Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: ABS newb: what do I need to know?  (Read 870 times)

sambaman, Piper and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online sambaman

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: 2006 ABS
  • City / Town: Liverpool
ABS newb: what do I need to know?
« on: 22 November, 2020, 04:47:56 PM »
My last biffer didn't have ABS but my new one does. Both Mk1s.

I notice the spare stator storage space under the seat has been stolen!

I'm ok with maintaining normal brakes but I've not had a bike with ABS before so what do I need to know about looking after it?

If you can't change your Mark 1 stator with your eyes shut: you haven't been riding your bike enough....

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: ABS newb: what do I need to know?
« Reply #1 on: 23 November, 2020, 10:52:30 AM »
Spare stator storage FFS :157: I wonder if anyone who has ever carried a spare stator has ever had the need to fit one roadside? Besides stators don't suddenly fail, if the charging system is checked properly and the results noted at regular service intervals plenty of advance warning will be had of any pending failure.

The ABS braking system has pretty much the same maintenance requirements as any other braking system, periodically check pads, discs, fluid lines and replace fluid as recommended in the service schedule. Some home mechanics have struggled with brake fluid replacement on the Honda CBS ABS braking system but it is an easy enough job using the flush and bleed in one method. In brief don’t drain the braking system but use the new fresh brake fluid to flush the old stale brake fluid out of the braking system in the following sequence

From the front brake reservoir flush/bleed 1) front right caliper upper nipple 2) front left caliper upper nipple

From the rear brake reservoir flush/bleed 3) front right caliper centre nipple 4) rear caliper lower nipple, 5) rear caliper upper nipple

Once fresh fluid appears at the nipple move on to the next nipple when all 5 nipples have been flushed you’re done, no need to bleed as this method replaces, flushes and bleeds all in one

:211: If you haven't already you can download the Honda Workshop and Owners Manuals here section 4 covers the maintenance schedule.

Online sambaman

• CBF Pro
« Reply #2 on: 23 November, 2020, 01:09:40 PM »
Thanks Art, that's really heloful. I'll download the workshop manual too. Very kind!

Sounds like I need to do a bit of reading too.

What adcanced warning does the stator give? On my last biff, I replaced it theee times and the only warning I everr noticed was the heated grips turning off by thenselves!

Chris
If you can't change your Mark 1 stator with your eyes shut: you haven't been riding your bike enough....

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
« Reply #3 on: 23 November, 2020, 02:07:18 PM »
I hope you didn't replace those stators on account of the heated grip idiot lights!

The stator doesn't give an advanced warning as such, however, if you check and note the initial charging system's output voltage this will give you a base line to work from. For example when I replaced my failed stator (proven by continuity between the coils and chassis ground) I noted with the new stator the charging system output voltage was 14.2v at 5,000 RPM. Here we are 4 years later and it's still outputting the exact same 14.2v at 5,000 RPM. If at some time in the future I notice this drops to 14v it could be a sign the stator is less than 100%. Of course there could be many other reasons for the drop in output voltage such as battery condition or charging system wiring including dirty or loose terminals, connections, main fuse or chassis ground. Always carry out a thorough and methodical testing of the charging system and its components, proving the fault before replacing parts willy nilly.
« Last Edit: 23 November, 2020, 02:12:25 PM by Art »

Online sambaman

• CBF Pro
« Reply #4 on: 23 November, 2020, 04:34:48 PM »
Good advice.

My 'new' bike came with a charging problem and, having had three fried stators on my last biff, I tested that first. I tested for continuity between the three phases, which there was, so I ordered a replacement from electrex. It was indeed fried and is now replaced.

However, while the charge at idle seems ok, its not getting above 13.8V with.revs. At that point (around 3000rpm) the RR kicks in and reduces it.

I'll check all the connections and the earth tomorrow but I suspect the RR tbh. The battery is new.

Your thoughts? Should be more than 13.8 shouldn't it?

Online sambaman

• CBF Pro
« Reply #5 on: 23 November, 2020, 04:43:31 PM »
Actially, according to the electrosport fault finding diagram it should be 13.5 - 14.8V. But it still seems weird that the RR is kicking in that early.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
« Reply #6 on: 23 November, 2020, 05:20:40 PM »
I'd expect more than 13.8v too. How accurate is your multimeter?

Run the engine at idle and turn on the main beam, indicators etc. then slowly increase the RPM to see at what point the battery voltage reaches 13.5v. ElectroSport specify 13.5v to 14.8v because any less and the battery isn't charging and any more will cook the battery. Follow their charging system fault finder and you won't go far wrong.

It doesn't matter that the battery is new it still needs to tested and proven to have and hold >12.5v.

The regulator/rectifier doesn't reduce the voltage it just caps it at around 14.5v or so.

Online sambaman

• CBF Pro
« Reply #7 on: 23 November, 2020, 07:11:19 PM »
Brilliant. Thanks for.your help Art

Online sambaman

• CBF Pro
« Reply #8 on: 23 November, 2020, 07:16:23 PM »
I don't know how accurate the multimeter is but I bought it recently and it wasn't the cheapest.

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000 SC58 MK1
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #9 on: 23 November, 2020, 07:45:44 PM »
I’m sure non-ABS CBF’s don’t have the combined anti-lock braking system (CBS/ABS). The CBS links the rear brake to the middle piston on the right front brake calliper. So if you service the front brakes on a ABS Biffer, you’ll need to use the back brake to pump out the middle piston.

Your last Biffer without ABS would only have two pistons on the front calliper rather than three found on the ABS model, to accommodate the front brake working in tandem with the back.
Soichiro Honda, I salute you.