, when you turn ignition back on the grips turn back on at the setting they were last used on. Obviously if you don’t want the grips on you can turn them off at the controller.

Your battery won’t go flat if you ride with the grips turned on, as well as lights, fan etc, providing your charging system is operating correctly.

Offline Classic

• CBF Newbie
  • Bike: CBF1000 AT
  • City / Town: London
Reply #5 on: 27 November, 2020, 08:52:45 PM
Cheers Fliz, that makes things clearer now. I've only ever had heated grips on one bike, a Triumph Tiger steamer. It came with them already fitted and they just had on or off via a switch, and never caused me any problems.

I like your solution, it makes sense. Oxford heated grips it is. Hopefully I'll find a local garage to do them in the next week or two  :028:

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
Reply #6 on: 28 November, 2020, 12:58:49 AM
*Originally Posted by Classic [+]
Art, can you clarify what you mean't please? ...

What he ^^^ said

Offline Steve_h

• CBF Newbie
  • Bike: CBF100 mk 2
  • City / Town: Teesdale
Reply #7 on: 30 November, 2020, 09:46:51 AM
+1 for Oxfords. I've got them on the other bike and they are way better than the standard fit ones on my buffer ( the Honda ones only do high, very high and maim - sometimes I just want toastie).
Mine are wired direct to the battery and shut-off does work, but one day it might fail and there is always the risk of some wag repeatedly switching them on.

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
Reply #8 on: 30 November, 2020, 11:38:52 AM
*Originally Posted by Steve_h [+]
+1 for Oxfords. I've got them on the other bike and they are way better than the standard fit ones on my buffer ( the Honda ones only do high, very high and maim - sometimes I just want toastie).
Mine are wired direct to the battery and shut-off does work, but one day it might fail and there is always the risk of some wag repeatedly switching them on.

Mine too are wired straight to battery. Always have been & have never had any trouble. Each to their own.  :030:

As for any wags tampering with your bike, a swift & vigorous punch in their face makes them reconsider quite quickly.   :039: :028:

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
Reply #9 on: 30 November, 2020, 05:16:27 PM
The issue with heated grips wired direct to the battery would not apply to a battery or charging system in tip top condition, when either becomes a little tired the heated grips will let you know. Murphy's Law states that will be on a cold wet night, miles from civilisation and a mobile phone signal.

diverse-leafy