Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Knocking from rear or middle of CBF1000  (Read 1009 times)

Offline BigGinger

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF 1000
  • City / Town: London
Knocking from rear or middle of CBF1000
« on: 19 November, 2020, 08:45:13 PM »
Hey, Guys!

I have a clunking/knocking sound when I ride. It doesnít happen when the bike is on the main stand and the wheel is turning in gear. Looks like the rear wheel bearings need replacing as there is some play but this doesnít seem to jump out at me as something that could cause such a loud knocking noise. Itís definitely not coming from the engine.

Iíve Adjusted the chain so it isnít that. I couldnít get to the front sprocket to check if thatís loose. The rear sprocket seems fine.

Itís in the garage as we speak but I just wanted to see if anyone has had a similar issue and could offer some advice?

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
Re: Knocking from rear or middle of CBF1000
« Reply #1 on: 19 November, 2020, 10:01:01 PM »
Hi,BG. If it it is rear wheel bearings it will obviously get steadily worse. When mine played up a year back I immediately checked for wear .The movement was only barely detectable then so I soldierered on. The noise & vibration worsened until the source made itself obvious! Not too difficult to do and I think the parts came in at around £53 from David Silver Spares.Ed.
« Last Edit: 19 November, 2020, 10:02:27 PM by iNCORRIGIBLE »

Offline BigGinger

• CBF Member
« Reply #2 on: 19 November, 2020, 10:03:03 PM »
The bearings will be fitted tomorrow but I have this nagging doubt that the bearings are the problem. I have no doubt they need replacing but I expected a whirring sound, not a knocking sound. Loud enough for people to hear as I drive by.

I appreciate your help! Thanks!!

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
« Reply #3 on: 22 November, 2020, 08:55:16 PM »
Hi,BG.How did it turn out with the noise problem? Ed. :002:

Offline BigGinger

• CBF Member
« Reply #4 on: 23 November, 2020, 01:09:17 PM »
Turns out it was the wheel bearings. I never knew they could so loud! Cheap fix but Iíve actually spent £800 on this bike since June, when I bought it. I donít know if itís my bad luck or...?

Hopefully things turn around from here. Canít bring myself to sell it due to how much Iíve spent and the fact I enjoy riding it.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #5 on: 23 November, 2020, 02:30:43 PM »
£800!

That'll be the cost of motorcycling which as we all know is no longer a cheap as chips form of transport. Some years back the LTDA did extensive research comparing the costs of running new vehicles vs older vehicles. They concluded the costs to be similar with new vehicles costing more but requiring less maintenance and older vehicles costing less but requiring more maintenance. Fairly sure the average 7 year old could have arrived at that same conclusion.

So how far did the £800 go I remember the stator wiring issue and now the rear wheel bearings anything else?

Offline BigGinger

• CBF Member
« Reply #6 on: 23 November, 2020, 03:33:25 PM »
New stator, new front discs, new rear disc, new pads all round, calliper rebuild on front callipers, new radiator fan and of course the wheel bearings!

Thatís what I can remember. Iíve also bought better headlights and cleaning/degreasing products. OH, and a used front tire with decent tread for £20.

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
« Reply #7 on: 23 November, 2020, 04:18:06 PM »
Glad your all sorted.     Law of Averages says you should now have a better spell  but  also see ,  Sod's Law! :087: Ed.

Offline BigGinger

• CBF Member
« Reply #8 on: 23 November, 2020, 04:19:56 PM »
Thanks for the help and all. I appreciate the time youíve given

Offline BigGinger

• CBF Member
« Reply #9 on: 24 November, 2020, 11:00:45 PM »
Me again....

Today I tried to start my bike and got a knocking sound which I suspect is the starter motor. When I tried to start the engine the starter motor made normal noise, followed by a few loud knocks and then it fired up. I turned the bike off to see if this would repeat. It didnít. It seems to be a problem only when the bike is cold.

I put the aftermarket exhausts back on after a few days with the originals exhausts, as perhaps Iíve affected to fuelling or something. Doubt it.

Any advice would be welcome.

Iíve preemptively bought a starter motor (£25 from a 22,000 mile cbf1000).