Author Topic: Going nowhere fast  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Flying Fox

• CBF Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Thornbury
Going nowhere fast
on: 09 September, 2020, 05:49:52 PM
This ruddy C-19 jag has wrecked all my biking plans - no long tours this year (or possibly even next year) and naff-all long distance day runs.   :019:

With the easing of restrictions, I thought a day touring Wellsh Wales was called for so, last Monday PM, drew up a plan to go round the Brecons/Rhyader/Bluith/Llandovery etc. etc. etc. Tuesday mid-morning I put on my gear and just had time to catch the news before I left - only to find Caerphilly locked down. Sod it. Cheerful old Kentish saying: "Whatever you do, you're wrong".  :010:

Ho hum, another circuit via Monmouth and the Western side of the Severn. At least there was no traffic.
"...and still the Red Queen cried, 'Faster! Faster!'"

Offline Flying Fox

• CBF Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Thornbury
Re: Going nowhere fast
Reply #1 on: 21 January, 2021, 07:40:05 PM
Just got the Biffer MOTeed. Last year, under the influence of Covid, I did a moon-and-back total of 1,137 miles. Given that I have managed a 3 1/2 mile walk every day as my daily exercise, plus extras like going to get the paper, walk to the bin, amble round the garden, etc. it means I have walked further than I have motorcycled. Karl Benz, eat your heart out.
"...and still the Red Queen cried, 'Faster! Faster!'"

Offline Philby21

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000-8
  • City / Town: Flint
Reply #2 on: 21 January, 2021, 09:30:41 PM
I know how you feel!

Picked up a CBF in June, done a grand total of around 300 miles, 150 of those were riding home after picking it up!  Managed a socially distanced ride out with a couple of friends and the wife (she's a biker too) around North Wales and I met the wife from work a couple of times just to get out of the house (been working from home since March).

Sat here with one of the best all round touring bikes there is and nowhere to go  :012:

Online Kentcolin

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000GT
  • City / Town: Rochester
Reply #3 on: 22 January, 2021, 08:32:12 AM
Yep, it's really frustrating, I guess all we can do is wait for things to get better. I would be fantastic to get two weeks holiday on the bike this year although I'd be grateful for a long weekend.. Anything,actually!

Online Steelworker

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: 2009 1000ABS
  • City / Town: London
Reply #4 on: 22 January, 2021, 02:55:57 PM
Yes, I can sympathise will all the above.
After 4 decades of camping rallies another possible year of lockdown is giving me severe withdrawl symptoms.
I did explore the possibility of finding a field somewhere, in the middle of nowhere and camping on my own but after the 4th January govt.notice,I can't do that either.
I always do an oil change mid January to prepare for the biking season but as virtually no mileage last year, I don't s'pose it's worth it. But there again, it's something to do!

Online Kentcolin

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000GT
  • City / Town: Rochester
Reply #5 on: 22 January, 2021, 05:02:54 PM
Steelworker,
              I loved doing bike rallies in the 80's. Did loads in the UK, Belgium,and Holland. must have 50 or 60 badges still. Great memories to be had by looking at them occasionally and reminiscing with mates. We loved the St.Nicks in Ostende at the old velodrome around the 6th December.

Online Steelworker

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: 2009 1000ABS
  • City / Town: London
Reply #6 on: 22 January, 2021, 06:39:44 PM
Kent Colin,
I know what you mean, they were brilliant days.  Rallies today though still have the great atmosphere (tempered somewhat by Health & Safety officialdom)!!
Let's hope later this year will recover on the biking social scene.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #7 on: 23 January, 2021, 04:10:04 AM
*Originally Posted by Steelworker [+]
Yes, I can sympathise will all the above.
After 4 decades of camping rallies another possible year of lockdown is giving me severe withdrawl symptoms.
I did explore the possibility of finding a field somewhere, in the middle of nowhere and camping on my own but after the 4th January govt.notice,I can't do that either.
I always do an oil change mid January to prepare for the biking season but as virtually no mileage last year, I don't s'pose it's worth it. But there again, it's something to do!

+1 I'm missing the Rallies too, was looking forward to a 'Special' 60th Dragon Rally this February but that has long since been cancelled. A Special 60th Dragon Rally is not looking good for the Dragons 61st year come February 2022 either :-(

On the engine oil change front my revised service schedule due to Covid will be to change the engine oil at 2 years because that is when the additives start to break down with the risk of forming sludge. The oil filter will not be changed but will be removed, drained of old oil and refitted. Other service items will not be neglected during the revised Covid service schedule and as usual everything will be documented so that servicing can be brought back inline with the Honda recommended schedule as soon as Covid has passed.