Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Coolant Issues  (Read 856 times)

Online Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Coolant Issues
« Reply #10 on: 09 October, 2020, 01:09:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by Gerry8888 [+]
Hi everybody, I have recently purchased a 2006 Honda CBF1000, I was in the process of washing it today and the coolant in the bottle started to bubble up and heat up, also it started leaking through a hose on the bottom of the engine.
Would anybody have any idea why this happened or if it is normal?
If not what can i do to fix it?
Thank you

Normal because I'm thinking its a wind up, how is it this can can happen when washing it?

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #11 on: 09 October, 2020, 07:44:39 AM »
I'm thinking the washing it at the time is sheer coincidence. Coolant bubbling up at wash time (or any other time) isn't normal.
Also, his later post, reply #4 refers to the reservoir as "boiling away like a kettle".

Definitely not normal.

Gerry8888, is this bike from a shop? Warranty? Take it back.
Or is it a private buy?

(Also, further to what I wrote earlier, just note it is also possible to have a head gasket failure without any cross-contamination in the oil/water being blatantly evident, but hopefully we aren't needing to go down that route!).
« Last Edit: 09 October, 2020, 08:45:04 AM by Shed »

Offline Gerry8888

• Bike: 06 Honda CBF1000
« Reply #12 on: 09 October, 2020, 09:29:17 AM »
Ok i will check it out when i get home after lunch, the bike was purchased privately, it only has 26,000 kms on it!
With low mileage could it still be a cause for the head gasket/cracked head to happen? I really hope it is nothing serious or expensive

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #13 on: 09 October, 2020, 10:18:16 AM »
Low mileage doesn't necessarily no problems. Depends how it's been maintained, and regardless, mechanical things fail - with or without human intervention  :127:

But before going down the road of doom & gloom, check out the stuff mentioned earlier and we can take it from there.  :028:

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #14 on: 11 October, 2020, 02:33:49 PM »
My first check there would be the radiator cap - is it on properly and is it working (both pressurising and releasing).

If it is truly boiling then you've no pressure in the cooling system (or so hot you've exceeded everything).
If it is air bubling through (the exp tank fills from the bottom) you may just be low on coolant (the bottom hose leak?) - but you can check this against the level marks on the exp. tank (mine has both hot and cold levels but it is usual to check cold - the minimum required)
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Jimav

• Bike: CBF1000/06
  • City / Town: Athens
« Reply #15 on: 12 October, 2020, 03:04:03 PM »
I believe the same. If the spring of the radiator cap is loose, the the coolant will go to the plastic box even with low temp.
Plastic box never boils.

Offline Gerry8888

• Bike: 06 Honda CBF1000
« Reply #16 on: 16 October, 2020, 08:55:47 PM »
Thanks for all your help guys, we took the bike apart and checked through a few options ye mentioned. It turns out the thermostat isn't working at all.
I have ordered a new one so waiting for that too arrive, so hopefully when we put it back together it will run as normal, i will keep ye updated.
Thanks again

diverse-leafy