Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: British motorcycle racing, Ron Haslam and the Biffer.  (Read 434 times)

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000 SC58 MK1
  • City / Town: Manchester
British motorcycle racing, Ron Haslam and the Biffer.
« on: 08 November, 2020, 01:29:24 AM »
Sad to see that Ron Haslam has stopped with his training school. I was looking forward to having a couple of lessons on a ‘blade’. Read on this forum that the instructors used to use Biffers. Long live the Biffer.
Soichiro Honda, I salute you.

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Re: British motorcycle racing, Ron Haslam and the Biffer.
« Reply #1 on: 09 November, 2020, 04:07:22 PM »
They were 600RRs and Blades when I was there, not quite a biffer.
(And something for the youngsters but I can't remember what).
Ron was a Honda man so who knows what else he'd blagged!

Hard work but Ron and his Mrs did a really good job.  I think this autumn was to be there last season but I don't know how they got on with all the covid lockdowns etc.  (They may not have even run this summer at all).

I wouldn't be surprised to find someone else taking it over - it was a big operation.  So it may still be at donny next year (who knows).  Whether it is as good (or even better) ...
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000 SC58 MK1
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #2 on: 09 November, 2020, 08:20:54 PM »
He cancelled all lessons from March and had a few in October before he closed. It was on the itinerary for 2020, including a RoSPA advanced motorcycle course and a trip to Normandy. The rest is history.

All the bikes they used were Honda’s: CB125’s, CBR650r’s and Fireblades, all in red, apart from the 125’s in white. There’s some photos on their Twitter account showing all the bikes lined up. I counted about twenty Fireblades!

Certainly a big operation that’s well worth someone taking over and carrying on with. Honda have obviously put their trust in him by supplying the bikes (Honda also sponsor the British Talent Cup), but it will be hard to find someone to match the calibre of Ron Haslam.

I was going to use the Biffer to get to the track, not race around it. There’s a few threads on the forum mentioning instructors using Biffers. Depends on your ability I suppose, Ron would thrash me on a Goldwing.
« Last Edit: 09 November, 2020, 09:08:02 PM by Crispy »
Soichiro Honda, I salute you.

Offline timbig

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000TA
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #3 on: 10 November, 2020, 06:26:22 PM »
My claim to fame is overtaking Ron Haslam once.

I know it was him it said so on the side of the van!

Offline FLIZ

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: 10 November, 2020, 06:58:35 PM »
 :mfrlol:

diverse-leafy