Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cleaning top of mk2 downpipes  (Read 630 times)

Offline knapdog

• CBF Master
  • '17 mk2, '18 Enfield Classic 500, '95 Honda C90,
  • City / Town: Barry, Vale of G
Cleaning top of mk2 downpipes
« on: 03 October, 2020, 10:14:56 PM »
I don't think the previous owner of my biffer spent much time cleaning the downpipes.
I've now got them looking pretty good but there's still the problem of accessing the top part behind the radiator.
Since I'm thinking of changing the coolant I might as well remove the radiator to get at the headers.
I can feel that there's already a bit of coating of rust on the hidden parts of the pipes.
I might even remove the whole system and get the drill and polishing compound out.
I've noticed that the copper exhaust gaskets are around £3 each but I don't have much choice on that score.
Could anyone give me their experiences on removing radiator and exhaust please?
« Last Edit: 03 October, 2020, 10:15:56 PM by knapdog »
Stay between the hedges!

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Cleaning top of mk2 downpipes
« Reply #1 on: 04 October, 2020, 01:46:41 AM »
I'd not remove the exhaust pipe unless I really had to because of the risk of shearing one or more of the studs.

If you do remove the radiator you'll be able to drain more coolant but its still of benefit to flush the system a couple of times before re-filling. Tie a piece of cord to the radiator fan cable to assist re-routing it. Clean and straighten the radiator fins while you've got it off. Wire brush and Hammerite the radiator fan motor and bracket, re-fit the bolts with a smear of copper grease to the threads and apply a smear of red rubber grease to the radiator mount rubber grommets. Last but not least have a clean and close up inspection of all the cooling system hoses.

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000 SC58 MK1
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #2 on: 04 October, 2020, 12:58:01 PM »
I fitted a new radiator a few weeks ago, got a aluminium one from China for £200 delivered. It’s very good and has improved the cooling much better than stock (£500 OEM). The fan kicks in less even with the radiator cover on. Seller on eBay is called xarrow-uk and it was delivered in 3 days.

You’ll need to take of the front fairings and raise the tank. Best flushing the system with dedicated coolant system cleaner, the trickiest bit is draining the reservoir, you’ll need to take the battery out. Use a new washer for the drain plug. You can get the last bits of coolant out by leaning the bike to the left a little with the side stand up.

Bring a mop, it gets messy.

You’ll probably find when the radiator is off (can be fidgety when taking care not to damage the fins, they’re very fragile) that the link bar between the frame behind the radiator is badly rusted. This should be rubbed down and painted whilst you’re there.

The bracket holding the fan in place will also be badly rusted. I had to remove it, and two of the bolt heads sheared off, the force of the turn will bend the bracket as it’s very thin. If you want to clean and paint it be careful and don’t forget those easily bent radiator fins! Straightening them out is no easy task.

For the downpipes I gave them a good rub (and also cleaned the front of the engine and oil pump) with wire wool, then soaked them in ACF50 and left it for a week. It’s a good idea to give your headers some serious attention as Honda no longer supply OEM downpipes, you’ll have to buy second hand. They look great now.

Again refitting can be tricky whilst watching them fins, as above use some grease to ease the rubber mountings in. If the rubbers are in bad condition they need to be replaced, you have to squeeze them through the hole.

A day without learning is a day wasted

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
« Reply #3 on: 04 October, 2020, 02:09:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by Crispy [+]
...and also cleaned the front of the engine and oil pump)...

Do you mean the oil cooler?

Here's an excellent artical on SC58 CBF 1000 coolant replacement

Just like the fan motor cable attach a piece of cord to the expansion tank syphon tube when you disconnect it to assist in re-routing. Note the comment on filling too. The filling and air bleeding procedure given in the Honda Shop Manual for the CBF is incomplete, as it does not mention that you have to introduce the coolant not only into the radiator reserve tank, but also into the system at the thermostat housing under the tank.

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
« Reply #4 on: 04 October, 2020, 02:40:04 PM »
Apologies, just realised knapdog’s bike is a mk2, mine’s a Mk1. I’m not too sure if the frame, exhaust and cooling system are the same?

:005:

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
« Reply #5 on: 04 October, 2020, 03:04:56 PM »
Well spotted a SC64 (MkII) it is but it is still fitted with the same SC57 engine as the SC58 (MKI) and the procedures are virtually the same. The circular cannister protruding in front of the engine with two coolant hoses connected to it is the oil cooler. The oil pump is in the sump.
« Last Edit: 04 October, 2020, 03:08:41 PM by Art »

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
« Reply #6 on: 04 October, 2020, 09:13:02 PM »
Plus 1 for that article, Art. That’s the best way to do it.

Had to rush off for Sunday Lunch so got my coolers mixed up with my pumps. You’re right, that cylinder cools the oil.

I cleaned the coolant system by first flushing, then adding coolant cleaner and running the engine, then flushing again. Well worth doing on aluminium engine.

I used empty 500ml fairy liquid Bottle to refill as it was thin enough to fit through the gap and I could use it to measure the roughly 3 litres it takes to fill.

Getting the hoses back on requires a bit of muscle power, can be really hard work, but made easier by warming them up with warm water.

Cheers.

Offline knapdog

• CBF Master
  • '17 mk2, '18 Enfield Classic 500, '95 Honda C90,
  • City / Town: Barry, Vale of G
« Reply #7 on: 07 October, 2020, 09:46:16 PM »
Coolant now flushed out and radiator removed.
Some flaking paint discovered on front of engine and superficial rust in places.
Downpipes now fully cleaned then masked off for four or five flash coats of Matt Hammerite on engine front.
Very pleased with the results.
Will allow paint to cure overnight and refit radiator and refill with coolant tomorrow.
If you look at the downward pointing bracket where the bottom of the radiator is attached, you can clearly see how much of the downpipes are hidden and inaccessible to clean...

« Last Edit: 07 October, 2020, 09:49:43 PM by knapdog »
Stay between the hedges!

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
« Reply #8 on: 08 October, 2020, 04:23:24 AM »
Good job, the test will be in keeping it that way.

No studs were harmed in this process  :028:

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
« Reply #9 on: 08 October, 2020, 10:18:15 PM »
Looks like the link bar/hangar comp is removable and replaceable on a MK2. They’re one to watch for rust on a MK1.

diverse-leafy