Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hello from Fermanagh, Northern Ireland  (Read 449 times)

Offline Steady Eddie

• Bike: 2006 CBF 1000
  • City / Town: ENNISKILLEN
Hello from Fermanagh, Northern Ireland
« on: 28 September, 2020, 11:51:06 PM »
Hello All, After 3 BMW boxers I have defected to Honda, bought a 2007 CBF that has been laid up for 3 years, so no doubt I will be picking the collective brains of you folks. So far I have removed the petrol tank, removed the fuel pump and emptied out two gallons of stinking liquid that once was petrol, along with a scary amount of rust flakes. Next step is the vinegar and the nuts and bolts to get rid of the remaining rust, then on to the fuel pump....

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Hello from Fermanagh, Northern Ireland
« Reply #1 on: 29 September, 2020, 01:31:51 AM »
 :405:

The SC58 CBF 1000 is an excellent choice for a Sports Tourer that ticks many boxes in its class. A big plus for me is the ease in which it can be serviced and maintained at home by the home mechanic without the need of any special tools or diagnostic equipment. My advice would be to replace all the fluids - engine oil, coolant, brake & clutch fluid and front fork oil. Maybe replace the air filter and spark plugs too. If its anywhere near or beyond 48,000 miles (72,000 km) you may want to check the valve clearances too. That way you'll know exactly where you are on the service schedule.

If you haven't already you can download the Honda Workshop and Owners Manuals here.

Offline Steady Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 30 September, 2020, 11:24:06 PM »
Thanks Art!

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
« Reply #3 on: 01 October, 2020, 09:33:58 PM »
 :401: :730: :730:

Offline Steady Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 02 October, 2020, 11:57:30 PM »
Well folks, I got my tank well cleaned out, several bottles of vinegar and the shaking around of nuts and bolts, followed by a few blasts of the power washer. I also cleaned the pump as best I could, wriggled the gauze filter thingy off and cleaned it, cleaned the plastic netting bundle that was cable tied around the gauze, cleaned the electrical contacts etc etc.
Put the tank back on outside in the dark ( not enough room in the shed to get around the bike) with assistance from long suffering wife, half a gallon of petrol and a squirt of injector cleaner, hit the starter and away she goes, sounds sweet!
Major relief, thanks Art for the advice, I will be changing the oil and filter and other fluids asap. I have already found this forum to be a great help, no doubt I'll be back looking for advice!
Eddie