Author Topic: Knocking from rear or middle of CBF1000  (Read 1355 times)

Offline FLIZ

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
Re: Knocking from rear or middle of CBF1000
Reply #10 on: 25 November, 2020, 08:49:47 AM
Re the “knocking noise” check the engine mountings, especially the front hanger mounting
bolts they could be loose. I recall seeing a post somewhere that these bolts had snapped/sheared off. Be careful when check tightening them, the threads could be corroded in the engine.

Offline BigGinger

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF 1000
  • City / Town: London
Reply #11 on: 25 November, 2020, 09:36:55 AM
Thanks!

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #12 on: 25 November, 2020, 10:35:47 AM
Unclear what the symptom is here. Is this the same pre wheel bearing replacement knocking? Is it a knocking or heavy clicking? Is the noise only heard when the starter button is depressed? When the noise is heard is the starter motor spinning and cranking the engine? I'm thinking the starter relay is clicking/knocking (switching on and off) due to low battery voltage or poor CCA. This symptom is normally described as a fast clicking but get very loud and sound more like a knocking.

Since this is only happening from cold when the battery voltage is at its lowest I'd connect a multimeter across the battery terminals and see what the voltage drops to when the starter button is depressed and you hear the knocking.

Maybe invest in a  mechanics stethoscope  and get down and dirty to pin point the source of this knocking.

Other suspects would depend on the source of the knocking. If you're sure its coming from the starter motor its more likely to be the starter motor clutch than the starter motor itself. I doubt it would be the engine mounting bolts but an easy enough job to run over them with a torque wrench.
Last Edit: 25 November, 2020, 10:36:53 AM by Art

Offline BigGinger

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF 1000
  • City / Town: London
Reply #13 on: 25 November, 2020, 10:39:12 AM
I suspend the starter motor clutch. It wasn’t a click, I’m familiar with the symptoms of a low battery unfortunately 🤦🏼‍♂️

When I pressed the ignition, I got the regular noises, then three loud knocks, the she fired up.

It didn’t happen this morning and I installed the aftermarket exhausts overnight. I don’t think that has anything to do with it but heyho.

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Barnsley
Reply #14 on: 25 November, 2020, 02:55:03 PM
My centre stand whacks the chain when hitting a pot hole - I've ignored it for years as it only happens rarely on a ride - been doing it for 12,000 miles with no problems
Last Edit: 25 November, 2020, 02:55:49 PM by ivor hugh jarse
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #15 on: 25 November, 2020, 04:23:47 PM
*Originally Posted by ivor hugh jarse [+]
My centre stand whacks the chain when hitting a pot hole - I've ignored it for years as it only happens rarely on a ride - been doing it for 12,000 miles with no problems

:451:

I'd take a closer look at that, at rest there's a 50mm gap between the drive chain and centre stand the two should never contact each other, more likely to be one or the other. Its either a weak or broken centre stand spring or, a worn drive chain slider and/or too much slack in the drive chain.

diverse-leafy