Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Optimizer  (Read 975 times)

Offline Bluefox

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000
  • City / Town: Leicestershire
Optimizer
« on: 25 October, 2020, 10:47:03 AM »
Hi just a quickie,have any of you guys (And Gals) ever ran an optimizer to keep your battery topped up from a solar panel?Is it effective?Thanks in advance,
« Last Edit: 25 October, 2020, 10:47:56 AM by Bluefox »

Online Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Optimizer
« Reply #1 on: 25 October, 2020, 01:53:59 PM »
It will depend on the condition of the battery. A good 8.6 Ah battery on a factory specification SC58 shouldn't need a battery optimiser because the typical standby current is typically around 0.1mA once the HISS has shut down. When I smashed my hand and was unable to ride mine sat in the garage abandoned and unattended for 8 months. The battery still had a 12.2v level of charge which proved to be enough to crank the engine into life.

Offline Bluefox

• CBF Member
« Reply #2 on: 25 October, 2020, 03:07:25 PM »
When I bought it a year ago the dealer said they had just fitted a new battery, just got back from a 3 week holiday and was a job to start. Always started first time before, its a mk2 first registered in 2017 and kept garaged.

Online Art

• CBF Legend
« Reply #3 on: 25 October, 2020, 04:19:39 PM »
The SC64's aren't so good with their battery as the SC58's and of course there are batteries and there are batteries. Mostly dealers will fit a new battery because the motorcycle has been left standing in the showroom for too long. They will mostly but not always fit the cheapest battery they can get away with too, if it gets past the warranty period that's all they're interested in.

It may be you need to keep it on a battery optimiser or the battery may be under specification or faulty. As an example the correct battery for the CBF is a 8.6 Ah (10HR) 190 CCA battery which if stored on a shelf from fully charged can take as long as six months to discharge down to 12.5v which is still very usable. How a battery could completely discharge in three weeks doesn't seem possible but many before you have had similar experiences with batteries on SC64's, whether that's due to the battery, addition accessories or the SC64 is unclear.

The problem with solar panel trickle charging is the solar panels produce DC voltage, have no overcharge protection and a battery optimiser requires a 230v AC input. The Off Grid folk get their off grid power from solar panels plus a controller and a leisure battery which gives them their DC voltage which they run through an inverter to get 230V. Its not a cheap set up.

Offline Bluefox

• CBF Member
« Reply #4 on: 25 October, 2020, 04:50:26 PM »
I think it'll be the new battery route, but I've done 300 miles over the last 4 days and since the initial run it's started perfectly

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Barnsley
« Reply #5 on: 25 October, 2020, 05:47:06 PM »
run the bike every two weeks :012:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS

Offline Bluefox

• CBF Member
« Reply #6 on: 25 October, 2020, 05:51:00 PM »
I run it 3 days a week 52 weeks a year unless I'm away.

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000 SC58 MK1
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #7 on: 25 October, 2020, 06:49:50 PM »
There seems to be a few threads recently about starting issues after fitting a new battery. I guess there’s some cheap batteries out there being made with inferior components. Mine’s a Motobatt and has performed really well. It was fitted before I bought it and looks new, at least two years old.

A 1000cc is a fair lump to turn over, I always do at least 7 miles after starting to make sure the battery has been charged up properly.

:264:
Soichiro Honda, I salute you.

Online Art

• CBF Legend
« Reply #8 on: 26 October, 2020, 04:01:44 AM »
If you're doing less than 20 mile rides you should be giving the battery a full charge every 6 months to keep it in top condition. How many of us do that, how many of us even know how to fully charge a battery?
« Last Edit: 26 October, 2020, 04:03:51 AM by Art »

Offline Bluefox

• CBF Member
« Reply #9 on: 26 October, 2020, 07:11:10 AM »
Most of my trips Art would be 35 to 40 miles, but I have to hold my hands up and admit that with all the bikes I've had  Ive never charged the battery every 3 months.