Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hi from Wiltshire  (Read 397 times)

Offline Wiltshire CBF Rider

• Bike: 2009 CBF1000
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
Hi from Wiltshire
« on: 18 November, 2020, 05:30:12 PM »
Hi All

Just saying Hi. Iím based at the southern end of the Cotswolds and have a 2009 MK1.

The forum has already been really useful in helping with research prior to purchase and further research after purchase in respect of some small changes/modifications I am making to the bike as I get it ready for some Iron Butt rides and rallies next year.

Look forward to hopefully being able to contribute to the forum.

Offline iNCORRIGIBLE

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A9
  • City / Town: Maldon
Your New CBF
« Reply #1 on: 18 November, 2020, 05:55:59 PM »
Hi,Witshire.Welcome............Snap! same bike & year. Mine is an ABS model in Quasar Silver.Had a few minor problems but have picked up a lot of tips along the way also.Great bikes for pretty well all roles.Ed. :401:

Online Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Hi from Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: 18 November, 2020, 06:34:31 PM »
 :405:

Are you an Iron Butt member? I've shelved the idea of a Fools Gold for 2021 in favour of a BBG and either a Full Monty or 4 Corners.

« Reply #3 on: 18 November, 2020, 06:44:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Art [+]
:405:

Are you an Iron Butt member? I've shelved the idea of a Fools Gold for 2021 in favour of a BBG and either a Full Monty or 4 Corners.

Just starting out on the Iron Butt journey. Iíve reduced the number of hours Iím spending on my classic bike restoration business and going into a kind of semi retirement. Iíve always wanted to do some long distance riding and should now have time to have a go.

Iím probably going to have a crack at the RBLR southern route in the spring/early summer. How that goes will dictate what I do after. Iíd also like to have a go at some scatter rallies.

Re: Your New CBF
« Reply #4 on: 18 November, 2020, 06:44:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by iNCORRIGIBLE [+]
Hi,Witshire.Welcome............Snap! same bike & year. Mine is an ABS model in Quasar Silver.Had a few minor problems but have picked up a lot of tips along the way also.Great bikes for pretty well all roles.Ed. :401:

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, they seem to be a great all round bike.

Online Art

• CBF Legend
« Reply #5 on: 18 November, 2020, 11:01:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by Wiltshire CBF Rider [+]

Iím probably going to have a crack at the RBLR southern route in the spring/early summer. How that goes will dictate what I do after. Iíd also like to have a go at some scatter rallies.

I've done all four of the RBLR routes, they're best done on the Summer Solstice with the RBLR. Its very well organised and all the routes are planned, you'll ride by yourself but never be alone. The certification is done as soon as you arrive triumphant back at Squires.

Route A north clockwise is by far the better route especially if its your first SS1000. You'll clear all the unlit roads before dark and the last 300 miles is all on well lit roads.

Route B north anticlock you can hit the unlit roads of the A82 Fort William to Glasgow after dark, not pleasant. There is the short long cut to the M8 via A85/84 bypassing Loch Lomond and Glasgow ;-)

Route C south clockwise you need to filter to make progress in the heavy traffic for 350 miles from Lowestoft to Exeter, after that you will still hit the unlit roads between Haverfordwest and Bangor after dark.

Route D south anticlock similar to route C there's 350 miles of heavy traffic from Exeter to Lowestoft but you'll have cleared all the unlit roads before dark.

« Reply #6 on: 19 November, 2020, 08:30:11 AM »
I've done all four of the RBLR routes, they're best done on the Summer Solstice with the RBLR. Its very well organised and all the routes are planned, you'll ride by yourself but never be alone. The certification is done as soon as you arrive triumphant back at Squires.

Route A north clockwise is by far the better route especially if its your first SS1000. You'll clear all the unlit roads before dark and the last 300 miles is all on well lit roads.

Route B north anticlock you can hit the unlit roads of the A82 Fort William to Glasgow after dark, not pleasant. There is the short long cut to the M8 via A85/84 bypassing Loch Lomond and Glasgow ;-)

Route C south clockwise you need to filter to make progress in the heavy traffic for 350 miles from Lowestoft to Exeter, after that you will still hit the unlit roads between Haverfordwest and Bangor after dark.

Route D south anticlock similar to route C there's 350 miles of heavy traffic from Exeter to Lowestoft but you'll have cleared all the unlit roads before dark.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I live really close to the M4 at Leigh Delamare and was considering doing the anti clockwise route and just starting at Leigh Delamare west  bound services, then jumping on the route at M5 Bristol, follow the route all the way around and then finishing at Leigh Delamare east bound services. I would probably do the route on a day other than the official RBLR day and just send the required documentation in for certification.

Realise itís easier from a certification perspective to just do the ride on the day starting from Squires, but that would mean adding the ride to and from Squires cafe and probably a couple of nights accommodation. Family commitments also mean its easier for me to do this type of ride mid week, rather than at the weekend. (The official RBLR ride would mean being away from home for at least 3 days - Fri to Sun evening inclusive)

I may just do a simple run up to Inverness and back as my first SS1000, which would be largely all motorway and relatively simple navigation. Iím still working my way through all of the possibilities for rides and associated logistics, so any advice gratefully received 👍

Online Art

• CBF Legend
« Reply #7 on: 19 November, 2020, 11:59:35 AM »
The advice for planning your own IBA SS1000 route is to build in some buffer mileage of say 25 to 50 miles over the 1,000 miles to be sure, to be sure. When rides are verified they check the shortest distance between your checkpoints. That said you can get rides pre-verified by emailing the route to  verifications@ironbutt.co.uk  Go mid June for the longer daylight hours, leave at 5am early doors, take your time no need to speed and maybe get back before dark or just after. Around 18 to 20 hours is a more realistic target.

If you haven't already check the  IBA UK's New Riders page  all the advice you need is there.

M4 Leigh Delamere Services to Inverness (Tesco Extra, Inshes Retail Park, Inverness IV2 3TW) and back looks plenty at 1,075 miles and mostly (boring) motorway. I'd prefer the RBLR 1000 route C clockwise from and to Leigh Delamere taking on the A487 in daylight between Haverfordwest and Bangor.

If you do decide on the Inverness return route and use the Inshes Retail Park as a fuel stop be careful, the slip off the A9 comes up pretty quick and can be a proper slip off as I discovered on the 2014 RBLR 1000. The slip was strewn with gravel which I slid across, hitting the kerb broadside and highsiding onto the verge! Schoolboy error on my part, the bike survived with a scratch or two and I finished the ride in 23:38 with 22 minutes to spare and a broken left thumb I didn't realise I had until the finish.

Happy Days all the same

« Reply #8 on: 20 November, 2020, 10:22:45 AM »
The advice for planning your own IBA SS1000 route is to build in some buffer mileage of say 25 to 50 miles over the 1,000 miles to be sure, to be sure. When rides are verified they check the shortest distance between your checkpoints. That said you can get rides pre-verified by emailing the route to  verifications@ironbutt.co.uk  Go mid June for the longer daylight hours, leave at 5am early doors, take your time no need to speed and maybe get back before dark or just after. Around 18 to 20 hours is a more realistic target.

If you haven't already check the  IBA UK's New Riders page  all the advice you need is there.

M4 Leigh Delamere Services to Inverness (Tesco Extra, Inshes Retail Park, Inverness IV2 3TW) and back looks plenty at 1,075 miles and mostly (boring) motorway. I'd prefer the RBLR 1000 route C clockwise from and to Leigh Delamere taking on the A487 in daylight between Haverfordwest and Bangor.

If you do decide on the Inverness return route and use the Inshes Retail Park as a fuel stop be careful, the slip off the A9 comes up pretty quick and can be a proper slip off as I discovered on the 2014 RBLR 1000. The slip was strewn with gravel which I slid across, hitting the kerb broadside and highsiding onto the verge! Schoolboy error on my part, the bike survived with a scratch or two and I finished the ride in 23:38 with 22 minutes to spare and a broken left thumb I didn't realise I had until the finish.

Happy Days all the same

Hi Art

yes that makes sense riding clockwise on route C. I've been looking plotting route c in MyRoute-app and have started to break it down into three, possibly four separate routes that I will use as training rides to familiarise myself with the route and navigation. The South West end of the route isn't to much of a problem as I originally come from Cornwall and I'm pretty familiar with that section of the route.

Sunrise on the dates closest to the longest day next ear is around 4:20am, so I was planning on being ready to roll from Leigh Delamare around 4:30am. I've been reading most of the content on the Iron Butt UK web site and have also joined both UK and American Iron Butt Facebook groups to use them as a way of absorbing information and other riders experience.

The Inverness return route is an option that I might keep in mind due to its much simpler navigation, but the ride itself would be pretty boring. A trip up into Scotland might be better kept for a 1500 mile run.

A slightly off topic question; Have you ever run any form of additional lighting on your CBF?

Online Art

• CBF Legend
« Reply #9 on: 20 November, 2020, 04:34:16 PM »
I found the stock 12v 55W H7 dipped beam halogen bulb to be useless. I've upgraded the dipped beam to a HID by way of a cheap as chips eBay deal. The only downside was I had to fit an off/on switch for the headlamp because occasionally after cranking the starter motor the ballast would cut out due to low voltage and then take hours before it would re-set. The ballast needs to be spliced into the headlamp wiring so fitting the switch isn't too much extra work. While I was there I fitted a pair of CREE U5 LED DRL's, they came with their own switch. Now 5 years on and its all still doing what it does and what it does is light the way ahead. Similar to these, ignore that the HID kit is for Yamaha its an H7 bulb and an H7 bulb is an H7 bulb.

Links

H7 HID Conversion

CREE U5 LED DRL's

diverse-leafy