Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: To SORN or not to SORN - That is the Question  (Read 924 times)

Offline Brit182

• CBF God
  • Bike: 2012 CBF1000FAC
  • City / Town: West London
To SORN or not to SORN - That is the Question
« on: 15 October, 2020, 04:53:01 PM »
Well I have never done it in fifty years but having insured the Biffa so as to guard against possible off road eventualities (getting nicked, fire or damage in the garage etc) I'm thinking how much do I actually ride between November and March?

Up until retirement at the start of 2012 it wasn't a consideration, snow was the only reason for not being in the saddle, during the working week at any rate. However, over the last few years I've been wondering if 12months Road Tax wasn't just a habit I've not got out of!

Question now, is the chance of the odd bright day on dry roads, worth the £40.00 I'll pay for it standing idle, virtually all the time and will I be kicking myself when one turns up? Not to mention Covid and all that entails, regarding being out and about anyway.
« Last Edit: 15 October, 2020, 04:54:53 PM by Brit182 »

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: To SORN or not to SORN - That is the Question
« Reply #1 on: 16 October, 2020, 06:56:15 AM »
I ride all year round (not in snow obviously) so I'm going to be biased and say tax it for the full 12 months. Even in a harsh winter I'll be riding 10 months of the year. Then again if you're only riding for 6 consecutive months trim your costs of motorcycling accordingly.

Just got my Vehicle Tax Reminder and another unexpected rise and we haven't been using the roads so much for the past 6 months. Whoops, what's that got to do with it? I forgot the Road Fund Licence was re-invented as Vehicle tax some time back. Anyway they're now robbing us in broad day light for £51.15 for 6 months and £93 for 12 months. I really don't understand how these costs are calculated especially when the £30 for 12 months Vehicle Tax for my car has been the same year after year for over a decade now. Maybe they forgot to revise the dirty little diesel class!

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000 SC58 MK1
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #2 on: 17 October, 2020, 12:21:40 PM »
Good idea worth doing, but I bet you have to jump through hoops to do it. They think of everything.

A day without learning is a day wasted

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Barnsley
« Reply #3 on: 18 October, 2020, 08:22:18 PM »
which 6 months would you choose?

March through August
April through September
June through October
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #4 on: 20 October, 2020, 12:12:54 AM »
No need to choose any months in particular.

Just SORN it when you want to (month end is useful) and tax afresh again when you want to next year.  Easy as and they even send you a refund cheque (albeit that needs banking) in the post.

Being insured and hacing a current MOT ahead of next tax period helps thoroughly. 
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Steelworker

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: 2009 1000ABS
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #5 on: 20 October, 2020, 04:50:25 PM »
So I've just been on the DVLA website to donate £93.00 to go into some administrative black hole to fund who knows what!
I found that having a few beers prior to this action does help your finger not to linger to long with the mouse when hovering over the "pay now" tab.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #6 on: 20 October, 2020, 06:18:12 PM »
Two of mine expire on the 31st October and I wont be parting with a single penny hard earned until 1st November

Offline moayling

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2015 MK 2 CBF
  • City / Town: Seaton. Devon.
« Reply #7 on: 20 October, 2020, 07:06:29 PM »
Always keep mine taxed as they get used all year

Offline Kentcolin

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000GT
  • City / Town: Rochester
« Reply #8 on: 21 October, 2020, 08:32:17 AM »
Me too, I keep it taxed just in case . If the car was out of action for whatever reason I could still get to where I needed to be.

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #9 on: 21 October, 2020, 11:05:55 AM »
KentColin

I only ride for pleasure and sadly over this year, due to catching Covid-19, plus looking after my wife who needed a week in hospital on oxygen, plus intravenous antibiotics, as it is taking time to recover her breathing, (But we feel blessed as I'm in my 80s and she had her 80th last week and we have both got through it!) every time I can get out for a ride is special.

So far as I am concerned, even if I get out two or three times over the winter on one of those crisp sunny days, stop somewhere for a bacon role with a large mug of steaming tea, (preferably outside sitting with other bikers) it is easily worth £20 a ride!

As you have retired, what are you going to do just looking at a sad looking bike eager to get out to play? Don't be cruel!

I presume you are somewhere in Kent, think of it, more room on your roads, and let's face it it is warmer in Kent than it is around the Borders where I ride!

You know it makes sense..... :300:

Rev Ken
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.