Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Coolant Issues  (Read 913 times)

Offline Gerry8888

• Bike: 06 Honda CBF1000
Coolant Issues
« on: 08 October, 2020, 06:17:11 PM »
Hi everybody, I have recently purchased a 2006 Honda CBF1000, I was in the process of washing it today and the coolant in the bottle started to bubble up and heat up, also it started leaking through a hose on the bottom of the engine.
Would anybody have any idea why this happened or if it is normal?
If not what can i do to fix it?
Thank you
« Last Edit: 08 October, 2020, 06:18:15 PM by Gerry8888 »

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Coolant Issues
« Reply #1 on: 08 October, 2020, 07:16:34 PM »
Normal, check the coolant level when cold and don't leave the engine idling unnecessarily.

Offline Gerry8888

« Reply #2 on: 08 October, 2020, 09:01:26 PM »
Would that mean the coolant level is low? Also i brought it off for a 10 minute drive when i was finished washing it and the fan stayed on for entire time, is that normal aswell?

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000 SC58 MK1
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #3 on: 08 October, 2020, 09:30:16 PM »
Boiling in the bottle, do you mean the white coolant reservoir underneath the seat?

My fan always comes on when I park up before opening the garage, itís probably because when youíre riding, the wind will air-cool the radiator and engine, to a degree. When you stop thereís no air cooling. How long did your fan stay on for? I would guess that longer than three minutes in autumn temperatures is too long.

Check in the morning for any leaks under the bike, remembering that being caught in rain or washing your bike will/can leave a puddle if it isnít dried properly.

A day without learning is a day wasted

Offline Gerry8888

« Reply #4 on: 08 October, 2020, 09:39:44 PM »
Yeah Crispy the white bottle under the seat, it was boiling away like a kettle!
I went for a 10 minute spin just around the block and the fan stayed on from when i left until i came back, and when i came back there was a small couple of drops coming out of the pipe on the bottom of the engine.
I only just bought the bike on Tuesday and never had this problem with any of my previous bikes.

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
« Reply #5 on: 08 October, 2020, 10:11:18 PM »
My reservoir never boils, and doubt it ever should, all the time, if itís made of plastic. Iíd say itís definitely overheating, maybe because the coolant isnít circulating. The thermostat is stuck shut?

Offline Gerry8888

« Reply #6 on: 08 October, 2020, 10:15:35 PM »
Oh right ok how would i go about checking that out? Is it safe to drive at the moment if i top it up with coolant?

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
« Reply #7 on: 08 October, 2020, 10:25:57 PM »
I wouldnít ride it if itís overheating. Use the search box on the forum and read the informative threads. The thermostat is on the right side under the tank. There will be a coolant pipe coming out of the thermostat towards the front wheel. If the pipe stays cold when the fan kicks in, the thermostat isnít working.

Offline Gerry8888

« Reply #8 on: 08 October, 2020, 10:30:19 PM »
Ok i will check that out in the morning thanks very much for your help i appreciate it

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #9 on: 08 October, 2020, 11:27:50 PM »
No way is this normal, and in no way should your reservoir be 'boiling' or 'bubbling'. Ever.
Don't ride it out & about til you've sussed this out. Worst case, engine could be severely damaged if you continue riding it while its cooking itself into oblivion.

There's multiple reasons it could be, and plenty to check out. A few pointers...

Worst case scenario here is a blown head gasket/cracked head. If coolant leaks into one, or more, cylinders in the engine, the coolant will just be burned off, therefore you don't see any leaks or coolant on the ground as it's actually leaking internally. Or you can have combustion gasses being blown through a dodgy gasket into the water jacket of the engine, which then travel along to the reservoir, and this is what you are seeing as 'boiling' in the reservoir.

Check the oil. Any milky white oil on the dipstick/in the window?

But lets get the cheap & easy stuff checked first.  :028:

Take radiator cap off (when cold) - is the cap seal itself ok? Is the rubber seal ok? Does mechanism work? i.e. spring up & down? If the cap seal is knackered then excess pressure that would normally escape via here can't, so it finds another route out.

Does it have the correct amount of coolant in the system? Not enough? Is it definitely coolant you have in there? Coolant ratio correct? Is it 50/50 mix or thereabouts? If it's just water, or far too much water & not enough coolant, then the engine is easily going to overheat, hence it's actually steam bubbling its way along into the reservoir.

Check your coolant. Does the coolant look old/new/contaminated? Has the cooling system been filled properly?
Who put the coolant in? Mr Mechanic, or Mr Bean?
Do the hoses either side of the thermostat warm up? Check hoses for leaks. Check hoses for air locks.
Radiator clogged? Hose/s clogged? Is the water pump working? Check the thermostat. Stuck closed?

Fix your leaky hose. Is it definitely the hose, and not the water pump/seal itself?

Use this link, and us on the forum, to help you investigate:

https://bob.ollis-brown.co.uk/manuals/cbf1000/2006-2008-CBF1000-A-7%20COOLING%20SYSTEM.pdf

« Last Edit: 09 October, 2020, 12:27:08 AM by Shed »