Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hi! Potential new owner here!  (Read 447 times)

Offline rjt_honda

• City / Town: Spalding
Hi! Potential new owner here!
« on: 04 October, 2020, 02:13:09 PM »
Hi, am looking into buying a CBF1000!  Found what appears to be a good one!  Is a 2013 model BUT i am really confused.  The pictures look great BUT when I googled it for reviews i get a totally different looking bike (on MCN for example) MCN show pics on a model from 2010 onwards that has a different fairing and dash to the one I see?  Are there two models?  A model F (digi dash) and a model A with a more standard dash and older styled fairing?  Appreciate any advice and sorry if a stupid question!  Thanks

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000 SC58 MK1
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: Hi! Potential new owner here!
« Reply #1 on: 04 October, 2020, 03:06:41 PM »
 :400:

:600:

Yes there are two models, the Mk1 is 06 to 10. The one youíre after is a Mk2.
A day without learning is a day wasted

Offline rjt_honda

« Reply #2 on: 04 October, 2020, 03:08:40 PM »
But this is the strange thing, the bike is from 2013 for sure, but doesnt have the digi dash or the droplet fairing either?  Have seen some on ebay, also from 2013 and see here also two different models in 2013.   I saw on MCN the new model was introduced in 2010, and this is what i couldnt understand why this one looks like the old model ????

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000 SC58 MK1
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #3 on: 04 October, 2020, 03:12:04 PM »
Iím quite certain the Mk1 has two exhausts and the Mk2 one exhaust. Sorry but Iím only familiar with the Mk1.
A day without learning is a day wasted

Offline rjt_honda

« Reply #4 on: 04 October, 2020, 03:20:31 PM »
Definitely has two exhausts

Just dont get if it is from 2013 and the mark 1 was only made until 2010?

Cant imagine only registered three years after manufacturing??

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #5 on: 04 October, 2020, 03:25:34 PM »
Nothing strange in that the SC58 (MKI) was produced from 2006 through to 2012 and the SC64 (MKII) was produced from 2010 through to 2013.

What are the first 9 digits of the VIN number?

If they are ZDCSC58B0 then what you have there is the earlier SC58 or MKI as some have re-invented it as. The 10th digit will reveal the year of manufacture where 6, 7, 8, or 9 indicate 2006, 2007, 2008 or 2009 and A, B, or C indicate 2010, 2011 or 2012.

Offline rjt_honda

« Reply #6 on: 04 October, 2020, 03:30:18 PM »
Will need to ask current owner as havenít bought it yet!  Are the mark ones just as good and reliable? Looks in pretty good condition.  I know it has approx 21k on the clock, the last official service receipt was at 12k.  The owner now (took it as a part ex) says the fluids and oil look good so maybe some home servicing, but of course, for piece of mind, I would need a service.  What can I expect to pay for this service considering when the last one was done and what mileage it has now? Would probably look for an independent garage to service rather than a main dealer - any thoughts? Just need to work out what it is gonna cost me and how to reflect in the price....

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #7 on: 04 October, 2020, 03:45:33 PM »
The cost is the cost of motoring whether that be on two wheels, three wheels, four wheels or more. Sooner or later they all need servicing and the servicing costs are proportionate to the service schedule.

A big bonus in owning a CBF1000 is the ease in which it can be serviced and maintained at home by the home mechanic without the need of any special tools or diagnostic equipment. You can download the Honda Workshop and Owners Manuals here or just  SECTION 4 MAINTENANCE here and have a leisurely read.

edit: Regardless of what the engine oil looks like having covered 9,000 miles it will be well past best. Since the engine has been neglected its probably safe to assume other fluids and service items have too and you should factor in a full on 16,000 mile service in the purchase.
« Last Edit: 04 October, 2020, 03:49:55 PM by Art »

Offline rjt_honda

« Reply #8 on: 04 October, 2020, 03:51:15 PM »
Am a bit of a mechanical numpty hence me wanting to take it somewhere....  thatís why I was interested in knowing the costs.  Will certainly need doing, just not sure what we be needed with 22k on the clock and 10k since previous service

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Barnsley
« Reply #9 on: 04 October, 2020, 04:59:16 PM »
I would advise everyone to do home service on older bikes - if you pay someone local to show you how to do it you'll save a small fortune over time.  There is something very satisfying knowing that you yourself are keeping the bike at a certain level of repair
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS

diverse-leafy