Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: How to fix buzzing mirrors?  (Read 594 times)

Offline Martin0642

• Bike: CBF1000 F 2013
  • City / Town: Birmingham
How to fix buzzing mirrors?
« on: 21 September, 2020, 06:49:14 AM »
Morning all  :001:

So - I have stock mirrors on a Mk2, with mirror extenders. Anything over 5000rpm and they start vibrating so much the rear view gets quite messy, to say the least. Has anyone else had this and if so, have you managed to fix it?

Bit of background - I had a low speed off in March which crumpled the nose frame and destroyed the left nose cowl, so they've both been replaced and I've also had the fairings off multiple times in the past year to sort out head bearings, bent brake disc (courtesy of a cager who didn't look where he was going), I've resprayed both fairings with a custom paint job etc etc- but I wonder if i'm now missing a damper of some kind. I don't *think* I am but worth checking.

I tried longer aftermarket mirrors which fixed the 'only seeing elbows' issue but they still buzzed. I tried fixing them by injecting silicone in the rear of the mirror....but then found out the hard way that I used the wrong silicone as I watched it eat the mirroring over the course of a week or so. I am reluctant to try that again - although before it ate the mirror it worked incredibly well!

Any ideas folks? I'd quite like to see what happening behind me when I get up decent speeds!  :087:
« Last Edit: 21 September, 2020, 07:00:42 AM by Martin0642 »

Offline Philby21

• Bike: CBF1000-8
  • City / Town: Flint
Re: How to fix buzzing mirrors?
« Reply #1 on: 22 September, 2020, 10:26:53 PM »
Have you though of trying a thin layer (2mm) of rubber between the mirrors and the bike?  You can get sheets of it from fleabay for pennies, cut around the base of your mirrors using a sharp knife, put a couple of holes in for the bolts and hey presto - instant gaskets!  Bolt your mirrors back on them and away you go - hopefully.

I know early CBR6s had them as standard and it could potentially be a really cheap fix.

Phil

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
Re: How to fix buzzing mirrors?
« Reply #2 on: 24 September, 2020, 06:11:12 PM »
Not sure if that would work, Phil, as the screws will trtansmit the vibration (I tried that on my CB1300 and it didn't work on that)

Alan
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/