Author Topic: Running too hot? Follow up  (Read 966 times)

Offline Roybill

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Cbf1000 mk1
  • City / Town: Maynooth
Running too hot? Follow up
on: 02 September, 2020, 11:04:33 AM
Some time ago I posted a whingey kindof item regarding my Mark 1 2009 ABS CBF1000 running too hot. I feel I am duty bound to follow up with my post-repair experience. My symptoms were steam coming out from the radiator bay in large quantities, funny smells and general dissatisfaction. I replaced the radiator and a couple of months down the line the stator melted. My suspicions about the stator are pointed to the radiator which resulted in the temperature warning light coming on. The mechanic I used failed to diagnose the ratty rad and hence weeks of struggling with the bugger. This would not have been a healthy environment for an already old biffy stator. The replacement stator (spurious item) was installed incorrectly and the rectifier connector wire melted. The second stator was installed by a mechanic who had lots of Honda experience and it is still working happily after 3 months. Anyway it would seem my inexperience and gullibility when purchase my biffy from that piece of ........ :013: lead to my CBF1000 woes. Since changing the radiator and stator rectifier it has been the dream bike I had hoped it would be. No steam, no burning smells, just tork and good behaviour......fabulous machine. I have put on a road spray deflector extension on the front mudguard (thanks for the tip :046: CBF1000 forum). I will try to source a rad protector to delay replacement and will continue to be a happy biffy driver. One thing though. I havent put the thermostat back yet after taking it out to investigate the initial overheating issue. Is there any urgent need to do this? Also does anyone get the slightest hint of fuel fumes after riding for 30 mins? Just as an aside my Dianese galvastones although not generous enough around the beer bel.. around the waste kept me bone dry this morning in extremely heavy rain.  :028:

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Running too hot? Follow up
Reply #1 on: 07 October, 2020, 12:14:01 PM
Re-fit that thermostat.

The thermostats job is to keep the engine running at an optimum temperature. When the engine is too cold the thermostat closes, the coolant doesn't flow through the radiator and the engine warms up. When the engine gets too hot the thermostat opens, the coolant flows through the radiator and the engine cools down. Its this constant warming and cooling that keeps the engine at an optimum operating temperature. When the thermostat is removed the engine runs too cool, never reaching its optimum operating temperature because the coolant is constantly being cooled as it never stops flowing through the radiator. Maybe you knew that?

So how bad can that be? The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor signals the Engine Control Module (ECM) which adjusts the air:fuel ratio. This results in the engine running rich which in turn causes loss of power, poor fuel consumption, excessive carbon build up and premature engine wear. Worse case scenario of running an engine without a thermostat is a swan song at the knackers yard!

Offline Roybill

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: 07 October, 2020, 12:29:50 PM
Now that sounds like a good reason for dropping it back in. Its just running so well at the moment, a real pleasure to drive, but it IS time to start trusting the bike again. Nice one and much appreciated :152:

Offline Crispy

• CBF Pro
Reply #3 on: 07 October, 2020, 06:07:32 PM
Ive recently overhauled the cooling system with a new unpainted aluminium radiator, coolant system clean, and removed the crud from the front of the engine and oil cooler to aid heat dissipation as its in the wind. The bike is running better than ever. This engine is a real gem.

Offline Art

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Reply #4 on: 07 October, 2020, 06:25:08 PM
You may want to test that thermostat before you re-fit it. Suspend it a pan of water so that the thermostat isn't touching the sides or the bottom of the pan. Place a jam thermometer next to heat and observe. The thermostat should start to open between 80 to 84 C and be fully open at 90 C with 8 mm of valve lift.

Other causes of over heating you may want to check include insufficient coolant, insufficient engine oil, blocked radiator fins/core (note radiator guards partially block the fins) and water pump failure.

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Reply #5 on: 11 October, 2020, 02:41:34 PM
It is time to trust the bike again. 
By all accounts you've proven the fault and recified it, plus running with a new stator.

I do think the overheadting (that light is red for a reason) will have shortened the remaining life of your stator and the reason it failed when it did.  But they do fail and get changed (often just once).

Idling interest (see below) how many miles has the bike covered?
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Roybill

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: 11 October, 2020, 05:02:37 PM
30k miles approx. Cant put thermostat in yet as honda supply bloody thermostat rubber separately and although the new thermostat has been sitting in my shed for 4months i never checked for the oring.. doh! :125:

Offline Shed

• CBF Master
  • City / Town: Newcastle
Reply #7 on: 11 October, 2020, 09:24:50 PM
Don't know if you've sorted the O ring out, but for anyone after one, part number is 19305KV3010 less than a fiver from the likes of Fowlers or Wemoto.

Recent Posts

diverse-leafy