Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New from Peterborough, Canada  (Read 629 times)

Offline stationzebra

• CBF Member
  • Bike: 2012 CBF1000FA
  • City / Town: Peterborough
New from Peterborough, Canada
« on: 13 October, 2020, 05:21:54 PM »
Thanks for the add. Just purchased a 2012 CBF1000FA and really enjoying it coming off a 2008 FJR which I have owned from new and still own. Going to have to change the biffer's seat though...its the worst I've ever sat on in 45+years of riding. Also, something I can't figure out...the biffer came with three different branded windshields and all of them have extensive radial cracks around the mounting holes, including a couple of lateral cracks right out to the edge. I noticed the mechanism for adjusting the windshield is extremely stiff and wondering if PO just 'manhandling' different positions caused the cracks or, more simply, just way over tightened the screws. Any thoughts would be appreciated before I tear into that windshield mechanism.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: New from Peterborough, Canada
« Reply #1 on: 13 October, 2020, 05:58:36 PM »
 :405:

*Originally Posted by stationzebra [+]
...three different branded windshields and all of them have extensive radial cracks around the mounting holes, including a couple of lateral cracks right out to the edge.

All three screens, some folk shouldn't be allowed spanners!

Can't complain about the seat on my 2006 SC58, done a couple of IBA SS1000's on it and a couple of 800+ miler weekends, maybe I just have an Iron Butt.

Offline knapdog

• CBF Master
  • '17 mk2, '18 Enfield Classic 500, '95 Honda C90,
  • City / Town: Barry, Vale of G
« Reply #2 on: 13 October, 2020, 08:01:44 PM »
Going to have to change the biffer's seat though...its the worst I've ever sat on in 45+years of riding.

Can't understand that. I've had a load of bikes with comfy seats, most recently a1200RT and the super comfy cb1300 and the cbf1000 mk2 seat is right up there with the best, in my opinion.
Stay between the hedges!

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000 SC58 MK1
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #3 on: 15 October, 2020, 04:09:18 PM »
I found the same with my screen after i bought it, not cracked but dented. People think itíll keep tightening till it stops. You just have to find the right level, probably stop when it just starts to bend a little, and remember how the spacers go back on. The screen is also adjustable to high and low.
Soichiro Honda, I salute you.

Offline stationzebra

• CBF Member
« Reply #4 on: 15 October, 2020, 04:46:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Crispy [+]
I found the same with my screen after i bought it, not cracked but dented. People think itíll keep tightening till it stops. You just have to find the right level, probably stop when it just starts to bend a little, and remember how the spacers go back on. The screen is also adjustable to high and low.
Thanks, I'm thinking now that I might be missing these spacers you reference....I've looked at the parts fiche and it seems like I have everything. I'll look again. The guy I bought it from had cut up some old inner tube and stuck it between the mounting bracket and the windshield which makes me suspicious that I am missing something.

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
« Reply #5 on: 15 October, 2020, 05:35:50 PM »
Thatís what it is on a MK1 SC58. The MK2 SC64 has a different windscreen and cowl. It can be confusing because the MK1 SC58 continued to be produced when they introduced the MK2 SC64, overlapping eachother.

Is yours a MK1 or 2?

MK1 diagram

MK2 diagram

The diagrams are from Fowlers parts UK (apart from the red one) You can find the part numbers there.

« Last Edit: 15 October, 2020, 05:37:37 PM by Crispy »

Offline stationzebra

• CBF Member
« Reply #6 on: 15 October, 2020, 07:23:26 PM »
Thatís what it is on a MK1 SC58. The MK2 SC64 has a different windscreen and cowl. It can be confusing because the MK1 SC58 continued to be produced when they introduced the MK2 SC64, overlapping eachother.

Is yours a MK1 or 2?

MK2 diagram

The diagrams are from Fowlers parts UK (apart from the red one) You can find the part numbers there.

Many thanks. Its a MK2 (2012). The diagram checks out that I have everything so I'm going to assume the damage to the screens was a combination of over torquing the mounting screws and wrestling with the very stiff adjusting mechanism (especially the left side) when changing windscreen positions. A winter project will be to remove the front fairing and cleanup/adjust whatever is causing it to bind so much. And thanks as well for the link to fowlers in Bristol for parts. I have a friend in Taunton who would be able to help me get any parts I need down the road.

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
« Reply #7 on: 15 October, 2020, 08:02:27 PM »
I suspect the cut-up inner tube was put there to stop a vibration noise, unbearable on a bike. It also looks like the previous owner went through a stressful time trying to fix it given he cracked three screens.

:232:

Fowlers is also good for part numbers, theyíre generic and work in the States and Canada as well as Europe, not sure about Japan. You can put the number into eBay and sometimes find one second hand in good condition.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #8 on: 16 October, 2020, 03:41:35 AM »
...People think itíll keep tightening till it stops...

...I'm going to assume the damage to the screens was a combination of over torquing the mounting screws...

Some folk shouldn't be allowed spanners, if that's a M6 (6mm) screw it only needs a nip to around 10 Nm  :028:

:211:
As useful as the parts fiche can be Section 2 (Frame/Body panels etc) page 16 of the Workshop Manual gives a better idea of the parts and fitting of the screen, if you haven't already you can download the Honda Workshop and Owners Manuals here.