Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Centre stand  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Johncbfer

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000gt
  • City / Town: Bangor
Centre stand
« on: 25 September, 2020, 12:08:45 AM »
Hi guys I hope this is posted in the correct section  is it just me or are  the cbf1000  bike difficult to place on the centre stand, thanks John

Online Rick

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000gt
  • City / Town: Matlock
Re: Centre stand
« Reply #1 on: 25 September, 2020, 08:07:32 PM »
I had the same problem trying to get the bike onto centre stand, which I only use in the garage whilst it is parked up. I initially found that  my weight was insufficient to lift the bike onto the stand. I now role the bike backwards onto a piece of wood 15-20mm thick under the rear wheel, my weight now lifts the bike easily onto the stand.   

Offline Johncbfer

• CBF Member
« Reply #2 on: 25 September, 2020, 08:17:19 PM »
Thanks Rick I will give that a try in the morning.

Offline davidjg

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-C GT
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #3 on: 26 September, 2020, 11:58:38 AM »
Had exactly the same problem with my new MK2 GT when I bought it. However have an aversion to to top boxes and to me the rack looks really ugly and ruins the look of the bike .Fortunately the dealer gave me the original passenger grips, so after a few months  ordered the pannier only rubber spacers/mounts. Took off the top box rack completely and converted the rear to panniers with passenger grips. Could not believe  how heavy the rack weighed!! The difference to the bike was incredible - not only could I get the bike on centre stand fairly easily but also the handling seemed to really improve.

As a simple test why not temporarily remove the rack (only takes about 10/15 minutes) and then try putting your bike on the centre stand -it will only take the same time to put the rack back on. If the experiment works it will be up to you to decide whether it is more important to you to put the bike on the centre stand or have a top box rack.

Online Rick

• CBF Member
« Reply #4 on: 28 September, 2020, 12:17:04 PM »
Thanks David, Will try removing the top box rack from my GT from a handling point of view, not really considered the weight of it and like you I don't like or ever use the top box. Just need some grab handles now !

Offline davidjg

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-C GT
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #5 on: 28 September, 2020, 04:04:11 PM »
Rick: you are going to be  really astounded by the weight of the rack. Apart from getting grab handles, you will also have to :-
1. Get  two new rubber spacing blocks (Honda parts) that sit between the pannier mounts and the grab handles (which I did to make everything blend in and look like it was designed like that) -  there  are  two different sets of blocks: one for for pannier/top box rack setups and the other for pannier/grab handle setups;  or
2. Somehow modify the existing rubber blocks to make the rear end look tidy.

Think I also got a set of new correct length cylindrical spacers to sit in the new rubber blocks, but if the existing ones are two long you could always cut them down to the right length.
Best of luck
David

Online Rick

• CBF Member
« Reply #6 on: 28 September, 2020, 09:56:19 PM »
Thanks David, I will get around to removing the rear rack during the next few days. I didn't realise that additional parts in addition to the grab handles are required, is this bought as a kit from Honda and do you know the approximate price. 

Offline knapdog

• CBF Master
  • '17 mk2, '18 Enfield Classic 500, '95 Honda C90,
  • City / Town: Barry, Vale of G
« Reply #7 on: 29 September, 2020, 08:25:58 AM »
I'm surprised that some find the bike difficult to get on to the centre stand.
1. Stand close to the bike with a straight back. Important.
2. Push the centre stand down with right foot, holding handlebars with left hand.
3. Slightly rock bike until you feel that both centre stand legs are firmly down.
4. Grab "grab" handle, or rack, with right hand.
5. Simultaneously, step up on to centre and pull on grab handle.
 The bike rolls over on to the stand easily and smoothly. You should not be pulling up on the handlebars.  They are just for steadying the bike.
Stay between the hedges!

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
« Reply #8 on: 29 September, 2020, 02:08:03 PM »
Just like that ^

It surprises me too as well as the number of times this subject crops up. Even fully laden with an over loaded top box, large tank bag and a pillion seat full of camping kit its not too much effort. Technique is key in getting any motorcycle on to its centre stand. As above pulling on the handle bars is a schoolboy error and just turns the task into an Olympic weight lifting event.

Of course if the dog bone (shock link) has been modified to lower the motorcycle and the centre stand hasn't been shortened it will require a little extra effort.

Offline Johncbfer

• CBF Member
« Reply #9 on: 02 October, 2020, 02:57:22 PM »
Thank you to all who replied, I'm now managing the centre stand thanks to your advice, I've owned countless big and heavy bikes over the years and can honestly say this one is the hardest to get on the centre stand. I have been searching for a rubber cover to put on the part of the centre stand you push down with your foot does anyone know where I could this, I have searched online to no avail, thanks again John

diverse-leafy